Author Topic: 50 BMG FOR DEER ---SOON!!!  (Read 709 times)

Offline m-g Willy

• Trade Count: (0)
50 BMG FOR DEER ---SOON!!!
« on: April 02, 2005, 10:35:10 AM »
After checking the numbers on some of the old timers big game guns I think the game have to be getting tougher.
Why,,, back in the 1880's you could kill a deer with a lil 44/40! :shock:  
Now after reading some of the gun rags ,you would be crazy to try killing a deer with anything less than a 7mm mag.
 And it's not just the animals that are tougher!
Check out the numbers on a 1860 Colt Army!!! The US Army gun of the Civil War.
Any one that went down from being shot with this bb gun must not have read any of todays gun writers wisdom on knock down power :shock:
So I  figure at the rate that game and people are getting a lot tougher
We are gonna need a 50 bmg for deer and at least a 500 smith for self defence in the near future.
 OR!! Maybe it's just  the ammo companies are just loading everything down for the Cowboy Action Shooters :wink:

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 01:08:35 PM »
I have been going down hill in my calibers the last couple of years.  Yep, I feel almost naked going into the woods anymore :oops: .  With only a 308 and 280 as my biggest calibers I doubt if I can "humanly" take a game animal.  Maybe I can use them for groundhogs or red squirrels.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 06:10:33 PM »
Yea maybe I should start using my .243 for tin cans now, since it seems I can no longer use it for deer :? . Maybe my friend should start taking his .270 out for rabbit and buy a .50 Barrett since this is the only gun that can handle the massive body of a white tail deer :(
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding