Author Topic: 10 gage shotgun sights  (Read 1009 times)

Offline oo_buck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
10 gage shotgun sights
« on: March 25, 2005, 05:45:28 AM »
According to the H&R site, you cannot drill and tap a shotgun for scopes.  So, I am left asking what kind of sight upgrade can I do to my 10 gage?  Maybe a receiver mounted rear sight or something like that?  

Any suggestions?

Offline jeff223

10 gage shotgun sights
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 07:54:19 AM »
this is my 10ga with a scope.it came from NEF drilled and tapped for scope bases.if your barrel is not drilled and tapped i would see a gun smith and have him chech out your barrel.lots of meat on the 10ga barrel for scope bases

Offline Little Magnum

10 gage shotgun sights
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 04:31:19 PM »
What bases are available , weaver style for the 10ga ?, I picked up a pardner sb2 turkey gun and the rear scope base is about 8inch forward from the chamber end of the barrel and the front one is almost over the sling stud .......So the gun will need a redot or hand gun scope. H&R sells a one piece mount is it set up for standard picatinny spaceing so most
red dot scopes will work ?
Also is the thread size for the 10ga choke tube .865"-44tpi ?

Offline Little Magnum

10 gage shotgun sights
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 03:43:11 AM »
Just called NEF on the 10ga scope mount. They don't sell a scope base that fit's the drilled and tap'd 10ga turkey guns. They Said " you must
use two piece Weaver #19 bases and they recommend a pistol scope."
Does anyone know the picatinny spacing of most Red Dot scopes ?
The barrel on my 10ga is taped with 3 1/2 inch spacing between
front and rear bases.

Offline gr8gift

10 gage shotgun sights
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 01:39:40 PM »
I use a Nikon VSD Dot sight on mine. Local gunsmith adapted a weaver Rail to the back two holes and put a couple more in over the thick part of the barrel lots of metal to work with. He also epoxied on the base. No problems since I got it set up.

You can see the mount in this photo of the Turkeys My uncle and I got this spring season.

Mine Left is 26lbs 10 inch beard 1 1/4inch spurs

My Uncle did the calling for me to get this one. I had a good 30yd head shot and the Federal #5's shot put him down like he was hit in the head with a sledgehammer.

Mu Uncles on the Right is 25lbs 9 inch beard 1 inch spurs

I called it in and my Uncle shot it at 48 yds
Went down flopping but only had about 5 shot in the neck and head total.

Anyone know of any good after market chokes for this little 10 GA??

Have thought of getting one but would want to have some user input. I can usually find #5 and #6 loads. don't seem to find 4's much around here.
NEF 10 Ga Nikon Realtree VSD Dot sight

There are no bad hunting days.