Author Topic: Good deal?  (Read 387 times)

Offline jphelps

• Trade Count: (0)
Good deal?
« on: May 02, 2005, 10:10:55 AM »
I friend of mine has a 24'' .223 Ultra Varmint with a Bushnell 4-12x40 on top. He wants $300 for it. I looks brand new and has only had about 80 rounds put throught it. He will sell just the gun for $200. I want to ues it as a coyote gun so should I buy just the gun and get a smaller scope or dose this sound like a good yote setup for a good deal? (I had a man at Gander Mt. tell me that he thought the 4-12x40 was a tad to big for coyotes) Just wanted to get some input. Thanks

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
Good deal?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 10:19:47 AM »
I would take it, sounds more than fair to me. Especially considering if you ordered one from Walmart, paid taxes, and ordered the scope. Yeah I say it's a good deal. :-)
What line of Bushnell is it?

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Good deal?
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 11:19:47 AM »
Yea I agree, it sounds like a good deal to me too.  Not a steal but still very fair and less hassle.

I'd go through and remount the scope and base to make sure it is on tight and do the pre-firing cleaning we all do and go from there.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
Good deal?
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 12:14:56 PM »
Seems like a fair I guess my .223 bull barrle handi was $239.00 from Wally World.

Offline Kart29

Good deal?
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 12:40:48 PM »
I don't think the scope is "too big" for coyotes.  You could easily get by with less magnification, some might even say it's more than ideal.  But I would never say it's "too big".

I've talked to exactly one clerk at Gander Mountain that seemed like he knew what he was talking about.  I don't think most of the others really know enough about hunting and hunting guns to be working in sporting goods store. :(

Offline bigjeepman

Good deal?
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 12:46:26 PM »
Depending on the model of Bushnell that is sitting on top of it, this certainly isn't out of line price-wise from my limited knowledge of Handi rifles. I was looking at an Ultra in .223 this weekend and the gunshop was asking $250.00. I looked it up on Wally World's web site and they were asking $242.00.

I have a 4-12x40 Swift sitting on top of my .223 Handi coyote rifle. In most places I hunt, the 4x setting is plenty of scope as it is really hilly here in Southern Indiana. Everytime I setup in a new stand, I adjust my power setting to meet my needs for that area. If I have an open field on one side and hilly woods on the other side, I might change my scope setting to 6x, 7x, 8x, or even 9x.
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
Good deal?
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 01:28:37 PM »
For my style of hunting coyotes with a 223 the 4X12 would be the smallest scope I would use. My shots or in the 300 yds. range and I use a Bushnell Banner 6X18X50 on mine. It really brings in light in very lowlight situations. I can see coyotes at 300 yds. with moonlight that I can't see with the naked eye.  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017