Author Topic: .444 marlin cast loads help  (Read 1615 times)

Offline hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
.444 marlin cast loads help
« on: February 08, 2003, 08:22:08 PM »
:oops: been reloading for a couple years and want to try cast bullets for hunting. cast bullets in pistols seem easy, but when you go to rifle bullets you still need to us pistol powders like blue dot,2400,unique,etc. well in the .444 marlin i use around 50+ grains of powder with jacket bullets. with cast bullets lymans cast loads manual list around 18-20 grains max. of different pistol powders. question is does all that empty space in the case matter? help please, thanks all.
always be safe and pass it on to a young hunter

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2003, 12:04:49 AM »
you should be able to use the same data as for simular weight jacketed bullets. My favorite powders in the .444 with cast bullets are 4198 and 4895 The cast bullet manuals use handgun powders at low velocities cause there still back in the days of soft cast bullets. I have no problem pushing a 340 grain gas check lfn to 2000 fps in my outfitter with no leading.
blue lives matter

Offline hunter

thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2003, 03:53:39 AM »
:D thanks lloyd 4198 and 4895 are 2 good powders for me also. still those with pistol powder and all that empty space in case.is it safe? new to gas checks. is this right , they keep the back of the bullet from melting at higher speeds. if so at what fps do you start using gas checks?
always be safe and pass it on to a young hunter

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2003, 04:29:08 AM »
You use GCs when the mould you are using is cut for them. I never had any luck using a GC design without the GC.

Were I loading for that Marlin .444, I would only use PB bullets for plinkers down in the 1200-1400 fps range. I like Red Dot for such work because it bulks up so well.

There is an exception, though. I am one of those who will cheerfully use fillers in a straight wall case. Years back, I was shooting a Siamese Mauser in .45-70. Had a Lee  405 grain PB HP mould and a LOT of AA 5744. I took to dumping a charge  into the case, nearly filling the case with cornmeal and seating the bullet. I started low and worked to a load in the 1800 fps range. No problems, good accuracy. I figger the compressed cornmeal worked as a gascheck for the PB bullet.

A more sensible fellow would have just bought a GC mould.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline captainkirk

• Avid Poster
Cast loads for the 444
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2003, 10:12:35 AM »
You might try using IMR SR 4759.  It is a fairly fast powder but it is very bulky so you don't have a lot of empty space in the case.  In fact it is so bulky that the normal IMR cans that usually hold a pound of rifle powder only hold a half pound of SR 4759.  I use it in my 458 with great sucess and mild loads with cast bullets.  AA 5744 is another possibilty as it was intended for the sharps black powder rounds which normally have a tremendous amount of air space when not loaded with black...       8)
Phil 4:13   I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me.

Offline Turk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2003, 01:00:05 PM »
Hunter,

I shoot the 444 out of 14" TC Contender.  Most of my loads have been using IMR 4895 pushing a Hornady 265.  I have plans to work up loads using a Lyman Keith SWCGC 315 gr. bullets BNH of 18 I hope to get this going within the next couple of weeks.  I'll post my findings.

Turk
In God I trust all others bring data.
If you know you're going to a gunfight take a rifle.
Life Member 1/50th Infantry Association (Vietnam)
Member of the 173rd Airborne Association
Life member NRA & ORPA

Offline Turk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2003, 01:01:10 PM »
Hunter,

I shoot the 444 out of 14" TC Contender.  Most of my loads have been using IMR 4895 pushing a Hornady 265.  I have plans to work up loads using a Lyman Keith SWCGC 315 gr. bullets BNH of 18 I hope to get this going within the next couple of weeks.  I'll post my findings.

Turk
In God I trust all others bring data.
If you know you're going to a gunfight take a rifle.
Life Member 1/50th Infantry Association (Vietnam)
Member of the 173rd Airborne Association
Life member NRA & ORPA