Author Topic: What is better - Ejector or Extractor?  (Read 805 times)

Offline Ridge Runner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
What is better - Ejector or Extractor?
« on: March 23, 2005, 01:05:47 PM »
What do you think would be better on a NEF rifle or shotgun - an ejector or an extractor?

What are your opinions? Does it matter? When and why?

When will NEF's make the changeover?

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Ejector-Extractor
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 01:28:12 PM »
If you reload your own shells for a rifle, it would be better to have an extractor.  Less time spent straightening brass leaves more time for fun emptying those reloads in the field or at the range.  Otherwise, I think it is just preference.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 01:34:37 PM »
Mechanical extractors are positive, the spring driven ejectors can leave a bit to be desired if your rifle has a tendancy to stick cases in the chamber. The ejector can be converted to a spring driven extractor if you so choose, but a lot of shooters like the ejector. A moot point since all new H&R rifles will eventually have extractors, like em or not.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=57514&highlight=extractor+ejector
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jk3006

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 04:42:30 PM »
I just bought my first handi, a .223.  I wanted the extractor, but they only came in ejectors.  Oh well.  So, I have over 400 rounds thru the gun, and I'm definately having stuck case problems.  And yeah, I reload.  I haven't nailed the problem down yet, but I tend to think the extractor wouldn't give me any problems.  

Jon

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 03:26:50 AM »
How quickly do you want or need to make a follow up shot?  If rapid follow up shots are important then the ejector saves time.

If you reload your brass then the exstractor my be the ticket because, as Cookieman pointed out, you don't have to search all over the ground for your brass.

On a related topic;  I  recall watching an OLN program a while back that featured a young lady who shot skeet on the US Olympic team.  She did something I had never seen done before. After taking her shots she would release the action catch on her O/U, then simultaneously rase her right hand to about her shoulder while allowing the weight of the gun butt stock open the action at which point she would snatch both empty shells out of the air as they were ejected from the gun.  :shock:  The procedure was so fluid it was a joy to watch and she performed this trick every time without missing a shell.  8)
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline aulrich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 04:57:37 AM »
JK3006

My 243 ultra has some sticking problems too, but for me it seems to be brass related.  As I found out there comes a point where the case does not resize correctly. I found that some cases took two hits in the die to fully resize. It turned out that my problem was mostly caused by certain  brands of brass, I ended up doing a cull of nearly half of my stock.

As a rule I now chamber all of my resized and trimmed brass before I prime them. If it protrudes at all it goes into a rework pile if it fails again I toss it.  Actually I make the judgement more by sound, the sound of the action closing is duller when the case is too long. Since I have stared this my stuck cases are almost non-exsitant.

Getting back on thread I'll have an opinion after the weekend I finally have the time ammo and weather so I can tryout my 204. But in my minds eye I'll like the extractor more we'll see if reality agrees with me
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline Joel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 05:23:21 AM »
Kinda depends on what's going on.  When deer hunting with the 45/70, the ejector definitely comes in handy.  Once I shoot, and I'm usually hunting in cold weather and in close cover, I keep my eye on where I shot and automatically reload the rifle without really looking at it.  Easy to lose track of where your shot went in heavy stuff; plus I'm trying to track both the deer I shot, plus the rest of the herd.  With the ejector, I don't have to try and fumble with picking the shell out with gloves....and lord knows a 45/70's no problem loading with them on.  I hardly ever find the ejected case, but it's worth it in this instance, since I've on occasion shot both my deer within a few seconds of each other.  With the 22 Hornet, the ejector is kind of a pain, since I don't like to lose the cases, and it slows me down to have to open the rifle slowly and catch the(high speed) case.  With the 12 guage, the ejector is a plus again, especially when hunting rabbits; and I don't reload shotgun.

Offline jk3006

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 04:33:52 PM »
Aulrich,

Yes, after visiting the 'smith today, it does apprear that my problem is at least in part, brass related.  Thanks for the comment

Jon

Offline nipprdog

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 08:02:00 AM »
Quote from: quickdtoo
Mechanical extractors are positive, the spring driven ejectors can leave a bit to be desired if your rifle has a tendancy to stick cases in the chamber. The ejector can be converted to a spring driven extractor if you so choose, but a lot of shooters like the ejector. A moot point since all new H&R rifles will eventually have extractors, like em or not.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=57514&highlight=extractor+ejector

rimfires too?

if so, I glad I got my 17HMRSportster before the conversion. :wink:

that being said, I wish my 223 was an extractor.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 08:17:24 AM »
Don't know for sure about the Sportsters, but I suspect them too since H&R told Mac they would be converting over to extractors only, eventually. The ejector can be converted to an extractor easy enough, it just won't be a mechanical extractor, just spring driven, works the same just not as positive if a stuck case is involved.

http://www.brimstonepistoleros.com/Articles/hr-ejector-mod.html

Offline Henry Dole

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 03:43:54 AM »
I am not to clear on what H&R is going to do about the ejector. Are the going to replace the spring ejector with a mechanical extractor? This would be fine. I think I would like to change my 223 ultra varmit to a mechanical extractor. I would rather have positive extraction than semi-positive ejection especially when varmit shooting - I get tired of chasing down the spent cases. I have never had a stuck case and I don't clean my Handi 223 any differently than any other gun. I do use nickel platted cases and I keep pressures low because high pressure is what causes barrel vibrations and the receiver to flex, and it helps the case to stick. These guns seem to be best suited to the low pressures of cartridges of the early part of the 20th century.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2005, 05:35:21 AM »
Henry, you can't convert the spring driven ejector to a mechanical extractor as comes with the new H&R rifles, the barrel underlug is different. The best that can be done is the spring driven extractor conversion. The pic below shows the old style on the bottom.

Offline Henry Dole

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2005, 06:17:04 AM »
Thanks for the input quickdtoo. I think I will forget about it until I do have sticky case problems and then maybe another barrel. What do you think about a super light weight youth 243 with light 100gr. loads for a 12 year old? What would be the best way to approach accuracy?  :roll:

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2005, 07:27:11 AM »
Lots of folks here shoot the superlight .243, most have good accuracy with the lighter bullets and with the some of the 100gr loads if they have the right one, but in general, the superlight accuracy is kinda hot and cold, just depends on how long you have to keep trying different loads to find the right one. I would also think the suplerlight might have a little more recoil than a 12yr old would tolerate, but that probably depends on the size of the youngster. With the 80gr-90gr bullets, it might not be so bad, though.  I'll have to defer this question to those that have actually shot the superlight .243 to really answer that question for you properly. If you start a new thread with this topic, you'll surely get the info you need in a prompt manner.

Tim