Author Topic: Smoothbore w/rifle sights?  (Read 806 times)

Offline cheatermk3

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Smoothbore w/rifle sights?
« on: May 08, 2005, 05:20:25 PM »
A friend of mine is looking for a 12-gauge full-choked with rifle sights.  I thought I'd ask here.  

Does anyone here know if NEF makes such a barrel?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
12ga full w/RS
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 11:39:36 PM »
NEF does not make a Full choke with rifle sights.  The best he could do is to buy one of the full choke models and have a gunsmith fit it with sights.  There are a couple different length options in full choke.  There is the standard 28"in full and the 24"turkey in full.  NEF does still have some of the old Tracker I style barrels in 24" cylinder bore with rifle sights.  That would be my recommendation.  Cost from the factory $54+$15 fitting+$10S/H.  Then, of course, there are the rifled slug barrels.  But you did say he wanted Smooth Bore.  There is one more, the 22" youth 12ga in Mod. Choke, but he would have to have sights installed on that one too.  Hope this helps.  
Just curious, why Full Choke?
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
One More Option
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 11:44:45 PM »
I suppose he might also consider the TDC 12ga.  It has a rib vent that could be fitted with HiViz or TruGlo fiber optic sights without too much trouble.  It has the choke tubes so he would be able to have full choke.  That also would be a 28" barrel.  If he is set on a full choke with sights that would probable be the most economical way to go.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 03:26:04 AM »
My favorite NEF/H&R smoothbore (for now anyway!!) is my 24" 12 gauge with screw in choke tubes that I have had drilled and tapped and a H&R scope rail added. I have shot it with rifle scopes, a shotgun scope and a Red Dot. On a good day it is a one holer at 50 yards with Brenneke-Rottwiel MP 2 3/4" slugs!!! If your buddy can get a gunsmith to d&t his 12 gauge barrel for a scope rail this is the route I would suggest. Also I suggest using a newer barrel, they are thicker than an older one and are heavier and thicker and allow more metal to work with. The earlier barrels may not be safe nor do they have enough material in the chamber area to work with. Or he could have standard H&R iron sights silver soldered on....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline cheatermk3

• A Real Regular
rifle sights
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 09:46:46 AM »
Thanks for the help guys.  He wants a turkey gun and here in WA it's shotgun only; he wants rifle sights because he's a stubborn old cuss and that's what he feels will work the best for him.

Personally I think if he wants sights he ought to go with some kind of a peep sight because at 61 yrs of age he ain't gonna be happy with open sights.  I think drilling 2 holes in the receiver and finding a taler bead ought to do.  If the beads screw in it should be an easy mod.

Whatta you guys think about that?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 12:49:12 PM »
I think it shoud work if that whats he wants, try a tru-glow, Hi-Viz or reflective front sight bead....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
HiViz/TruGlo bead
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 01:13:03 PM »
Msp,  do you think on of those 2 fiberoptic beads would work with a ONE RAGGED HOLE rear site?
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 02:05:28 PM »
Sorry, but I am unfamiliar with the "one ragged hole" sights, some here have spoken of them before though, perhaps they will advise their thoughts....<><.... :grin:

Offline cheatermk3

• A Real Regular
ORH sights
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 06:40:00 AM »
Someone sent me a link to the one ragged hole sight.  It's a replacenemt blade for the rear sight; different ones are offered to fit various applications.

www.oneraggedhole.com

They replace the blade in an existing sight, so they realy only would be cost effective on a rifled barrel already equipped with iron sights.

UI think my friend would be best served by a camo turkey hunter choke-tubed gun, and fitted with the williams rear peep that comes on the BC and Target rifles.

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
BC Peeper
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 11:37:27 AM »
My bifocaled eyes liked the Williams Peep on the BC I checked out at Gander Mountain a while back.  I think he will like them.  Also, I don't think anyone ever answered, yes the bead on the 12ga is a screw in.  At least on the ones I have.  Can't say for sure on the Choke threaded models.   Good Luck.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"