Author Topic: Update to the "What should I do post"  (Read 484 times)

Offline HouseofCash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Update to the "What should I do post"
« on: April 08, 2005, 06:46:16 PM »
Well it finally happened with that damn pit-bull.

Here is the story in full.

Today while out in my fathers yard, we were just doing some work stumping a few tree stumps and making them level to mow over. About 2 hours into the job that kids pit-bull got out of his pin, so I was keeping an eye out for him didn't see him for about 30 minutes or so and before i knew it I was telling my dad to watch out, because the dog was behind him and coming in pretty fast. I was 25 or 30 feet behind my dad and I noticed two things, one he has a bad leg and I knew he could not run to safety and two he did not have his gun on him. He told me later that "he did not want to get it dirty while working with the mess of the trees."

So I made my way over to my dad fastly and got between him and the pit-bull. When I did that the dog jumped at me and took a bite, it did not do anything to my arm, but took half the arm of my wind breaker off. Lucky I had it on, there just happened to be a cool breeze out today in my neck of the woods today, it was kinda cloudy and over cast.

Well, that was all I needed I was able to defend my self at will from that point on. I was CCing today like most every day. I had an old 1979 FIE .25ACP that my dad bought new and gave to me meany years ago. Its a great pocket pistol and I like it more then the new .32 DAO kel-tecs of today.

I shot once hitting him in the lower neck, making him steep back a few feet. He took off at a shaky pase to our fence line and I knew I had to finish the dog off. He fellabout 30 yards from our fence line, were he was bleeding quite abit and breathing heavy, so I fired two more rounds into the top of his head and he died instantly after that.

I went right inside my house were I called 911 to make a report, thinking there might be a chance I could get into trouble for what had happened. But, since I had the wind breaker that was bitten up it was more then anuff to show the police man that I did it in defence, plus the pit-bull was im my yard.

For the most part not only did the cop say I did what he would have done, but, because the dog was on our yard and bit me with proof to show,Ican press charges I have a few days to follow up on them.

So what do you thing Press them or no? The dog was hold off by the city.

Dave.
GSSF Member

Offline MS Hitman

• A Real Regular
Update to the "What should I do post&q
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 07:57:01 PM »
Hell yes you need to press charges to the fullest extent allowed by law.  If you get sued for killing this "poor beloved pet", you want to stack the deck in your favor as heavily as possible.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 01:11:39 AM »
I would press charges, no questions asked.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 04:12:25 AM »
Quote from: MS Hitman
Hell yes you need to press charges to the fullest extent allowed by law.  If you get sued for killing this "poor beloved pet", you want to stack the deck in your favor as heavily as possible.

beyond any shadow of a doubt,  yes.   these jerks that owned this dog need to be held accountable.   otherwise, another dog will take it's place.  were i you, i would request that the d.a. add into any plea bargain that these people agree not to own another pitbull,  rottweiler, bulldog, etc.  make it legal and enforcable.    also bring a civil suit.    irresponsible dog owners need to be held accountable.   if not,  you will find yourself in the same situation all too soon.   remember, you tried to be a good guy about it all.   take it to the fullest extend of the law.

i am very happy that you and your father are o.k. ; and that your problem is fixed (for now).  take the next steps to ensure it stays fixed; not just for you, but for everyone in your community.

Offline SLAVAGE

• Trade Count: (21)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005, 05:55:49 AM »
press charges just to be on the safe side an to use it as leverage

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Contributor
Go on the offense
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 01:58:50 AM »
Don't sit around and wait for them to decide what to do.  Press charges and file your own civil suit for reckless endangerment to you and your family!!!  Attack!!!!  Make them want to settle this now and forever!

Dan C

Offline palgeno

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
dog attack
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 03:12:42 AM »
Damned Right!!!! Pay offense in this game or you will be playing defense with your back on the goal line before you are even aware that you are in the game. Maybe even sue the bastards---lawyers gotta be good for something! Maybe they have no assets, but you have to establish a paper trail which shows you are in the right.  :eek:  :(  :shock:  :grin: pg
"Do what you can,with what you have, where you are."  Theodore Roosevelt

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 03:20:29 AM »
As everyone above said,  PRESS CHARGES.  lol

I face loose dogs nearly everyday because owners are too ignorant to chain/fence them up.  Even though every local municipalitiy or county has a "leash law"...  

Dogs are my only reason I feel I need to carry, 2 legged threats are noexistant around here-unless you think the birds are out to get you like a Hitchcock movie.

You did the right thing, and now its time to follow up on it.  Press charges, see how the defendants respond, then decide after that if they truly deserve to be prosecuted.  Some people need to be, some dont..
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline tripper

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2005, 08:48:28 AM »
Press charges for all the reasons above, it's called CYA
be safe and god bless
tripper

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2005, 05:43:29 PM »
Myronman3 Wrote:
otherwise, another dog will take it's place. were i you, i would request that the d.a. add into any plea bargain that these people agree not to own another pitbull, rottweiler, bulldog, etc. make it legal and enforcable.

[/b]Very good points. Everyone so far (myself included) is in agreement on pressing the charges.