Author Topic: Magnum shot for casting bullets??  (Read 504 times)

Offline kaferhaus

• Trade Count: (0)
Magnum shot for casting bullets??
« on: April 12, 2005, 05:40:16 AM »
Ok, I fess up.... I don't know squat about casting bullets but I know I want to try it....  I've got a old pot and a couple molds that I bought some years ago at a garage sale...

tire stores around here won't talk to you about wheel weights but I quit reloading shot-shells a couple years ago and still have a couple hundred pounds of magnum (chilled) hard shot....  how well will this work?

I'll be casting rifle bullets.... 30 and 375 caliber and would like to get over 2,000fps out of the 30 and maybe 2,400 out of the 375.... am I dreaming here or is this practical?
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline anachronism

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Magnum shot for casting bullets??
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 04:36:41 PM »
Well, it's do-able, but you'll probably need to work up to those velocities. 99% of the fun of bullet casting is in the experimentation. I have run cast bullets up to about 2500 fps, that's easy enough. Running them up to 2500 fps with any accuracy will likely require some experimentation. Magnum shot, with about 3% tin added is a really good alloy, and easily heat-treatable. Heat treating is something you'll get familiar with rather quickly in your quest for high-speed cast bullets. Remember to use MAGNUM shot, not CHILLED shot. they are not the same thing Magnum shot contains antimony & arsenic, both necessary for hard cast bullets. Remember to start out with your barrels completely clean of any bullet jacket fouling before beginning, or you'll hit the wall in the first turn.

Bob