Author Topic: What is a H & R Model 176?  (Read 1028 times)

Offline rwullsch

• Trade Count: (0)
What is a H & R Model 176?
« on: May 14, 2005, 02:52:21 AM »
Will the barrel from a H & R Model 176 fit on a NEF SB-1 frame.  How old is this model?  Thanks for your help.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Waiting for answer
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 03:36:57 AM »
Sent an e off to a link I found.  Says they answer fast...will let ya know if they respond quickly.  If the barrel is on ebay you're kinda stuck if ya don't find an answer.  If it's at a local shop, take the receiver in and try it.  They probably wouldn't mind.  Most of the time these things do lock up fine.  I got one a couple weeks ago...410 off ebay.  It's really tight, but it does lock up.  I think it will be real good after it is shot a bit and the action gets worked a bit.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Fast response
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 04:17:09 AM »
I got a response back.  He didn't know when it was made or if the barrel would fit.  Sorry.  Keep checking back.  Someone out there on the forum knows the answer.  They just haven't read this post yet.  Good Luck!
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline rwullsch

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 04:27:49 AM »
Thanks for your help.  I am sure someone out there knows the answer.  There are a lot of knowledgeable people out there that frequent this forum.

:-)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 05:19:46 AM »
The model 176 was a 10 ga. I have one with a 36"barrel. I didn't get a chance to shoot it at anything but a couple beer cans yet. Being that its a 10 ga it might or might not fit. I'll try to see if mine fits on a 12ga reciever later. There is a chance that the firing pin might hit off center. Were are you getting the barrel and how much do they want for it?
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline rwullsch

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 07:36:08 AM »
This barrel is on Ebay.  It says that the barrel is a 12 ga and has been fitted to accept a Tru-Choke tube.

Offline rwullsch

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 12:12:54 PM »
The EBAY seller answered the question

The barrel is marked " model 176  12 ga. Magnum" It is heavier than most barrels I seen, but a 12 ga. round fits perfect.

More info on the 176 barrel. These were made in 10 ga, 12 ga. , and 20 ga. from 1977 until 1985.  Barrel lengths were  offered in 32- 36 inches, all were heavy barels.

That would be too old to fit a SB-1 frame wouldn't it?

Robert
 :-)