Author Topic: Almost bought an Ultra Slug Hunter- but have questions....  (Read 462 times)

Offline GLC

• Trade Count: (0)
I was at a gun shop while Turkey Hunting.  They had a new Ultra 12 gauge model 980 for $164.   I've been thinking about getting one of these for a little while and this one was screaming "Take me home."

I looked at the receiver and noticed that at the action hinge, the barrel and frame did not seem square to one another.  The barrel section was noticibly offset to the right causing it to be raised outside the action on that side and, on the left side, was depressed slightly past the frame. I'd say the offset was nearly 1/8".  Just didn't look right to me.  

I looked at several H&R/NEF rifles which were with the USH but none seemed to be offset like the shotgun.   Is this normal for the shotgun, or was there something wrong with this one.  

I walked away from it but still am interested in getting one.  Any thoughts?
Marlin Firearms- Only the best leverguns

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Almost bought an Ultra Slug Hunter- but hav
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 01:10:21 PM »
Just keep walking!!! Something is amiss....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 05:08:05 AM »
That one has some definate problems...I second it...pass on it...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 05:14:50 AM »
FWIW, used, as new, 12 gauge Ultra Slug with Camo Laminate stocks, $150 at Kittery Trading Post, Kittery Maine....No FFL needed, can be shipped directly to you!!! I think if you reside outside Maine there is no sales tax, just shipping. They also have 2 others but the laminated looked to be the best deal to me. They did have a used camo wood stock full choke 10 gauge for $140....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley