Author Topic: New barrel break-in  (Read 426 times)

Offline thedave87

• Trade Count: (0)
New barrel break-in
« on: March 09, 2006, 06:09:36 PM »
Hi all, I just bought a 12 ga Pardner Pump and was wondering if there was anyting special I needed to do to break in the barrel. I'm mostly a handgun and rifle guy and this is my first shotgun, so I'm pretty well clueless. If it matters, I mostly plan on shooting #8 shot until this fall, then might go to slugs for turkey and/or deer. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
New barrel break-in
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 03:23:28 AM »
I have never done anything to break in a shotgun barrel. Just go out and shoot it. I would recomend a good cleaning 1st. Im sure you didn't mean to say slugs for turkey. Deer yes, but turkey no. Post any question you have and usually some one hear can help. Welcome to the forum.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline thedave87

New barrel break-in
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 10:54:53 AM »
Quote from: Markus
Im sure you didn't mean to say slugs for turkey. Deer yes, but turkey no.

It was late and i was pretty tired, lol. Thanks for the info!

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
New barrel break-in
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 12:13:57 PM »
I repeat what Markus says.  A good cleaning before you take your new gun out will be the best thing you can do.  Not only does it get all the shipping greese out of it but it also gets to fimilar with your new gun.  Personaly I like to use OUTERS CRUD CUTTER to clean my guns the first time it seems to cut away the shipping oils very good.  After that I like to use rusty duck gun lube.

Good luck with your new gun.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)