Author Topic: scope mounting question  (Read 1007 times)

Offline travis

• Trade Count: (0)
scope mounting question
« on: February 25, 2003, 08:48:46 AM »
Just going to order some scope mounts when i thought about something.  Everyone says they want their scope mounted as low to their rifle as possible so they tend to stay away from those
see-through mounts. just wondering what difference it makes how high or low the scope is from the center of the bore?

thanks for any replies.

travis

Offline chk

• Avid Poster
scope mounting question
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2003, 10:22:35 AM »
When you shoulder your rifle it is best if your cheek is on the comb of the stock and your eye is centered in the scope. Your mount to the rifle is the most solid this way. Ever notice how high the scope on a M-14 is? Look at a M21 sniper version of a M-14 is and how the stock comb is adjustable like target rifles. The objective bell on the scope determines how low you can mount it. There are after market products to raise the comb height. I use one on my Win. M52 since it has the original drop at comb for iron sights. It's not pretty but works and slips on so it doesn't hurt anything. European scope mounts tend to be high for some reason. Even without the big objective lens they tend to use.

Offline Zachary

scope mounting question
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2003, 11:07:25 AM »
Virtually all of my scopes have 50mm objectives.  In fact, one has a 56mm objective.  As such, you can imagine how high some of these mounts are, especially the super high mounts for the 56mm scope. But having high mounts really don't bother me.

Zachary

Offline KN

scope mounting question
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2003, 12:55:28 PM »
I'm with Zachary on this one. Find the set that is comfortable to see through. I have had some that were too low and made it dificult to sight comfortably. Just be aware that sight hight does affect trajectoy when zeroing your rifle.  KN

Offline travis

scope mounting question
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2003, 01:00:15 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. Just one more question though- how exactly does  it affect the trajectory when zeroing  in?

thanks
travis

Offline chk

• Avid Poster
scope mounting question
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2003, 03:08:36 PM »
The higher the mount,the longer the point blank zero. The closer to the bore,the closer the point of aim up close. See through mounts will hold to 3" above or below line of sight out farther than a low mount. I still want a low mount.   :D

Offline KN

scope mounting question
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2003, 03:42:21 PM »
Use a computer trajectory program and change the scope hight variable only, and you'll see what I mean. It changes your shorter and longer shot drop from zero by more than you would guess. What I mean by that is set zero at 100yds and compare bullet impact at 50, 75,125,150yd etc.  I found this to be considerable if your setting zero out at 250-300yds.  KN