Author Topic: LeftoverDJ's radio show  (Read 1041 times)

Offline mag41vance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
LeftoverDJ's radio show
« on: April 02, 2005, 06:17:44 AM »
I had the opportunity to help out on leftoverDJ's radio show Leftover Biscuits this morning. He had a show dedicated to the roots and culture of Old Time Music. applalchian, Gospel, Blues, just about anything that can be called music was included. I even did some voice Turkey calling which invoked a repeat request by a show listener.

You can catch his show on Saturday mornings at WTJU FM, and on the World Wide Web. 6:30-8:00 AM (EST). Lambeth Commons at The University of Virginia.

Lot's of fun!
no x now!

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
LeftoverDJ's radio show
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 08:48:35 AM »
What's the web addy?  I might see if my poor dialup connection might bring it in.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
LeftoverDJ's radio show
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 12:03:27 PM »
Quote from: Haywire Haywood
What's the web addy?  I might see if my poor dialup connection might bring it in.

Ian

Try this link and click on Listen Live.

http://wtju.radio.virginia.edu/
no x now!

Offline Leftoverdj

LeftoverDJ's radio show
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 01:46:13 PM »
Vance was a great guest and got right into the spirit of things. He's a talented guitar player, singer, and songwriter, but he's also a quick thinker and a good storyteller with a gentle good humor to him. He even got his first fan call.

The feller with the show before gave us a great lead in with a professional grade old time auctioneer's chant. He also stuck around to do a didjerdoo demonstration As Vance said, we played and did some decidedly out-of-mainsteam stuff, had a great time at it, and raised a good deal of money for the station.

WTJU is a treasure of a radio station. It covers all genres and only asks that the volunteer DJs know and love the area they cover, show up on time, and keep the station out of trouble with the law. If I want to play the winners of a hogcalling contest, I go ahead and do it. Only thing I might hear from the station manager would be a phone call telling me where to find another album of calling.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
LeftoverDJ's radio show
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2005, 07:39:56 PM »
Cool I'll try and listen in, I happen to like real things. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Haywire Haywood

LeftoverDJ's radio show
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2005, 04:04:01 AM »
Just tried it, comes in great.  Can't surf while listening but I'll try to be there this coming Saturday.

Ian

usually...

Offline Dali Llama

LeftoverDJ's radio show
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2005, 04:43:11 AM »
Quote from: Leftoverdj
He also stuck around to do a didjerdoo demonstration
What on earth be a didjerdoo, inquire Dali Llama? :?
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline Leftoverdj

LeftoverDJ's radio show
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2005, 05:39:29 AM »
Quote from: Dali Llama

A long straight unvalved horn that produces a modulated drone. It's best known as the instrument of the Australian aborigines who make theirs of wood, but the Vikings had very similar instruments of brass. Americans make their instruments of 3" PVC drain pipe about five feet long.

Haywire, I'll be displaced to 6-8 PM next Saturday because of the fundraiser. There is a show Sunday (today) 9-11 PM that you might like.

Offline Haywire Haywood

LeftoverDJ's radio show
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2005, 06:14:17 AM »
The Walkin Blues.  Yep, that's right down my alley.  I used to have a boxed set of the complete works of Robert Johnson, but I loaned it to my 1st Sergeant back in the day and I think he liked it better than I 'cause that's the last I ever saw of it.

Ian

usually...

Offline Dali Llama

LeftoverDJ's radio show
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2005, 06:53:13 AM »
Quote from: Dali Llama

A long straight unvalved horn that produces a modulated drone. It's best known as the instrument of the Australian aborigines who make theirs of wood, but the Vikings had very similar instruments of brass. Americans make their instruments of 3" PVC drain pipe about five feet long.

Thank you for explanation of unfamiliar term, respond Dali Llama. :D
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline Shorty

LeftoverDJ's radio show
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2005, 11:34:48 AM »
Thanks from me too, leftover.  Ever since I watched Crocodile Dundee and there was one played in the soundtrack, I've wracked my brain trying to remember what that was called .  Didjerdoo.  Cool!   8)

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
LeftoverDJ's radio show
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2005, 03:22:21 AM »
Leftover - do you have a drawing or plans for a PVC didjerdoo?  Does it have finger holes? If so how many and what is there approximate placement on the instrument.   This would be something fun to make for my little girl.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Leftoverdj

LeftoverDJ's radio show
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2005, 05:35:48 AM »
Brett, the didj has no fingerholes. It's just a straight piece of PVC pipe 4-5' long reduced at one end down to a short length of 1" pipe that serves as mouthpiece. Instructions on how to play it are on the internet, but you have to try several spellings. It does not seem to have a standard spelling but the most common may be didgeridoo.

I don't have a lick of musical talent myself, but homebrew instruments fascinate me. If you know enough to teach, and have several interested kids around, a family jug band is well within reach. I once went to a recorder concert that had recorders from treble to bass and those could easily be made from PVC. Another neat homemade instrument is the slide whistle. That's nothing but a long whistle fitted with a piston which allows the player to vary the tone much like a slide trombone.

Some of the kids on my son's Boy Scout troop had a great time with a jug band. The washtub bass and the drums were made from 5 gallon mud buckets and they had a washboard and a kid with an Irish pennywhistle. Harmonicas are also a natural fit. I've heard some pretty decent music made on a jews harp and on the similar sounding appalachian mouth bow.

There is also a very neat gadget called the one string or diddleley-bo. It's a wire attached at both ends to a board and stretched over a paint can for a resonator. It's plucked and the tone is varied by pressing on the string with a bottle or piece of metal, much as a slde guitar is played.

"Down on the corner, out in the street, Willie and the Poor Boys are playing, Bring a nickle and tap your feet".

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
LeftoverDJ's radio show
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2005, 09:44:23 AM »
Thanks Leftover.  I think I'll do a google search and see what I can find.

I saw John Fogerty on CMT's Crossroads a couple of weeks ago. He was  paired up with Brad Paisley I believe.   It was good to see and hear ol' John again.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
LeftoverDJ's radio show
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2005, 11:16:33 AM »
Here ya go, Brett:  http://www.oddmusic.com/gallery/om09000.html  Complete with sound samples.

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline Haywire Haywood

LeftoverDJ's radio show
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2005, 11:37:26 AM »
25 minutes till showtime... be there or be... uhm.. not there.

Ian

usually...

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
LeftoverDJ's radio show
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2005, 01:15:48 AM »
The show is on and sounding good this cool May morning.

I would like to hear "Knoxville Girl" or "El Paso" this morning.
no x now!