Author Topic: Multiple gun owners ...  (Read 840 times)

Offline Sir Knight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Share what you know & learn what you don't.
    • Triple-F Ranch
Multiple gun owners ...
« on: April 26, 2005, 11:19:23 PM »
If you own more than one gun, how do you decide which one to carry?  Your mode of dress? Where you are going / are going to be doing? What is / are the determining factors?
The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor because the one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Multiple gun owners ...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 02:15:47 AM »
I carry several different guns at different times. But just a side note, I remain proficient in all the guns I carry. In the winter I can carry any gun I have for CCW, in the summer it gets a little harder to conceal. I usually choose a pocket mouse gun in the summer. But I always have something bigger in the truck.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline sniperVLS

• Remington & Sig Sauer addict!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Multiple gun owners ...
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 05:59:13 AM »
determining factor is which I trust most to perform /ifwhen needed, regardless of size and bulk.

the Sig wins. I wear it everywhere, regardless of outfit.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Multiple gun owners ...
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 06:32:23 AM »
Season and dress are the determining factors...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Sir Knight

• Share what you know & learn what you don't.
    • Triple-F Ranch
Multiple gun owners ...
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 07:19:37 AM »
Quote from: sniperVLS
determining factor is which I trust most to perform /ifwhen needed, regardless of size and bulk.
Why would you own (buy/keep) a gun that you didn't trust to perform?
The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor because the one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
Multiple gun owners ...
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 07:23:34 AM »
Quote from: Sir Knight

Because some of them are just fun to play with
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
Multiple gun owners ...
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 08:30:20 AM »
Typical everyday carry is my Bersa Thunder .380(inside waistband).   Because its smaller and easier to carry at work without upsetting customers or drawing attention.  

However, there are days that the little voice in my head tells me to grab the 1911A1.  On days that voice is really loud or whenever I have to go to a big city(Pittsburgh), I'll pack both on my body.

I always wear a long sleeve button up(unbuttoned) shirt that will just cover the muzzle of the compensator on my 1911A1 with a Fobus holster.  Year round, no matter the temps, I have one of those shirts on to keep warm, break the wind or keep from getting sunburnt.

Where I'm going sometimes is a factor, not so much what I'm wearing.  Unless I'm in a dress suit, then the sholder holstered Python comes out for a nite on the town.

Mostly though, its that little voice that I have learned to listen to.  It has never been wrong.    ....please dont think I'm crazy, everyone has that little voice-just some hasn't learned to listen to it or recognize its voice.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline sniperVLS

• Remington & Sig Sauer addict!
  • A Real Regular
Multiple gun owners ...
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 09:26:34 AM »

My statement should have read...

"determining factor is which I trust the most out of what I own to perform the best, if/when needed, regardless of size and bulk."

You can have something that works 90% of the time or 98% of the time, but I'll pick my sig that works 110% of the time, every time I leave my house.

:D

and yes you need fun guns as well  :-D

Offline Lawdog

Multiple gun owners ...
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 12:16:57 PM »
Quote from: WNY_Whitetailer
Season and dress are the determining factors...

I agree.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline TScottO

• A Real Regular
Multiple gun owners ...
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 01:09:21 PM »
I’m one of those folks that dress around what I carry. The actual gun I choose depends on my mood, revolver or auto. Several years ago I carried a 380 PPK/s but decided if I ever had to use a gun I wanted more ooompth. Since then it’s either a Commander size 1911, SW 640 or SW m60 Chiefs Special LadySmith.

My determining factor isn’t very scientific but that’s the best reason I can offer  :-) .

Take Care,
Scott

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
Re: Multiple gun owners ...
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 01:27:52 PM »
If you own more than one gun, how do you decide which one to carry?  Your mode of dress? Where you are going / are going to be doing? What is / are the determining factors?

I limit my carry to only two (2):

Taurus® Mdl 617 357 Magnum and a Smith & Wesson® Mdl 37 Airweight® in 38 Special. What I change more than guns is grips on these two depending on time of year, mode of dress, & MOST IMPORTANTLY; what I feel in my "GUT".

Offline mudriver

Multiple gun owners ...
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 04:11:48 PM »
Great topic.  I have a Walther PPK, Sig 226, Beretta Tomcat, Beretta 22 and a couple of other guns I could probably carry but don't.  I also like to carry knives.  Frankly in the summer it's the Beretta 22 since it'll fit in my pocket.  If I'm going out of town, hiking with the kids or have my family with me I have a minimum of the PPK and a good folding knife - both ready to go.  If it's just me then either a knife or the 22 or both will work.  

But frankly these decisions are based on feel and gut rather than calculated decision.  Somedays I feel German, others Italian  :-D

Funny, but I like to hunt with all different guns and I like to carry different guns.  I would be bored just carrying the same one around. :roll:

Offline Greeenriver

• Avid Poster
Multiple gun owners ...
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2005, 04:59:43 PM »
At the moment, I have, I think without actualy draging them out and counting, twelve handguns in the house.

Some are for play, some for Cowboy Shooting, some for CCW, and some just 'cause they are fun to shoot. In face, that they are fun to shoot is the reason ALL of them winded up here.

Depending on where I'm going and what the weather is like determines what gun(or guns) I cary. My normal cary gun is a PKK Hungarian copy of a Walther in .380. That gun is 100% reliable and has had over 3000 rounds shot thrue it.  100% reliable.  Hard to beat a gun like that.

My car gun,(yes, they are diferent), is usualy a Colt New Service revolver in 38-40 cal. 4&1/2 in bbl. hard hitting and easy to move inside a car. When I don't have the New Service in the car, I have a Colt Delta 10mm with a couple extra clips tucked down between the seats.

On days I'm going to a Cowboy Shoot, I usualy CCW a SA Ruger 32H&R mag. The 32H&R mag is a hard hitting round and I am more used to a Single Action gun than any other.

If I'm going woods walking, or when hunting, I usualy have a 4&3/4 in SA in .45lc in a  sholder holdster along with what ever else I am hunting with.

I shoot a SA revolver more than any other type of gun.  I still can't brake myself of thumbing back the hammer on every gun I shoot. It's not a habbit I wish to brake. Of the guns I mostly carry, only the PKK and the New Service are double action, and they both shoot better by thumbing the hammer back before shooting. I do find that for the first shot point shooting, I do much better with the Ruger 32 H&R than with any of the others.

Sorry for rambiling on so much, but the above listed guns are the ones that I carry the most, and the reasons for each. :D  :D

Greeenriver(I find myself carrying the little Ruger 32 mag more and more. It just shoots Soooooo nice!!!)
Most of life's problems can be handled by a sutiable application of high explosives

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
Multiple gun owners ...
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2005, 02:38:35 AM »
I have far too many handguns to carry all at once but in pecking order it is the Commander 45 (or the full size Springer if going woods walking, etc.), a heavy loaded S&W Model 38, a Beretta M70 380, or a 21A 22lr (or sometimes the 950 in 25acp).  

Sometimes I will even swap slides on my Springer to go with the 38 Super, sometimes the Tokarev in 7.62.  It just depends on the mood I am in and the schedule I have laid out for myself for the day.  I don't usually pack any of the magnum revolvers unless I'm going hunting.  Just the way I do things.  Mikey.

Offline rybo

Multiple gun owners ...
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2005, 08:20:30 AM »
Where I am going and what I am comfortably able to wear determines which I carry.
Insert funny/sarcastic/philosophical/witty saying here.

Offline NYH1

Multiple gun owners ...
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2005, 08:57:35 AM »
I live in New York State and we MUST CARRY CONCEALED AT ALL TIMES. My main carry pistol is a Glock 22 (40 S&W that is a full-size pistol w/ a 4.5" barrel). I like to carry full-size pistols if possible. I'm also 6' tall and weigh a VERY SLIM 250 pounds :-D  so its not to hard to do. I have a Glock 27 (sub-compact 40 S&W w/ a 3.5" barrel) that I carry when its hot outside and I need a smaller pistol to conceal. I shoot the larger pistols better. Thats just me. My friend has a Glock 27 that he shoots better the his Glock 23 (compact 40 S&W w/ 4" barrel). Its also harder for him to conceal the larger pistols because hes 5'-10" tall and ONLY weighs 170 pounds or so. I have a Smith & Wesson Sigma 380 that I bought before I bought my G27. I haven't carried it since getting the G27. I'm going to get a Springfield 1911. I'll probably split the carry time between the Glock 22 and the 1911.
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline rockbilly

Multiple gun owners ...
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2005, 09:10:38 AM »
8) Living/working in West Texas, my daily dress in usually boots and jeans.  I have no problem with a big gun, but normally I feel secure enough that I carry something small that will comfortably fit in my front pocket (AMT Backup .40, S&W .357 model 69), when I go to the big city I usually go with a larger gun (Sig 229.357 Sig, CZ75 9MM, Colt 45)

My asked me a simular question, "Honey, why do you change guns from time to time?"  My answer, "Honey, why do you change shoes every day?"