Author Topic: Which shotgun scope?  (Read 899 times)

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Which shotgun scope?
« on: April 15, 2005, 05:20:20 PM »
In the last month someone mentioned using a shotgun scope with enough eye relief to allow mounting in front of the hammer. Since my eye sight is now needing a scope on my Handi 44 Mag Mannlicher I like that scope idea. Who can suggest brand or model? Does anyone have a picture of this set-up? Or would any shotgun scope work for this? I have never used or even looked at a shotgun scope, so this is all new to me. Thank you for any advice.
Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline jeff223

• Trade Count: (0)
Which shotgun scope?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 05:35:44 PM »

here is a shotgun scope mounted on a shotgun.the only reason this is setup this way is because the recoil is right up there(10ga)if you know what im saying :) if i were you i would just use a rifle scope on your 44 as the recoil isnt that bad where you need all the eye releaf

Offline DPRinks

• Avid Poster
Shotgun scope
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 05:45:26 PM »
I am using a Weaver mount rail, with one more slot cut in, takes only a couple of minutes to make the slot, low mount rings and a Simmons 2.5x shotgun scope, it has a 5.5-6.5" eye relief, easily clears the hammer.
I am using it on a .45-70 handi rifle
Don :grin:
D. Rinks

Offline mt3030

• A Real Regular
Which shotgun scope?
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 07:48:36 PM »
Jeff,
Yes, I know I don't need it for the recoil. I just think I'd perfer the looks of having the scope mounted in front of the hammer with my mannlicher stock. What brand and power is that scope on your 10 gauge? And what type of mount did you use? Thank you.

Don,
By measuring I figured I'd need 8 - 9 inches of eye releif to get in front of the hammer. My "figuring" must of been way off!! Do you have a picture of your set up? Thank you.
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
scope mounts
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2005, 01:50:43 AM »
I'm with you, mt3030!
I like the look of the scope being low and forward of the hammer, too.  Hey Jeff, can that be done on a Handi, to look as clean as it does on your 10ga.  I agree mt3030, that would be a great look on a Handi with the mannlicher or any Handi.  I think it looks much cleaner without the scope rail.  Like jeff223 says, you don't need that much eye releif for a rifle, but being forward of the hammer really looks nice.  Please, more pics, if anyone has rifles set up this way.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline jeff223

Which shotgun scope?
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2005, 02:36:37 AM »

thescope is a 2.5x Simmons shotgun scope.the 10ga came drilled an tapped for a red dot and i dont care for the red dots so i had my smith drill n tap two holes alittle closer to the breach so the scope would work.im sure a smith could fix you up on a rifle barrel for a setup like this.

cookieman,on that tracker II barrel i got from you :grin: my smith is adding metal to the top of the breach area "pillers" then he is going to mill out a weaver scope base to match the pillers.then he is going to drill n tapp the pillers and just into the barrel.the metal is thin on those 12ga barrels so this piller thing will be very strong.no way for the base to ever come off.i will post a picture of that setup some time too.

these pillers are mig or tig welded on.something like that.he said it doesnt even monkey up the blueing and when he is done you will never know what he did.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
tracker II
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2005, 02:43:01 AM »
I wondered about that.  There have been a lot of posts in the past where guys were telling about their smiths not wanting to mess with that just because of the barrel thickness.  Sounds like you guys really knows his stuff and more than that he is willing to work with you to find a solution.  Thats great.  Looking forward to the pics.  Have a great weekend.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
Which shotgun scope?
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2005, 04:41:47 AM »
While not on an H&R, my friend put a plain 3-9 Bushnell Banner on his Remington 1100 semi-auto 12ga and it holds up great.
For what it's worth. :-)

Offline DPRinks

• Avid Poster
Scope
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2005, 04:59:28 PM »
MT;
I shall attempt to post a picture, BUT, I am a klutz at a coomputer, so don't hold your breath.
No idea how to get a picture here.
Go to "The Hunters Life forum", go to test , I have a picture of my .45-70 and 2.5 Simmons there.
Don  :? [/img]
D. Rinks

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Which shotgun scope?
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2005, 05:52:03 PM »
:roll:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Zero

45-70..PICS
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2005, 05:30:30 AM »
THE PICTURE IS BACK..

This is my 45-70 with a 2.5 simmons shot gun scope,
I like the high rings,It gives the scope a natural height,
and the field of view is perfect...
:-D  :-D  :D

Offline slayer

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Which shotgun scope?
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2005, 06:57:27 AM »
That works great and no hammer spur!! Jack.

Offline mt3030

• A Real Regular
Which shotgun scope?
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2005, 07:46:18 AM »
Looking at Jeff's 10 gauge and then Zero's 45-70, it appears that the Simmons 2.5 shotgun scope must have a veeeeery long eye relief (Way over the claimed 5.5-6.5 inches). Can both of these scopes be usable in their current locations? If so, that is the scope I need. I would be mounting it just about halfway between these two positions.
Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Which shotgun scope?
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2005, 08:18:04 AM »
The Simmons web site show the 2.5x20 as having an optimum eye relief of 5.5", so I would say that means the FOV is going to reduce the farther away from the eye it is mounted, certainly not an EER but closer to it than most scopes.

http://www.simmonsoptics.com/page14/SimmonsPage14.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Zero

Which shotgun scope?
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2005, 08:23:35 AM »
I just had my wife measure the eye relief with me holding
the gun in a shooting position, And it`s 9"....with both eyes
open.... that`s a plus...you bring the gun up and the picture
is right there no searching.... :shock:  :lol:

Offline DPRinks

• Avid Poster
Scope
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2005, 11:15:38 AM »
Wally;
That is the same scope I have, it is mounted far enough forward that the back bell is clear of the hammer by more than 5/8" and I have very good field of view.
I was wanting a low power intermediate eye relief scope so I could keep both eyes open, I am just getting too old to use open sights anymore, just can't see them well enough anymore and good receiver sights are more than a Weaver rail and a shotgun scope, plus, the handi rifle really is not a very good candidate for receiver sights.
It was a very easy mount, only cutting the extra slot was required and that was just a couple of minutes.
I really like to use both eyes, as I do take some running shots at close range.
Don   :D
D. Rinks

Offline mt3030

• A Real Regular
Which shotgun scope?
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2005, 11:47:03 AM »
Thanks, Don.
I'm convinced that will work for me, but both Natchez and Midway is out of stock. I'm still looking. I know what you mean about needing scopes. The last few years I've been scoping all my rifles.
Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Which shotgun scope?
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2005, 02:10:01 PM »
Is this the way you want your shotgun scope to fit? This is a Tasco shotgun scope mounted on my Tracker II 12 gauge barrel with a standard H&R Rail and Weaver rings, an extended ring in front and a standard ring at the rear....<><.... :grin:  (I hope the pictures come through)  

"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline mt3030

• A Real Regular
Which shotgun scope?
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2005, 02:49:24 PM »
MSP Ret:
Yes. That's the idea I'm going for. I found the Simmons shotgun scope at Midsouth and it is ordered. Do you know which Tasco Model you have there? And what magnification is it? Thank you.
Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Which shotgun scope?
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2005, 03:48:35 PM »
It is a Tasco "Bantam" shotgun scope, 2.5 power with a shotgun "circle X" reticle. I think it was made in 1997. It is the only scope I ever bought on e-bay!!!! Most seem to go for about as much as you can buy them new for!!. By the way, I have had great luck with Simmons Scopes, and would suspect you will to....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline mt3030

• A Real Regular
Which shotgun scope?
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2005, 04:03:39 PM »
MSP Ret:
Thank you.
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline mt3030

• A Real Regular
Which shotgun scope?
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2005, 09:41:03 PM »
Well, it is done. Decided on the Simmons 2.5 shotgun scope. Used rings with large nuts so I could loosen then with just a coin and pull the scope in the field if needed. The base is low enough that I can use the open sights. Its bore sighted and ready to go (And it's raining/snowing again!) I had hoped to be able to use low rings, but had to use med due to the eyepiece hitting the base. I would like to thank all you fellows that answered my questions and made suggestions.
Wally

Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007