Author Topic: Lost biker in the woods.  (Read 636 times)

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Lost biker in the woods.
« on: April 06, 2005, 04:33:50 PM »
I had to go down county after work today so I drove pass one of my favorite hunting spots on the way home and there was a bunch of State police and Maryland DNR police at one of the parking areas for the state forest that I hunt. Seems a young man had went out mountian biking and had not returned.  Well since I know the area very well I volunteered to help with the search.  It looked like the guy didn't think about how fast the sun sets in the mountains.  He rode his bike off of a hill of about 30 degrees and crashed and burned about half way down.  We carried his dumb butt out about 2 miles to the EMt waiting for him.
God must love fools or this guy would have died......
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Lost biker in the woods.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 02:50:18 AM »
That was really nice of you...Didn't the dimwit have a cell phone on him?
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
Lost biker in the woods.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 05:10:22 AM »
Nice job, Dave.  I'm from Md and was wondering where that may have occurred.  I'm outside the Frederick area.  I do a lot of hunting up on the mountain.  There are many bike trails all through that area.  Can't tell you how many times I've been early season hunting and have had a cyclist riding through.  Saw one wreck from going to fast.  When I stepped off my stand, he just about had a heart attack.  I suggested that he be careful, because he was biking in state hunting reserve and I wasn't the only hunter out there.  He brushed himself off, didn't worry about checking his wounds, thanked me and rode off.  

EVOC ONE

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Lost biker in the woods.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 09:53:02 AM »
This happen in the Patuxent River State Park it lies between Montgomery and Howard counties.  And no he didn't have a cell phone on him.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
Lost biker in the woods.
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 02:18:39 PM »
Hello Dave.  I know that area well.  I usually hunt off the Long Corner Rd section.  I've encounter more horse riders than cyclists, though.  The horses make me nervous.  I never know how to react when they come by.  I'm concerned about spooking them and having the riders get thrown.  A couple times I have encountered them while walking to my stand.  In those circumstances I try to make a lot of noise.  One of the dilemma's when hunting on state lands.

Maryland is rapidly becoming over crowded for hunting.  Used to be some great hunting in this state.

EVOC ONE

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
Lost biker in the woods.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 03:07:48 PM »
Hello, DaveH.
I saw your post last evening, right after it went up......I wanted to respond, but spent some time considering what to say that would be appropriate......

anyway......

Thanks for sharing that event with us, I'm glad that you were able to be there!
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!