Author Topic: tracker "kick"  (Read 747 times)

Offline Bob W.

• Trade Count: (0)
tracker "kick"
« on: April 20, 2005, 08:07:17 AM »
I have been deciding which slug gun to get and have received much good information from you guys.  One thing that keeps comming up in regards to the tracker, especially in .12 ga is the violent recoil.  I'm sure it is hefty but - How does it compare so someone like me doesn't get suprised if I should go this way.  Turkey hunters are using 3" and 3 1/2" shells with up to 2 oz. of shot - thats got to be painfull yet I haven't heard anyone complain about the recoil.  I've shot .270 and .30-06 no prob.  .12 ga foster slug in and 870 was almost comfortable.  Give me somthing to compare.  I am thinking of going with the Tracker due to the light weight and tapping it  for a scope.  Thanks for your always appreciated opinions

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
tracker "kick"
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 08:25:14 AM »
the recoil of the tracker 2 12 .ga is about twice as much as a 30/06(40-50 ft/lbs depeng on the load) with the 2 3/4 sabot slugs over 1700 fps. the 3" partition gold is BRUTAL :eek:  :eek:  :eek: . but i see no need for the 3" part gold unless your hunting brown bear. for closer range deer huntin, the 2 3/4 high volocity slugs is about as powerfull as you want to go for deer, black bear and hogs. the 3" federal barnes expander does not kick heard- about like a 30/06( 12 ga). and considering that this is such a good slug, if it likes your gun USE IT!!!!. stay away from high volocity 3"-1800 fps and over- and you will love this gun!!!!!!! good luck!!!
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
tracker "kick"
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 11:15:15 AM »
You know I can't  ever remember the recoil of any gun I was shooting a game ?  Now at the range the tracker 12 ga can get a little rough.  I'm shooting the 2 3/4 in Remington Buck Hammers out of my 12 ga.  They aren't near as bad as  some of the 3in slugs I've shot out of it.  But no matter what your shooting out of it,,, if you can handle it at the range shooting paper targets you can really handle it as you shoot it at a big deer.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline jeff223

tracker "kick"
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 11:31:40 AM »
if recoil is a concern i would get a 20ga tracker II or a 20 ultraslug.my 20ga ultraslug is a real sweet heart to shoot and the bucks dont know if it was a 20 or 12.

i just got a tracker II barrel and i only shot it once so far.i was just testing it to make sure it worked on the 10ga frame.i shot a foster slug through it because thats all i had around the house and  ive been using is the 20ga ultraslug for the last few years.the 12ga tracker II does kick more than the 20ga ultraslug.it would close to a Remingtin 870 with slug,maybe just alittle more

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
tracker "kick"
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 12:10:37 PM »
As was stated above the tracker II in 12ga does kick like a mule, but you don't feel it when your shooting at game. I have a ported version that I bought off www.gunbroker.com that is a gem. If you use the federal 2 3/4" w/ the barnes bullet you are gonna kill any deer very effectively. I'm a big guy, 6' 1" and 250+ so recoil is not a big deal for me. I will say that the recoil from a 3 1/2" load of no.2 hevi shot and a couple turkey loads from my topper deluxe were brutal. I've never shot an unported tracker. but I've shot a couple boxes of foster slugs through a 22" chopped 12 ga barrel and had no I'll effects. It sets you back a little but that's what you should expect when throwing a big chunk of lead through a light gun.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Scope Mounting
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 02:03:00 PM »
I am thinking of going with the Tracker due to the light weight and tapping it for a scope.

If you're gonna put a scope on it, you may have to have some barrel work done.  I have read on this forum, lots of guys say the gunsmiths won't drill and tap for mounts on the 12ga because the barrel is not thick enough.  That's a problem you would probably not have with the 20ga.  
More food for thought.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline TOMMYY01

• Contributor
tracker "kick"
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 11:09:05 AM »
I had a 12 ga. tracker. I was using the win. BRI sabots(2 3/4) inchers. I've shot a lot of guns and all, but using the above mentioned, it was brutal .  :shock:  I had just fired the third slug to sight it in, and it stung the ole shoulder pretty good. Of course, I had a tee shirt and a light jacket on when I done this. Had to go to the truck and find a old coat to use as padding. Probably, I would have not felt it shooting at game but, that was enough for me. I gave that gun to my brother, and got me a 20 ga tracker. Very pleased with it. I also have a synthetic 45-70 and used the tee shirt and light jacket again to shoot. Beleive or not, it was very tolerable. Shot 2 boxes of 300 gr. coreloks, the first day out. It was more of a shove than a kick. didn't bother me at all.  the 12 ga. tracker though, felt like a baseball player swinging a bat for the fences :eek: That sting lasted a couple of weeks by the way. :lol:
                                                              tommy
I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly

Offline 50 Calshtr

• Avid Poster
tracker "kick"
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005, 07:23:47 AM »
The trick with the 12 ga Traker II is to put as much lead as you can fit into the fore end, that really slows it down.  I got my teenage son one with the synthetic stock and we loaded about 12 oz of lead in the cavities and put a steel bar in the butt.  We tested both seperately and of the two that in the fore end gave the most noticable relief.  Also mounted a steel tube Weaver scope on it by silver soldering a lug onto the top of the barrel and mounting the scope base to that, again, a little bit more weight. We shoot Lyman 545 gr slugs in 3" Federal hulls at about 1350 fps with outstanding clover leaf groups at 50 yds.  Recoil is still no maidens kiss but it's a whole lot less than the "naked" gun produced.