Author Topic: Shakari .45-70  (Read 667 times)

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
Shakari .45-70
« on: April 21, 2005, 12:40:47 PM »
Looking for some advice and opinions.  I have come across a .45-70 Shakari in great condition, but it is to be sold as a package with a 20 ga barrel.  I already have a 20 ga. NEF, so I don't need the barrel.  I would sell the barrel but I'm wondering if the old H&R barrels can be safely fitted to the newer receivers.  If they can be fitted, I think that will assist in my selling the 20. ga barrel.  The shop wants $200 for the package and will not separate.  

Suggestions or comments?

Thanks much.

EVOC ONE

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
Shikari
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 01:16:35 PM »
I have a Shikari, too, with just the .45-70 barrel. At the time the gun was manufactured, they high-temperature brazed the barrel lugs; they are now what appears to be electron beam welded.
 The Shikari is safe for Springfield loads. The 20 ga barrel will probably fit the newer actions, and for shotgun pressures, would probably be OK. Don't use the .45-70 barrel on the newer actions........it will just give a false sense of security; the lug attachment is just not as strong.
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
I'd Keep It.
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 01:21:27 PM »
I would hang on to it.  That's a rare find that they actually have both barrels from one of the old combos.  The price doesn't sound too bad either.  As far as I have seen, the only 2 Combo sets, currently offered with just a rifle and shotgun barrel are the VersaPak 410/22 Youth and the 243/20ga Youth .  They also offer a couple of muzzel loader combos too.  Just my 2 cents, but I would keep the set together.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
Shakari .45-70
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 01:36:52 PM »
I didn't realize that this may be a combo.  The dealer didn't offer any additional information.  I just thought someone had purchased an additional barrel.  Hmm, thats interesting.  

Smokinjoe:  Thanks for the advise and info.  

EVOC ONE

Offline Stan in SC

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
If it IS a combo....
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 01:40:49 PM »
If it is a factory combo the last three digits of the receiver serial number will be on the barrel lug.
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70..it's almost a religion.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Shakari .45-70
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 02:34:26 PM »
Even if the shotgun barrel has the last 3, it could still have been purchased thru the accessory barrel program since they engrave the last 3 digits of the serial number at the time of fitting.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Shakari .45-70
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 06:13:24 PM »
EVOC:
Did you get the Shikari 45-70?
Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
Shakari .45-70
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 03:48:01 PM »
mt3030: Thank you for asking.  I've not bought it yet.  I'm a bit indecisive.  I already have a Handi .45-70 and a NEF 20.ga.  I'm not sure I want to pay $200+ when it may sit in the rack more than being used. It is unique and if the 20 ga. barrel is matching, then that certainly makes it an interesting package.  I did contact the shop and learned that the gun has been there for some time and has not generated much interest.  On top of this I also located a sythetic .280 Handi with what seems to be a very nice BSA long range scope.  I forget exactly what type the scope was, but I seem to remember it was a 6X18 or 6x24 or something like that.  Anyway the asking price was $199.  The question is:  $200 for a Shakari w/a 20ga. barrel or for a nice .280 Handi and scope combo?  I'm leaning toward the .280.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again, EVOC ONE

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Shakari .45-70
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 03:54:14 PM »
Evoc One, on the BSA scope, a very nice BSA is somewhat of an oxymoron....they have somewhat of a checkered reputation, the Platinums and the Japan built are pretty solid and reliable, but I wouldn't spend much money on one if it's any other model or a recent built PRC scope.

http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh/brand.html#bsa
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
Shakari .45-70
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 04:13:13 PM »
quickdtoo,  I hear you.  I remember looking at what model the scope was but I don't recall at the moment.  I also seem to remember reading that BSA does make what has been deemed an acceptable long range style scope.  Its probably one of the one's you mentioned.  I'll do more checking.  Thank you very much for the info.

EVOC ONE

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
Shikari
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2005, 06:28:21 PM »
Hey, EVOC, you could do what I did..........get the Shikari, have a Buffalo Classic barrel fitted to the new .45-70. Re-fit the barrel to the Shikari (mine only took .002" polishing)........and bingo a FrankenClassic; it has a great trigger due to the lack of the transfer bar system on the older rifle, plus it's got the color case receiver.
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion