Author Topic: Would you buy one?  (Read 1234 times)

Offline mag41vance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Would you buy one?
« on: March 25, 2005, 01:55:00 AM »
Ive seen some troubling things posted about the .44 mag NEF as of late.
I was getting ready to order one but I'm having second thoughts.
What is your opinion. Would you buy an NEF with the microgroove , or a Marlin lever gun with deep cut ballard rifling?

PS
Yes Graybeard, I'm getting rid of the Ruger 96-44 that you said was a POJ. You were right, I was wrong.
 I did manage one good load for it but thats too much work for one load.
no x now!

Offline bigjeepman

Would you buy one?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 02:04:17 AM »
I'd buy the Marlin. I have one in .45 colt and it has become my favorite rifle.
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline TomD

• Avid Poster
Would you buy one?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 02:04:48 AM »
I don't have an NEF 44 Mag, but I do have a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 w/ the Ballard rifling. It's very accurate. I have the Williams FP rear sight & a green Williams Fire site in the front.

I really like it, so far.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Would you buy one?
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 02:44:29 AM »
PS
Yes Graybeard, I'm getting rid of the Ruger 96-44 that you said was a POJ. You were right, I was wrong.

My what a surprise.  :eek:  NOT!

Sorry it didn't work out for ya but if it had then I would have honestly been surprised. Not one of Ruger's better ideas.

Can't speak to the NEF guns as I own only one an old .30-30 H&R with full length forend. BUT I can speak to the Marlin lever rifles in .44 Magnum and that's the route I'd take. Or if you don't want to scope it then one of the Rossi model 92s in .44 magnum. I have an old Marlin 336 in .44 magnum and an EMF Hartford 92 in .45 Colt and another LSI Puma which is a Rossi 92 also in .357 mag. Good guns all.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
Would you buy one?
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 08:19:16 AM »
Quote from: Graybeard
PS

My what a surprise.  :eek:  NOT!

Sorry it didn't work out for ya but if it had then I would have honestly been surprised. Not one of Ruger's better ideas.

Can't speak to the NEF guns as I own only one an old .30-30 H&R with full length forend. BUT I can speak to the Marlin lever rifles in .44 Magnum and that's the route I'd take. Or if you don't want to scope it then one of the Rossi model 92s in .44 magnum. I have an old Marlin 336 in .44 magnum and an EMF Hartford 92 in .45 Colt and another LSI Puma which is a Rossi 92 also in .357 mag. Good guns all.

Thanks GB,
 Eating that crow wasn't too bad after all.

If I can find an older H&R .44 mag with standard rifling I'll go that direction. If not the Marlin will more than likely get the nod.
no x now!

Offline jeff223

Would you buy one?
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 10:19:47 AM »
RV can you say  :shock: CONTENDER :shock:
not bad mouthing the handi rifles at all but have you ever thought about "CONTENDER"

Offline marv

• A Real Regular
44 Handi
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 10:55:11 AM »
Vance I have a 44 mag Handi I like it. not enough time to shoot,
 like I would like, Good Luck Marv.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Would you buy one?
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 11:10:19 AM »
Vance:

I know a bunch of guys who has the 44 mag in the Marlins...sweet shooting guns...one in all...as to which one would I buy????? If I wanted a repeater...I'd get the Marlin...and of course if I wanted a single shot...I would get the Handi...that choice only you can make....but truth be told here...if I was going to recomend a Marlin Lever action to anyone...I would suggest to get one in 45-70...in any configuration they make now...I've owned 4 of them. from the 26" Cowboy...down to 2 of the 18" Stainless Guide Guns...ported and unported....and every one would hold a 1"  5 shot group @100 yards with the right ammo...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
Would you buy one?
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 11:21:50 AM »
Quote from: jeff223
RV can you say  :shock: CONTENDER :shock:
not bad mouthing the handi rifles at all but have you ever thought about "CONTENDER"

Yes I have considered that. I have an Encore rifle that is perhaps the finest shooter I own, and getting a .44 mag barrel for it would run me about $250.00 plus shipping.
 A complete SB2 .44 mag would run me around $210.00, and give me the bonus of not tying up my Encore .30-06 when the .44 barrel is needed.

The NEF makes the most sense but I've been hearing some concerning compliants as of late, so I'm not sure what to do.

I'm glad Marv gave a :thumbs up:   I know Marv wouldn't lead me astray.

Hmmm , that .45-70 sounds like a tempting choice as well.
no x now!

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
Would you buy one?
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 12:57:10 PM »
my 44 mag hanid shoots great, i would highly reccommend it to anyone that was looking to buy one. Mine is a couple of years old and i dont really know about the newer ones but if u can find one that is used i would say go it. As for the marlin, i'm not really big for repeaters. Its up to you only you can make the decision.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• A Real Regular
Would you buy one?
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 01:15:48 PM »
Vance,
May I also suggest going the .45-70 route if you go Marlin?  I have an 1895GS with a scout setup.  Fast handling and super accurate.

Jim
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
Would you buy one?
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005, 04:15:49 PM »
I like my 44 mag.barrel,even if it only shoots 1.25" groups at 50 yds. With 22.5 grs. of H 110 and a 300 gr. XTP it goes 1636 fps. I rechambered it to 445 super mag and the same bullet goes 1977 fps.With 31 grs. of 296.  The 240 gr. XTP goes 2136 with 32.5 grs. of 296. Very little recoil with the 44 mag.,and a lot of fun to shoot. It shoots the 300 gr. hard cast bullets about the same as the jacketed ones. Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
Would you buy one?
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2005, 02:42:51 AM »
I have the Synthetic 44 Mag handi rifle. I can't imagine what problems anyone could be having with them. Mine shoots very well with everything that I have tried in it. 240 grain cast for small game and Hornady XTP's for bigger game. It shoots the 200 XTP best but will group well out to 100 yards with most any jacketed bullet. Never had ant mechanical trouble with it at all. Its about the last handi that I would ever give up.
shot placement is everything.

Offline JPH45

Would you buy one?
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2005, 02:16:28 PM »
The only trouble I've had with mine would have been easily solved by slugging the bore right off the bat. Had I done that I'd have probably gotton rid of perhaps my most favorite rifle ever. as it is, I struggled and pulled my hair out and shot a hell of a lot bullets. In the end, if I could only have one of my Handis it would be the 44, and know I'm pleased as punch with my 38-55 barrel. You can spend more money, I don't know if that will translate into more gun.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline tanoose

• A Real Regular
Would you buy one?
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2005, 08:27:00 AM »
Mag41 I'll give you my opinion, i would go with the lever action i like having 10-11 rounds. I like the looks of the marlin 1894ss  but i also like the looks of the winchester trails end  . They both sport 20" barrels then theres the winchester 94 Legecy with a 26" barrel which should give you a little more velocity. One thing though i would ask on the forums about these guns as the Marlin has a 1in 38" twist and the winchesters have a 1 in 26" twist  this may be in favor of the winchesters if you are planning on using bullets heaiver then the 240 gr. weight. Do a little research first  And let us knoiw what you decide . Good luck

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
.44's
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2005, 09:57:55 AM »
I have a Marlin Cowboy II in .44 mag and I's have to say it's my favorite rifle. In fact I often wonder why I even own any others. Except my 39A. I like the way it hangs sort of like a muzzleloader with a lot of weight up front.
  I put a Williams Guide sight on mine to make it more handy.
        Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline mr.frosty

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Would you buy one?
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2005, 02:01:02 PM »
Ok fellows, I found a handi in 450, the one I found is at least 2 years old
and they are asking 250.00 for it. I think its a little being that I found one in 500 for 204 and change.
The question is should I talk the seller down or grab the rifle before someone else does? I dont need it cause I got a 45/70 1895, but it is a handi.
" People should say what they mean and mean what they say. Life is too short to be lead down the wrong path."

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Would you buy one?
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2005, 03:09:06 PM »
There is a brand new Handi rifle in .450 Marlin at the Milo, Maine True Value Hardware store. I saw it passing through last week but was not interested. I an not sure of the price but $250 sounds about what I think it was priced at. If anyone is interested. I also think there was another one, possibly used at the Three Rivers Sporting goods store in Medway, Maine. If anyone is interested I could do a little research and let you know where they are and the asking price. I found my as new Tracker I at Three Rivers last week and they are always willing to deal a little, at least that has been my experience when I am there with cash in hand....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
Would you buy one?
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2005, 03:48:28 PM »
OK, here's the scoop. I found a Marlin.444, with a 22" barrel in excellent condition for $300.00 bucks and I plan on stuffing it into my safe sometime next week.

My son convinced me to go with it. So any good loads for the .444 lever-gun would be appreciated.
no x now!

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
Would you buy one?
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2005, 04:21:13 PM »
47.5GR reloader 7 & a 265gr hornady .430  2200fps out of a 18in ported barrel. One loud  :biggun:

Have it set up with a peep & a fire sight if I can do my part gives me MOA but more like1.5-2in at a 100. would do MOA allday with a scope
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline JPH45

Would you buy one?
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2005, 04:23:56 PM »
I'd look pretty hard at AA1680 or WC 680 and 265 grain or heavier bullets. Layne Simpson says this is THE powder for 444. You'll find plenty of data on 4198, 3031, Reloder 7 and such. The 444 will drive pistol bullets to ludicrous speed. Stay with the Hornady 265, the Speer 270 Gold Dot and the XTP 300 for hunting bulelts. Pistol bullets are fun to drive fast but are good for little else. You have a awesome deer thumper there.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc