Author Topic: help a new guy get hooked  (Read 856 times)

Offline Rock_Steady

• Trade Count: (0)
help a new guy get hooked
« on: May 07, 2005, 04:35:54 PM »
Hi, I came over from The High Road on recommendation.  I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but..

I'm eyeing an H&R Topper model 58, 12ga full choke.  Serial # AN21xxxx

First, is there anyplace I can get a manual for this firearm?

Second, is this one eligible for the additional barrel program and what would I have to do?

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

--Rock
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."--H. L. Mencken

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 04:44:43 PM »
:D , Welcome aboard Rock Steady!! No H&R will not fit barrels to that older gun. A new shotgun can be had from WalMart for about $89 and used they can be found from $40 to $70.  Many here have learned to fit their own barrels but I would suggest you stay around a little and read a lot before you try. There are some barrels that can be put on some frames and some that cannot. It's not dificult, just a little reading will soon get you on your way. All here are willing to help a new "Handiholic"!!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Rock_Steady

Well shucks...
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 04:55:28 PM »
Well, I've fell in love with that gun anyway.  I don't suppose I can go wrong with just getting it anyway, to start my collection.

Any ideas on if/where I can get a manual for the older weapon, or if I can find a .pdf online somewhere?  I know there aren't many moving parts, but I'd like to know how to break it down and clean it well.  I'm a manual learner.   :roll:

Thanks,
Rock
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."--H. L. Mencken

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
Re: Well shucks...
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 05:29:45 PM »
Quote from: Rock_Steady
Well, I've fell in love with that gun anyway.  I don't suppose I can go wrong with just getting it anyway, to start my collection.

well you got that right i love those old toppers. about cleaning it .........so long as it don't have a bunch of mud on it it's clean. if you just want to take it apart just to see there is some good info on the trigger agistment sticky.

oh BTW welcome to the wonderful world of H&R's and NEF's
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline Rock_Steady

Hrmm.....
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 05:39:20 PM »
Well, is there any way I can find out how old this shotgun is?  It can't be too old, I think that the trigger guard is plastic......any ideas?

Offline mitchell

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 05:44:00 PM »

Offline mitchell

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 05:53:09 PM »
this might help a bit

http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=2190zSB1

i think there is very little bit of a difference between the topper and the SB1 . i think the only thing is the transfer bar.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Once Bitten!!
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2005, 12:19:15 AM »
Sounds like you don't need any help gettin' hooked.  You're there, Budddy.  Welcome to the forum.  In my case, I went dormant for a few years, but the 'Bite of the Handi Bug' never healed and I am no longer in remission.  I have it bad!  Buy that Topper, you'll see.

Welcome aboard
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Rock_Steady

Dang
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2005, 03:34:23 AM »
Thanks guys.  I appreciate all the help.  I guess from looking at thier page and the stuff on there that it *might* be a possibility to get more barrels, but it wasn't exactly made to do that.  

Oh well.  You should see this gun.  Almost no wear, I swear that it was kept in a safe for its entire life.  I think after I pattern it I might try getting myself a turkey with it this year.  I've got a week or so left.  

Also, this is my first H&R........the hammer is a bit sluggish when compared to my Marlin 336.....I haven't fired it yet, though it does strike the pin.  Is this something I should worry about before buying?

Also, in a firearm this old, am I safe using most of the new ammunition out there, such as steel, high-power, etc?

Thanks again.

--Rock

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2005, 05:06:42 AM »
Not to worry about the firing pin. It sounds to me that it has congealed oil and lube in the area. A good cleaning should straighten that out. Remove the stock and spray the action and onto the area of the firing pin with copious amounts of brake or carburator cleaner to disolve the gummy deposits and to flush them out of the action. The cleaner will IMMEDIATELY remove and ruin the stock finish that is why the stocks are removed first!!!. Just remove the buttplate with a screwdriver and then use a 9/16ths socket on one or 2 long extensions to remove the stock bolt which holds the stock on. Then flush away!!! Do not over oil or over lube the action after is it cleaned. Less is definitely better than more!!!! Good luck and enjoy the gun and let us know how it works out....do a serach on burnishing the barrel (easy) and check and make sure there is no burr(s) where the front sight bead is screwed on. These 2 things can greatly improve your patterns and help bring them to the point of aim....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2005, 06:26:00 AM »
Welcome to the board, you will find a lot of knowledge, comradery and entertainment here as well as with your new gun. If you want a repro manual just go to www.gunbroker.com and type "058" in the search feature. someone is always selling a repro.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Rock_Steady

Alright.......
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2005, 07:19:20 PM »
Now, one last thing.  I've gotten the gun cleaned and checked out, but there is a burr int he barrel where the front bead is screwed in.  How do I deburr that, and how do I protect the metal around it?

Thanks again,

--Rock

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 12:42:48 AM »
Hey there Rock...Welcome to the site...Stick around and post away.  Now, about that burr...Is it inside the barrel or outside?  If it is inside, try backing out the bead a little bit and see if it is threaded too deep.  The threads on my 10 GA go all the way through the barrel into choke thread.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 01:08:34 AM »
If it's just a burr from the threading of the hole for the sight others here and myself have had great luck with a pocket knife!! If it is the bottom of the screw post for the front sight pin, remove the front sight, file off a little bit and reinstall it, check and redo until nothing protrudes into the barrel. You don't have to do anything to "protect" the area of the metal where you remove the burr other than regular cleaning, just clean it forget it....<><.... :grin:

Offline Rock_Steady

It's the bead.......
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2005, 03:44:27 AM »
Yeah, the bead screws all the way through the barrel.  Unfortunately with this shotty, there are no choke threads.  I'll back it out a bit and see if that helps.  Would some loc-tite help here?  

The bead is pretty short, and the gun shoots a little low.....most of my pattern is showing up on the bottom side of the target.  There really isn't much I can do other than put a shorter bead on, right?  I mean, with no rear sights, I can either hold high or just hope.   :lol:

Still in all, I'm pleased with this little gun.  I tried one 3" turkey load of 4's and wished I hadn't, but most of my hunting will be done with 2 3/4 anyway.  Light, easy to maintain.......why didn't I get into these sooner?

--Rock

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2005, 05:43:30 AM »
OK, if it were me I would:

1) make sure the threads of front sight do not stick out into the barrel, if so, remove (unscrew) front bead, file threaded potion shorter and re-install.
2) remove any burrs with sharp pocket knife or similar tool.
3) burnish barrel, easy and usually higher and better patterns result.

These are my suggestions, they are easy, cheap, will not hurt and will probably help!!!....<><.... :grin:

Offline Rock_Steady

Sweet.
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2005, 05:51:30 AM »
I guess I'll make that part of the cleaning tonight.  

One more dumb question:

Is it safe to fire "magnum" shells outta this gun?  It has a 3" chamber, so I know the shells are the right size, just didn't know with it being an older model if it could handle higher pressures.

Thanks for working with the new kid.   :wink:

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2005, 06:04:01 AM »
Yes, that gun will safely fire any 3" shotgun shell, "Magnums" included. And by the way all 3" 12 gauge shells are loaded as "Magnums"....<><.... :grin:

Offline Rock_Steady

See, I told you
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2005, 08:44:17 AM »
It was a dumb question!  *sigh*

Why do we let these newbies come here?   :grin:

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2005, 09:09:43 AM »
Remember, everyone here was a "newbie" on this board at one time and if we went to another hobby or board we would be a "newbie" there!!!. You have a great time ahead of you that many of us here have expierenced, so sit back, ask questions, try things, and enjoy the ride!!!  ...<><.... :grin: