Author Topic: 9mm Bullets tumbeling  (Read 839 times)

Offline targetguy

• Trade Count: (0)
9mm Bullets tumbeling
« on: March 18, 2005, 06:58:40 PM »
I have a lee 2 cavity 124gr TC mold in 9mm.  I have cast about 1000 bullets of 20 to 1 and they are tumbeling out of all the guns I have tried them in.  the bullets drop out at .356.  So far they are tumbeling in 2 seperate beretta 92fs's, a springfield armory XD, a kahr, and a UZI.  I am reloading them with a dillion square deal B.  I thought that I was tapercrimping them too much, so I pulled some reloaded bullets and they were .353!.  I backed off the taper crimp die, and the pulled bullets were coming out at about 355. - .356.  These bullets seemed to be a little better, with only about half tumbeling?  Please Help :(

Offline jgalar

9mm Bullets tumbeling
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 01:31:28 AM »
I have the same mold. Cast using straight wheel weights and can shoot either unsized or sized .356 and don't get tumbling. I set the crimp to only straighten out the case mouth

Offline Dusty Miller

9mm Bullets tumbeling
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 07:02:53 AM »
How's the velocity?  If the loads are too light they'll tumble from every gun on the planet!
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
9mm Bullets tumbeling
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 03:05:40 PM »
It sounds like it's a size issue. Back off on the taper crimp until the bell in the case mouth just starts to straighten out, since the 9mm Luger has a slight taper already. I have shot that same bullet in quite a few guns without problems. And as Dusty wrote, you may want to step them up a bit for a better gas seal.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline targetguy

9mm Bullets tumbeling
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 04:34:30 PM »
Thanks, I will Try to back off the taper some more and crono them to see what happens

Offline Harry O

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: 9mm Bullets tumbeling
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 01:07:57 PM »
Quote from: targetguy
I have a lee 2 cavity 124gr TC mold in 9mm.  I have cast about 1000 bullets of 20 to 1 and they are tumbeling out of all the guns I have tried them in.

I have the same mould and have tried WW (Bhn 9-10) to Linotype (Bhn 20-22) hardness.  Mine cast at 0.358".  I have tried them sized at 0.356" and 0.358".  I tried WW231 and Unique powder.  The softer ones sized at 0.356" tumbled 100% of the time.  The harder ones as-cast (0.358") only tumbled about 1/4 of the time.  All tests were at 25 yards from a sandbag rest.  There seemd to be no difference in the powders, but WW231 was easier to use.  Naturally, they were all lubed with Lee Liquid Alox.  

When I loaded them at 0.358" they looked kind of ugly.  There was a distinct bulge around the bullet and it necked in below the bullet.  However, they fed and fired.

To check the bullets, I loaded a bunch of the 0.358" ones in .38 Special cases and shot them in my K-38 revolver.  Every combination I tried was superbly accurate.

I have given up on cast bullets in 9mm's.  If anyone knows the secret, let me know.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
9mm Bullets tumbeling
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 03:09:23 AM »
Harry O and targetguy:  I've never had a problem with 9mm cast loads tumbling, but I've never cast out my own 9mm bullets, either.  I have just purchased pre-cast slugs in the 125 gn rn configuration and shot them with different Unique powder charges from the old Lyman manuals and they all seem to have shot fine from:  a 9mm Luger, a 9mm P-38, and 3 different 9mm Tokarevs.  

But, the 9mm has a 1:10 twist and has a history of not stabalizing cast bullets well.  Of course, if you take the same bullets and load them into 38 Spl cases and fire them down a S&Ws 1:18-3/4 twist they probably stabalize a lot better.  

Harry - when you described the results of your testing, you mentioned the softer bullets sized at .356 tumbled all the time, the harder ones cast at .358 tumbled about 25% of the time.  Have you tested the harder ones at .356 diameter - I'm thinking those are closer to bore size than oversize and harder like a jacketed bullet and may shoot - maybe not....

The 9mm was never designed around a cast slug - the 38s/357s were and the slower twist reflects that application.  The faster twist of the 9mm may only like jackets or hard cast bullets.

My old Lyman manual lists 3.5 gns of Bullseye with Lyman's 356402  - 121 gn slug, which is truncated, as an accuracy load for that bullet.  4.4-4.5 gns of Unique should put you in the same ballpark.  With the 158 gn 358311 bullet (roundnose) the accuracy load listed is 3 gns of Bullseye for 869'/sec.  I used to use 3.5 gns of Unique under this bullet for subsonic loads at the same velocity and didn't see any tumbling.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline Harry O

• Trade Count: (1)
9mm Bullets tumbeling
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 02:12:30 PM »
Quote from: Mikey
Harry O and targetguy:  I've never had a problem with 9mm cast loads tumbling, but I've never cast out my own 9mm bullets, either.  

Yes, I did try the smaller diameter harder slug.  Not as good as the larger one.  Even with the soft ones, the larger diameter was a little better.  Surprising, since it was between 2 and 3 thousandths larger than the bore size.  After all the testing I went though, I just gave up on lead.  I buy bulk no-name jacketed 9mm bullets now and they shoot much better than any lead I have tried.  Not as good as anything in the K-38, but good enough.

Offline targetguy

9mm Bullets tumbeling
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2005, 07:52:15 PM »
Well, it was to much crimp.  I backed the crimping die off and the bullets dont tumbel at all.  Thanks for all of your advice