Author Topic: Bay State singleshot shotgun  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Hildy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Bay State singleshot shotgun
« on: May 05, 2005, 08:58:57 AM »
I just aquired a new singleshot...a 12 gauge. It is in very sad condition and lacks a forearm. It is a nickel plated reciever and has the side-to-side lever to unlock the barrel.

On the reciever, it reads "Bay State". Also on the reciever it says it is from Massachutses. I am away from home now so I don't know the excact readings but I can post them.

What I am wondering is if any of you have ever seen or heard of one of these? I am planning on using it as more of a truck gun or worker. Nothing to look at.  :)

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 10:10:04 AM »
H&R BAY STATE, also known as Models 7 or 8. manufacured from 1908 to 1942. Discontinued so that H&R could tool up to make military arms during WWII. Made in 12, 16, 20 gauges and .410 bore. As long as it still locks up good, it will make a very good work/truck gun.

Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline Hildy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 10:45:33 AM »
Thank You :grin:

It still locks up good and tight though the shell ejector needs cleaned so it will spit casings out more reliably.

I'll tell you what, that is THE worst kicking gun I have ever fired. It is extremely light, has no butt-plate or recoil pad, and will chamber 3s. I was shooting 3" turkey mags out of it and the kick was MORE than the Weatherby 300 Win Mag. Kicks like a mule

Offline Critter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 12:25:09 PM »
That gun was not chambered for 3", I will almost guarantee it.  Almost any 2 3/4" gun will chamber the longer shell, the problem lies in when you fire it and the crimp opens into the forcing cone.  It constricts the cone raising pressures to dangerous levels.  Shooting 3" turkey loads out of that gun is asking for trouble or a half missing face.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 12:38:43 PM »
I've shot 2¾" magnums in mine, but they kick too much in that light gun, so the standard high base field loads are all that I'll shoot in it. Dad killed a turkey with it a few years ago with a #6 remington load!! :wink:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Hildy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 04:19:27 PM »
Thanks for the added information...I really appreciate it.

I will stick to the 2 3/4" loads for this gun. I have a Remington 870 that will safely shoot the high power loads with ALOT less kick.