Author Topic: Easy cleaning of revolver cylinders  (Read 828 times)

Offline jcunclejoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Easy cleaning of revolver cylinders
« on: April 22, 2005, 12:49:45 PM »
This is the method I have been using for years with great success. It has saved me countless hours of scrubbing.

I use a rifle brush of at least .020 over barrel bore diameter chucked up in a cordless drill. Example a .375 rifle brush for a 38/357 cylinder.

Just apply your favorite solvent to the brush and spin the brush backwards into each chamber. ( it keeps the brush from un-screwing from the threaded shank, at least on Pro-shot brushes) Make sure to run the brush completely through but be careful not to let the drill chuck touch the cylinder. In one, or at worst, two passes the cylinder is spotless.
Then clean out the chambers and you are done with the cylinder.

This method also tends to very gently polish the inside surface of the chambers. I have been doing it for years and have not enlarged a single chamber. Of course ONLY use bronze brushes.

I hope this saves someone some time and sells many rifle brushes.
Joe

Offline mr.frosty

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 02:38:01 PM »
what about the phosphor or nylon brushes and using your technique?
" People should say what they mean and mean what they say. Life is too short to be lead down the wrong path."

Offline Questor

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 02:29:44 AM »
Thanks for the tip.

I use a similar concept for bore cleaning. I use a 50 caliber rifle brush for a 45 caliber bore. It's a bit tighter and it gets the crud out easier. A .475 brush is good too for the 45.  Otherwise my use is conventional, using a rod and no power tools.
Safety first

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 02:42:12 AM »
I never have a problem just using a brush and cleaning rod. I never had to clean my cylinders out for hours.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline HouseofCash

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005, 04:50:42 AM »
I typical day of shooting my .44MAG. is only about 50 rounds. After that Im to shaky in the wrist to keep shooting well. And, as with all my guns, the first thing I do when I get home is clean, clean, clean.

So brushes, rod and pads, with a little cleaner works fine for me. I have found ways to get done faster, thats about it.

But what ever works for the gun owners that own them, Im all for it. Lets keep thoughs guns around awhile.

Dave.
GSSF Member

Offline jcunclejoe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 08:46:16 AM »
Mr Frosty, the phosphor brushes you asked about are bronze brushes and the method might work with the nylon brushes. The nylon brushes are so soft it may not work very effectively.

This method cleans a cylinder up very fast, only about two or three seconds per chamber. It just saves a little elbow grease. I am a firm believer in energy conservation (MINE).

Shoot well and shoot often.
Joe