Author Topic: Aluminum frames versus steel in semi-autos?  (Read 544 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Aluminum frames versus steel in semi-autos?
« on: April 21, 2005, 09:52:23 AM »
I have always been partial to steel frames but have owned a few aluminum ones.  

I had a Taurus PT-92 in 9 MM that had an aluminum frame, later did put in a recoil buffer, but noticed that there was some indentation into the frame from shooting it, probably shot around 900 rounds through it over several years.  I recently bought an arsenal rebuilt post-war aluminum framed Walther P-38, everything looks sharp, plan to use only lower power loaded FMJ in it once every 3-5 months.  I read of a guy who shot so many rounds through his Beretta 92 that the barrel wore out, gun still worked.

Had a friend that had a S/W 39, nice gun, and that had an aluminum frame.  We did not shoot it much.

What has been your experience between the two?  How much softer in relation to rounds fired before the frame cracks on the aluminum versus the steel?

Thanks. :-)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 10:24:01 AM »
I have an aluminum framed gun that's holding up better than its corresponding stainless steel gun. I think design has a lot to do with it.  The stainless is a 1911 and the metal is galling despite generous lubrication with stainless-appropriate lubes.
Safety first

Offline jhm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 01:22:43 PM »
Chris :  I have a S&W 39 I have owned and shot for over 25 yrs, and it did malfunction one time last spring I believe it was, also have a S&W 6906 alum. frame/ stainless slide that has performed without a hitch for abt. 8yrs now. :D    JIM

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 03:19:53 AM »
Chris - I have an older aluminum frame Colt Commander that has probably seen 10k rounds of hardball and hot stuff, with no ill effects.  I have a post war 9mm Walther with the alloy frame that has had the snot shot out of it, with no ill effects.  I know fellas who love their S&W 39/59s, have shot the snot out of them with no ill effects.

I would just load up that P-38 and shoot the hay out of it, that's what they were meant to do and the aluminum will probably hold up better than the steel frames would.

I have a number of aluminum framed handguns I regularly shoot they hay out of and have not had a problem yet.  Aluminum is a lot tougher than you think and will last a lot longer than you might imagine.  I believe Clarke used to build some of his competition pistols on the Colt aluminum frame, with many going for multiple 10K rounds without problem.  

Sure makes them easier to carry.  Mikey.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 12:35:51 PM »
Hi Chris,

I have all kinds of alloy frames, 45s, 9s, 380s, you name it.  For auto's, I prefer them to steel.  I shoot a SW3914 (blue version of the lady smith without the weird frame) and it's just great even after who knows how many rounds and years.  Same with my series 70 LW commander, walther P-38 (commercial), colt mustang pocket lite, etc, etc.

They hold up....  Alloy revolvers on the other hand.......

Good Shooting!

Doug
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!