Author Topic: pure lead to hard bullets?  (Read 764 times)

Offline missed_shot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
pure lead to hard bullets?
« on: June 21, 2005, 09:21:28 AM »
I just received a bucket of pure lead. Can anyone give the materials and amout to turn pure lead into bullets for smokeless powder.I would like the bullets about as hard as wheel weights. thanks :D
DONUTS - IS THERE ANYTHING THEY CAN'T DO ??- HOMER SIMPSON

Offline Forest T

makeing hard bullets
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 01:03:38 PM »
there a couple of ways you can do it (1) you can water drop them and they will get hard I take a 5gal bucket fill it 1/2 up with water and put a pice of 1/2 inch  foam in to cut down on the splashing or (2) if you can get some lino type and mix it to 1part lino to 9 parts lead that should give you what you are looking for  :D  :D Forest T

Offline LAH

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 02:24:45 PM »
Most wheel weights I've used test 9 BHN. One part tin and twenty parts lead (1-20) will make 10 BHN and if memory serves 1-30 is 9 BHN.
Joshua 1:9

Offline HL

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 01:37:10 AM »
For trouble sake, you would be better off finding someone needing pure lead and trading for WW lead.

WW dropped in water will give you over 15BHN. Heat treating will give much higher BHN.

I normally go with straight WW's since the cost of tin and the other alloys needed to attain the desired hardness costs significantly more than purchasing WW's, when you can't get them free.

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 05:22:42 AM »
I agree with HL..You might be able to find someone in your area that really wants the pure lead for Black Powder...might be able to trade nice clean w/w ingots all ready to go instead of spending extraa money on tin, antimony and/or Lino-type.
  However....starting with pure lead, you can control your alloy and custom make what ever hardnes you desire.  The oposite is not true with W/W.  You cannot return it to soft.  You can get it a little softer...heat it up and skim it without fluxing, and do not water quench, but they will still be pretty hard.
....make it count

Offline gutshot_again

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 07:29:22 AM »
What state you in?  Perhaps someone here is close by that can use pure lead.

Offline missed_shot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 04:19:39 PM »
I shoot several muzzleloaders and also fish. I guess I'll use the lead for round balls and jigs.
DONUTS - IS THERE ANYTHING THEY CAN'T DO ??- HOMER SIMPSON