Author Topic: Shotgun slug question  (Read 496 times)

Offline nealglen37

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Shotgun slug question
« on: April 17, 2005, 01:52:57 PM »
This fall I will be hunting a shotgun only area ...............................I put a rifled barrel on my mossberg 20 gauge and will soon put a scope on it.

Do you guys have any suggestions on ammuniton brand and style...............how far can I sight the thing in?  I might have to take a 150 yard shot..........(It's near a lake with a lot of open grassland)..............if I do my part will the shot work.........or should I limit myself to around 100 yards?

Your help  will be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Woodbutcher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Shotgun slug question
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 02:34:05 PM »
Dear Nealglen37:
 Your own range work will answer your question better than any opinion. Most results, and opinions, suggest 50 yards or so, as a starting point, and sometime as a limit, as far as accuracy. Lots of barrels and chokes out there.
 May I suggest the NEF shotgun forum, on this site, for info on range and ammo? Some of them boys are scarey accurate!  
 I'e seen the results, on deer, that a 20 ga does, but usable range is a bit limited with my particular gun.                             Woodbutcher

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Shotgun slug question
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 04:45:33 PM »
I use Remington Copper Solids. Great accuracy.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline NimrodRx

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Shotgun slug question
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 01:05:16 PM »
Good advice guys.  IMHO a 150 yrd slug gun shot is for experts only and only under ideal conditions - solid rest, little to no wind, and quality optics.  If you're going to do it, shoot your gun a lot.  You have to know your ballistics well.  You start to get a lot of drop real quick out past 125 yards.  

As for which slug to use, your gun will tell you that.  Mine likes the Winchester Partition Gold High Velocity slugs.  These things are on a rope.  The recoil is greater than other slugs, but the ballistics are worth it.  I'm 1.5 high at 50, zeroed at 100, and -4 at 150.  After 150, forget about it.
"Make mine a double. Whether I'm ordering drinks or shotguns, it's always served me well!"  :toast:  :toast:

"It's been my experience that those who shoot most often, most often shoot well."  T. Roosevelt