Author Topic: New Member with Huntsman Shotgun  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Sluice

• Trade Count: (0)
New Member with Huntsman Shotgun
« on: March 25, 2005, 02:45:31 AM »
Hi folks

I am new to this board and look forward to your input and ideas.

I see several posts about wanting a Huntsman Shotgun, well I have one and have been shooting it for about 10 years. It is an old model with a screw-in breech plug and a plain 28 inch barrel with no choke. It comes with the standard collapasble ram rod.

It has served me well and done in its share of rabbits and tree rats. I am going to develop some duck loads with bismuth this year and give that a go.

It is very particular on how you load it as it can be grumpy if the flame channel (don't know what else to call the opening between the nipple and the end of the breech block) is not clean.

My standard load is 70 grns of Geox 2F with 70 grns of shot

Heavy load is 80 grns of 2F with 90 grns of shot.

I have gone as heavy as 90 grns of powder but it stings a little at that charge and the patterns are no better.

Sluice

Offline MTNMAN

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 03:11:40 AM »
Sluice,
Welcome to the board.... And Thanks for the Load info on your Ol' Huntsman Shot Gun.... Now if we could get NEF to re-introduce that Puppy you'd see alot of happy campers on the board.... Me I want one for Turkey and figure that 28" barrel would reach out and drop Ol' Tommy Three Toes right in his tracks..... Of course I wouldn't mind a few Updates such as fibre optics and a scope rail, screw in choke tubes...maybe a Mossy Oak Camo stock and forearm....MTNMAN :wink:
Patience comes with age & you can't teach common sense

Jeff Gannon who was known to his many friends here as Mtnman passed away the other day. 09-27-05

Offline mangulator

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 05:38:50 AM »
Welcome to the forum  :D  MTNMAN hope to hear more reports on that shotgun and maybe one day NEF/H&R will get it back into production.

Offline mangulator

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 05:56:42 AM »
Sorry, MTNMAN but I wanted to welcome Sluice, just having a moment. I was so excited to hear someone had a Huntman Shotgun muzzle Loader....I just lost it for a minute :-D

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 07:25:00 AM »
Welcome aboard Sluice!

I too, am one of those waiting for H&R/NEF to reintroduce the Huntsman Shotgun. :grin:
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Sluice

Huntsman shotgun
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 11:25:55 AM »
Just came back from the Calgary Gunshow (largest one in Canada) and saw a mint Huntsman 12 gauge. It was a little pricey at $295 Canadian but also it was the only other one that I hav seen.

sluice

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 02:43:39 AM »
:D , Welcome aboard Sluice!! It's nice to have you join our ranks. You bring experience with a gun that many here, myself included, would like H&R to re-introduce.
A muzzleloading BP shotgun would be a great addition to their lineup....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley