Author Topic: does shooting scare deer out of an area  (Read 1425 times)

Offline C.J

• Trade Count: (0)
does shooting scare deer out of an area
« on: July 17, 2005, 02:19:04 PM »
just curious i shoot in the back 40 of my property to sight my guns in and practice with them i also deer hunt in this area i usually shoot a couple times a month and then stop 2-3 months before the deer season opens is this going to scare the deer off my property

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 02:36:22 PM »
I have a buddy that lets me hunt on his land. Right across the street he has a shooting range and a trap & skeet range. People shoot there all the time. There are people shooting there all the time. Well I shot a nice 7 point with my bow about 300 yards from the trap and skeet range while they were shooting that day. To make a long story deer will stay around.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 03:41:29 PM »
We have to call ceasefire from time to time on the range I belong to due to deer and turkey walking out during live fire. Dogs chasing deer is another story.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 03:47:37 PM »
:D I know of two places in the loacl area that have active (year round) shooting ranges.  Both places have deer in and on the range.  I have been told they often come out about dark on the edge of the skeet range.  Its funny how they adapt to changes in their range, several years ago a friend working on a drilling rig said the deer would come in and walk all over the area that had been cleared by the oil company.  I have seen them walk up to an oil pump and sniff the machine.  

I think they get use to the noise or activity and it doesn't phase them.  The gravel road going into my place is well used, the deer will stand along the fence and watch the cars go by, doesn't bother them at all.  I have taken my foot off the gas and let the truck roll to a stop with-in 20-25 feet of deer, they would look up and just walk away.  My son and I rolled up on a 12 point buck that just stood next to the fence and watched for 3-4 minutes.  He and I were talking, I thought it was a decoy put out by the parks and wildlife until it jumped the fence and crossed the road.

But come deer season..............it's often a diffrent story.

Offline jhm

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 07:15:07 AM »
We shoot on our place year long, and it doesnt seem to effect the deer, we do however like you cease the shooting when it gets closer to the season, no sence on taking a chanch and spook them off, the deer are funny about watching us load round bails of hay onto the tractor they will just let you drive amoung them watching, ( not offering to help ) :D   JIM

Offline YoungInMN

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 02:20:30 PM »
I could hear my uncle driving his uniloader around all day where i used to hunt and id see plenty of deer. Where i deer hunt now is 40 yds from where i trap shoot and sight in my rifle and theres no problem seeing deer. IMO deer get used to the sounds you make and adapt. They get used to hearing your truck, ATV's and talking. MY dad saw a buck 30yds away from our cabin while he was taking a piss, 11 am during deer season.