Author Topic: Doctors vs. Guns  (Read 867 times)

Offline 45Super

• Trade Count: (0)
Doctors vs. Guns
« on: May 08, 2005, 03:25:10 AM »
Doctors vs. Guns

(A) The number of doctors in the U.S. is 700,000
   (B) Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year are 120,000
   (C) Accidental deaths per physician is 17.14%
   Statistics courtesy of the U.S.Dept of Health & Human Services
   *************************************************************************************************************
   Guns:
   (A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000 (yes that's 80 million)
   (B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500
   (C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is 0.001875%
   Statistics courtesy of the FBI
   *************************************************************************************************************
   So statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.
   ******************************************************************************************
   Remember, guns don't kill people, doctors do.
   *******************************************************************************************
   FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.
   *******************************************************************************************
   Please alert your friends to this alarming threat. We must ban doctors before this gets completely out of hand!!!
Out of concern for the public at large, I have withheld statistics on lawyers for fear the shock would cause people to panic and seek medical attention.
Keep Your Eyes To The Sky, And Your Powder Dry!!      :sniper:

Offline NYH1

Doctors vs. Guns
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 03:58:29 AM »
Don't forget how dangerous "democratic politicians" from Massachusetts are! They don't use guns, they just kill people with their cars! :eek:
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline jhm

Doctors vs. Guns
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 04:46:10 AM »
If I commit a crime I can no longer own a firearm, I guess thats the reason Ted K. dont own any Oldsmobiles, he commited MURDER with one so he dont own any any more. :D    JIM

Offline NYH1

Doctors vs. Guns
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 03:38:28 PM »
Quote from: jhm
If I commit a crime I can no longer own a firearm, I guess thats the reason Ted K. dont own any Oldsmobiles, he commited MURDER with one so he dont own any any more. :D    JIM

Thats a good one! :toast:
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline powderman

Doctors vs. Guns
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 05:55:07 PM »
My family DR keeps NRA mags, outdoor life, and field and stream in his lobby,along with Christian and other mags. A great guy. POWDERMAN.  :D  :D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline big medicine

• Contributor
Doctors vs. Guns
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 07:26:15 PM »
Those numbers have been around for a while and debated. If you have a crappy MD you should probably look for a new one. I have questioned the accuracy of the data. What exactly are they considering an accidental death? Where the MD actually screwed up or the patient died and could not be saved do to no bodys fault?

It is funny how we never see the data for judges and lawyers, how many people they kill each year by turning criminals back out on the street. Two little girls are dead in FL because two criminals were out that should have never seen the light of day, but you dont see any judge or lawyer getting raked over the coals for it. Yet take some MD who has been up for 36-72 hours with out sleep and make a mistake and see what happens to them. Trust me, they dont keep those hours by choice. It is funny how we wont let airline pilots or truch drivers operate vehicles or fly after so many hours, but is is ok to have MDs work endless hours with out any sleep. If there is anyone here that can say they could do their job for 36+ hours and not make a mistake, maby you should go into medicine to improve the stats.

We almost lost our vascular surgeon a couple weeks ago, because he had been up for a couple days with out sleep. He was on his way to a rural clinic to see patients and fell asleep at the wheel. Lucky for him he had on his seatbelt and only had minor injuries. Vehicle was totaled.

I practice in rural America, we have 2 MDs and a PA to cover call 24/7 and operate a busy rural health clinic and hospital. Do the math there. One of my call days last week I admitted 5 patients to the hospital, saw 16 patients in clinic, and saw 8 parients in the ER all from 0700-0700. Of the 8 in ER 3 were critical, (2 chest pains at the same time). I got to lay down for 45 minutes from midnight to 0045, I was up the rest of the night. I got off call at 0700 went home showered and was back in clinic to a full sched at 0800. I got 15 minutes for lunch and finally got off work at 1745. I had not seen my kids in over 24 hours, I had supper with my family, read a couple stories to the kids, tried to go to bed and got called 3 times for questions that could have waited till the next day. Ended up getting 6 hours of sleep and went on call again at 0700 the next day. The sad part is that we get paid for a 40 hour work week, the other 20+ hours are just lost, no comp time no nothing. Yep some mistakes are made, I have made them, but I thank God nobody has ever been hurt because of them.

I always tell my students, you can be a cop and shoot an unarmed man 40 times and people make excuses for you that the job is dangerous, and you have to make judgement calls in a split second and sometimes these things happen. But be a health care provider who's has been up for hours on end, trying to be 3 or 4 places at the same time, taking care of a trauma and two chest pains and make a mistake and there is no excuse, and you can bet there will be a line of people to grill your a$$.

More important than a set of numbers is the reason behind the numbers.

Offline Mauser

• Contributor
Doctors vs. Guns
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 05:30:00 AM »
My kid's pediatrician, during our first visit to him, asked if we had guns in the home.  I told him it was none of his business and that if he wanted my son as his patient he would refrain from inquiring on how I exercise one of my rights.  It hasn't come up again.

Offline big medicine

• Contributor
Doctors vs. Guns
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 07:01:28 AM »
Mauser,
When I do peds exams I cover a lot of things for safety reasons. I never ask if people have this or that, but rather go over a list of things like matches, should be stored out of reach. Chemicals should be locked up. Stairwells should be closed or gaited. Toilet lids should be kept down so toddlers cant fall head first in and drown. Firearms and ammo should be stored out of reach locked if possible and stored apart. ect and the list goes on. That way you can touch on the safety issues with out people feeling like you are singling them out for one reason or another.

Offline Mauser

• Contributor
Doctors vs. Guns
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 12:18:22 AM »
Medicine:
Put the way you just did, I would have no problem.  However the doc was fresh from his residency in a large city (at the time) and definately had an anti-gun edge when he asked me if I had guns in the home.  He is a nice enough guy but hadn't learned yet that in a small town lots of folks have guns.  

It would be so refreshing to have a doc who assumed I had guns around and as part of a safety checklist made sure they were secure.  THAT would be appropriate.

Offline NYH1

Doctors vs. Guns
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 05:17:06 AM »
Quote from: Mauser
My kid's pediatrician, during our first visit to him, asked if we had guns in the home.  I told him it was none of his business and that if he wanted my son as his patient he would refrain from inquiring on how I exercise one of my rights.  It hasn't come up again.

When my wife was pregnant with our first child we decided to go to the same pediatrician that my parents took my sister and I to. The Dr. wanted to meet my wife and see me again. It was about 15 years since I saw him. We walked into his office and I could believe all the trophies and pictures he had on display! Not only was he a grunt in Vietnam (0311 USMC :grin:) he was and still is an very active pistol shooter. He shoots in competition matches all the time and is very, very good at it! His pistol of choice, you guessed it a 1911. I guess the most important thing I should mention is that this gentleman is an extremely well respected member of his community and a great pediatrician. Gun owners are bad people, well way has this gun owner done so much to help some many children over so many years?

99% of gun owners are good people. Its the 1% THAT HAVE THEIR RIGHTS you know. All most every time I read about a person using a gun to commit a crime, they have been in trouble before and in most cases they should still be in jail when they committed the crime with a gun!