Author Topic: 17 CCM  (Read 897 times)

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
17 CCM
« on: May 26, 2005, 04:20:25 PM »
Can someone tell me everything or at least something about this round?

I was thinking this might be a good way to get the performance of the 17 hm2 out of an encore with out getting especial adapter

Offline rodgervich

• Trade Count: (0)
CCM
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 07:02:00 PM »
I don't have one but will tell you what I have read.
The .17CCM is smaller than a .17 Hornet and a little bigger than a .17 HMR. Brass is available from only one or two sources, is somewhat expensive and quality seems hit/miss. On the plus side, it takes very little powder, never overheats and does not seem to copper foul since velocity is not super high.
An alternative would be .17 Squirrel which is a short .17 Hornet and can be formed from .22 Hornet brass. I imagine you could load a Squirrel with 15gr Berger bullets and get down to HMR/HM2 performance.
I understand that the CCM brass is made from Hornet brass but requires machining of the rim/head.
This is second hand info so take it for what it's worth.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
17 CCM
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 07:50:08 AM »
Please tell me all you know about the .17 Squirrel

Offline rodgervich

• Trade Count: (0)
Squirrel
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 05:19:52 PM »
Again, no personal experience loading or shooting the .17 Squirrel but...
It is a short cartridge based on the .22 Hornet case, case length is just under 1.0" long, 20gr bullets can go up to 3,000ft/s or more. Case forming is a bit of a chore, I made a form die set for a guy and tried it out, seems like it was 3 steps plus FL. You have to trim a lot off the original case and several people have modified some mini chop saws from Harbor Frieght to use a quick brass choppers to make this easier. Loads run from 5-8grains of fast powder and the small capacity makes it VERY sensitive to load variations so you need a good measure or hand weigh for optimal accuracy. Supposed to be tons of fun once the brass forming is over with!
More information is available in "The Sensational Seventeens" (.17 CCM also) and in the magazine Small Caliber News- Summer Edition 1998, Vol1, No.2, both available from the Woodchuck Den 330-897-0614 http://www.woodchuckden.com, but when I ordered one issue he sent and charged for the entire year which I did not ask for or expect. I think the magazine is under new management but don't know what that may have changed, I don't have a subscription only a few issues.
Also lots of info at www.saubier.com, small caliber enthusiast forum, helpful folks.