Author Topic: What rest for sighting in?  (Read 382 times)

Offline hunt4570

• Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
    • Harley FLT?FLH bikes and Rides
What rest for sighting in?
« on: April 18, 2005, 02:54:42 AM »
I have a Redhawk 7 1/2 in 44 mag w/iron sights. What do you use for a rest to sight in? Do you rest just on the bbl or bbl and grip?Soft rest or hard rest?What is your procedure for sighting in and at what distance Thanks SGB :D
PETA.....P eople  E ating  T asty  A nimals

Come visit my forum  http://forums.delphiforums.com/anyride/start

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 03:09:58 AM »
hunt4570:  I would use a soft rest, like a sandbag or a piece of rolled carpet and I would not put the barrel on the rest.  I usually place the frame near the front of the trigger guard where the barrel screws into the frame.  This should give you a pretty solid rest.  

If you rest the barrel it will throw your shots off, especially as the barrel heats up.  Also, if leaves your hand(s) without support which leads to what I refer to as 'shooter shake' - that's when I get so much wobble at my end that I can't hold the sights steady at the barrel end (lol).

What you need to do is to set up your rest so you are in the most comfortable position possible so you don't overstress when trying to sight the gun in.  I try to sit at the same level as the sights, so I don't have to adjust (I have a Winchester shooting rest with an elevation adjustable rest and it works great for me)  and then let the gun shoot to see where it hits.  

As for distance - I start at the 25 yd mark and go from there to the max distance I would shoot at a game animal.  I have purchased a number of guns from folks who felt they should start at the maximum distances, were never able to hit the target or group the gun, and sold it off after a disappointing couple of boxes of ammo.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 06:16:33 AM »
I usually place the frame near the front of the trigger guard where the barrel screws into the frame also.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline jro45

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 07:16:36 AM »
With all my handguns I use two 5"x5" sand bags and a 4x4 piece of wood
 I put one sand bag on top of the 4x4 and the other I use to support the stock of the gun with me holding it. For the shorter barrels I put the trigger guard up on the bag on the 4x4. For longer barrels I use the bag on top of the 4x4 to support the barrel with the other bag under the stock
That will give you a solid rest. :D