Author Topic: +p loads in C Arms undercover  (Read 541 times)

Offline DanielWGriggs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
+p loads in C Arms undercover
« on: April 18, 2005, 01:03:55 AM »
I have an old Charter arms undercover and I don't know if I can use the higher pressure loads for it. I have been told the newer ones are not up to it. Any one know for sure if the old ones were better made.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 03:01:03 AM »
Daniel - You're correct, the older Charter Arms 38s are not +P rated and I believe the newer ones are not +P rated either, so you should stay away from the higher pressure loads.  

If you do not reload, probably the best load you can use in your Charter Arms is the standard pressure 158 gn swc, or swc-hp.  This was the standard for many years until the high pressure expanding bullet options became available.  There are some non +P hollowpoints available but with the lightweight bullets they use I feel you're not going to get much defensive capability out of that particular load.  Go for the 158s and you should be fine.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline DanielWGriggs

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 08:20:32 AM »
Thanks, I bought some125 gr winny's for the cases and will reload with 158 gr hardcast. I keep a .44 at the house right next to the shotgun in the bedroom with #4 buckshot. I know that some say 00 but I like the 4's.

Offline Steve in Michigan

• Avid Poster
Charter .38 with +P loads
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 12:38:39 PM »
If you want a self-defense, Speer just came out with a 135-grain Gold Dot .38 Special. It is designed for penetration and expansion from a snub revolver and is standard pressure.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 03:08:57 AM »
Daniel - if you reload, try the 200 gn semi-wadcutter over 3.8 gn of WW231 for a mv of 770 (minus some in your snubby) at 15.5Kpsi.  This is a Winchester factory load with a swc bullet replacing the old roundnose bullet.  It is not a +P load, it is a standard pressure load that shoots very accuratley in my snubbies.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline Savage

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 12:56:25 PM »
Not only are the Charter "Undercover" pistols not suited for *P, but do not hold up well to heavy use. I have owned two, one I gave away, the other is in my safe needing repair. Both were shot almost extensively with lightly loaded WC ammo. Nice little gun for the money if you don't shoot it a lot.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 11:32:31 AM »
I have to differ with you on durability.  I have owned several Charters and been very satisfied with them.  My first .38 I bought soon after they came out (couldn't afford a S&W back then) and I shot 100 to 150 rounds a week through it!  My only load was a 158 gr cast swc over 5.4 gr of unique.  Thats a heavy load and the gun never faltered or complained.  It was still tight many years later when I sold it to an Animal Control officer when I started carrying a Star PD 45.  (That's another gun that gets a bad rap but preformed great for me)  I still have 3 Charters, in fact I have an old .44 on my hip right now.  It's still accurate and tight.  I would not hesiatate to shoot that gun with +p's.  I would use standard loads for the majority of my practice (couldn't afford that much factory ammo anyway) but it will be fine for occasional use and CCW carry!  I did have one recurrant problem with my Charters but easily solved.  The screw in the middle of the recoil plate will work loose and make the gun diffucult to open with release latch.  Take it out, put on a drop of locktite, and screw it back in flush with the recoil shield.  Problem solved.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Savage

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2005, 04:34:06 PM »
44 Man,
Glad your experience with the old Charters has been good. My only point of reference is the two I have owned. + A friend recently bought a Charter 2000, or something like that, chambered in 44 special. It was called the "Pug" I think. He kept it about 2 mos. It kept binding up. I'll stick with Smiths or Rugers if I feel the need for a wheelgun.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,