Author Topic: .50 Caliber 5 Shot Old Army  (Read 1284 times)

Offline Fiveshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
.50 Caliber 5 Shot Old Army
« on: November 06, 2004, 03:51:15 PM »
:D The postman just delivered this Friday. It is a 5 shot .50 caliber Old Army. It is the creation of David Clements. After I get a chance to shoot it a bit I will give a full report. I will be chronographing both round balls and conicals. The recommended propellant is Triple 7.

http://imageevent.com/fiveshooter/ccgoa

Billy

"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level then beat you with experience." Not sure who first said this,but it makes sense.
Best Regards,
                   Billy

Offline Savorino

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
WOW
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2004, 11:09:41 PM »
"This is the most incredible thing I have ever seen."   Butthead
"and remember, always keep your stick on the ice".

Offline yooper

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 07:27:39 AM »
Please,by all means keep us posted on this..including charges,accuracy and penetration...That is one beautiful iron ya got there.. Enjoy!

Offline Mike C

• http://mattbeltonoutfitters.com
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 02:04:57 PM »
Helo Fiveshooter,  I have been out shooting mine twice now.  I use an empty .475 case soldered to a twisted copper wire for a powder scoop.  With the mount baldy bullet and a wonder wad it is about the perfect volume.  With the .490 balls there is room for more 777 but that amount is a super accurate load.  The balls shoot about 5" lower than the bullets at 25 yd's.

One thing I did was machine the nose of the tamp to match the nose of the bullets, this helps to line up the cylinder perfectly and doesn't deform the bullet at all.  I have ordered another to machine to match a ball, the stock one deforms the balls pretty good but they are still accurate.   I really like mine and I think you will like yours.

Mike C

Offline Fiveshooter

Mike, I have the same problem with the ram
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 05:10:18 PM »
Mike,
        I ran into the same thing today and had already thought of the same fix. The gun is very accurate but the idea of one ram doing both a round ball and a flat nose bullet just does not work to my satisfaction. I noticed the deformation right away. I will be machining the one that David sent with the gun flat (or asking David to do it) and I will be ordering an extra one to have the end machined to match the exact radious of the .490 round ball. We seem to be thinking alike here. Have you spoke to David yet about this? I plan on talking with him about this in the next few days.

http://imageevent.com/fiveshooter/ccgoa

Best Wishes,
                  Billy
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level then beat you with experience." Not sure who first said this,but it makes sense.
Best Regards,
                   Billy

Offline Mike C

• http://mattbeltonoutfitters.com
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 01:28:52 AM »
Third time out yesterday with the .50.  I found out that there is zero advantage to the fitted ball rammer piston.  I loaded a cylinder with the radiused ram, shot at 25 yd's then loaded five with the ram that fits the mount baldy bullet which deformed the balls quite a bit.  No measurable difference in accuracy.  Maybe at long range it would make a difference.

Mike C

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 06:40:17 AM »
That is one beautiful revolver. We had a thread a while back about a .50 caliber revolver and I contacted a few modern revolver builders about it, but they weren't interested. Said that there was no market for 'em.
  A long time ago, a group of us experimented with different rammer face profiles. We came to the conclusion that for balls, a flat face was as good as anything else. As long as the ball was seated below the cylinder face and down on the powder, the flat faced rammer left the least marking on the ball. As for conicals, I have never been able to get them seated squarely on a regular basis. Maybe a slug with a longer shank area would be the way to go-along the lines of a wadcutter.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline Krazyhorse

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004, 09:49:50 PM »
That is one beautiful revolver! That would make a really really really nice Christmas present for me :wink:

Offline Pennsylvania Newt

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2005, 10:33:28 PM »
How much does this gun cost.  Do you have a web address for the maker.  I am very interested in one of these.  WOW!!!!!!!

Pennsylvania Newt  8)

Offline Jack Crevalle

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2005, 02:35:36 AM »
This gives me tingly feeling in my nether regions.

Offline mec

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2005, 12:25:57 PM »
We had this revolver at a CSA event in Arkansas. Several people shot it with excellent results.  The most outstanding performance came when a guy hit five for five on an 8/10" swinging gong at sixty yards.  He was free-standing using both hands.
Guns are like the vote. They work best when everybody has one
Oliver Wendell Holmes