Poll

What's your #1 favorite rifle bullet manufacturer?

Barnes
2 (4.3%)
Berger
0 (0%)
Hornady
20 (42.6%)
Nosler
12 (25.5%)
Sierra
11 (23.4%)
Speer
2 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: June 14, 2005, 03:50:06 PM

Author Topic: What's your #1 favorite rifle bullet manufacturer?  (Read 869 times)

Offline bigjeepman

• Trade Count: (0)
What's your #1 favorite rifle bullet manufacturer?
« on: May 15, 2005, 03:50:06 PM »
I was just wondering what brand of rifle bullet you would choose if you could only have one company's bullets. I am quite sure most of us use several different company's bullets but if I could only choose one, I would choose Nosler bullets. In all my calibers that I reload for, I have never failed to find a Nosler bullet that didn't shoot sub MOA and meet my expectations. I like and use Hornady and Sierra bullets too but the Nosler's have been the best overall performer at the range and in the field for me.

Let's hear what you all have to say.
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
What's your #1 favorite rifle bullet manufa
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 03:54:50 PM »
Performance on large heavy boned animals is important to me.  The Nosler partition has never failed me yet.  Especially since many of the animals I shoot can turn around and eat me, or stomp me onto the ground.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline cheatermk3

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 05:06:22 PM »
I like the Hornady line; from 35vmax in a hornet to the 225 interlock in the 338 win mag.  

Plus, not that I'm a grudge-carryin' type, but when the plastic-tipped varmint bullets first came out, there was a lotta hype and promo by Nosler; problem was for about 2 years I couldn't get my hands on them in the quantities I required; after the initial roll out they were practicallly unavailable.  Hornady came out with the vmax line about that time too, and they were plentiful and a bit less expensive too.  Hornady also pioneered the 250 count pack at a not insignificant savings.  For varmints I'm stickin' with Hornady.

This was a tough question, because I really like the technical assistance the folks at Sierra have given me over the years, especially help with developing loads for wildcat calibers.  The folks there are very knowledgeable and helpful.  If you need a specialty or match-grade accuracy bullet Sierra is the place to go, for me anyway.

Ever tried calling Nosler for technical assistance?

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 07:54:13 PM »
Nosler bullets have always worked great for me...and the Partition is one of my favorites...the other is the Nosler/CT Ballistic Silvertip...

Ever tried calling Nosler for technical assistance?

Actually...I call them all the time for data and just B.S.ing with the tech's...they are some really nice folks there.....they do have some peak times where they are difficult to talk with them...but I just leave them my number and they call me back...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline 270_Abolt

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 11:52:20 PM »
Barnes-X Bullet > *

Offline jgalar

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 01:37:07 AM »
My favorite bullet maker is me. Cast bullets are about all I shoot anymore.

Offline Greysky

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.geocities.com/catman_56/Creative_Crafts.html
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 04:22:09 AM »
I prefer Sierra due to cost, and quality control.
If at first you don't succeed, by all means try again. But if this doesn't work, give up, because there is no sense in making a darn fool of yourself.

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 05:09:49 AM »
i had a hard time picking on this one. i really love hornady bullets in most of my guns they shoot good and they still are pretty cheap but whenever i try sierra they always shoot good so i picked sierra.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 06:15:34 AM »
That is a tough choice, I like Hornady, Sierra and Nosler, I have also had good luck with speer bullets for my 25-06

Offline Longcruise

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.mikeswillowlake.com
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 07:13:33 AM »
I couldn't pick one :shock:

I realizzed that I like Hornady for varmint/small game, Nosler Partition for big game, remington for my milsurps in 30 and 303 (round nose corelokt) and am starting to experiment with match bullets for the k31 beginning with Amax and will also try Sierra and Nosler.

Then there is all those good reports on the Interbond!

Nope, don't have a favorite manufacturer, but have favorite bullets for various applications.

Great idea for a poll! :grin:

Offline tom barthel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
favorite bullets
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2005, 09:26:13 AM »
My favorite bulk bullet is remington core locks.  My alltime favorite is hornady when available.  
Tom

Offline bigjeepman

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2005, 12:24:42 PM »
What great replies!! I expected no less from this great group of people here at the NEF/H&R section of Graybeard. It is mostly curiosity about what you guys use and like that made me start this poll.

I suspected many would have a tough time choosing one bullet maker and the more applications you have for bullet use would even make it harder. Like many of you, I let my rifles tell me what they like best. For range shooting, Nosler's just knock the socks off the other bullets I have tried. I am not sure why this is but even when I bought my first two Handi's this year, they seem to prefer 50 gr and 55 gr Noslers as far as accuracy goes. I work hard at finding the right bullet/powder combinations and I have tried Hornady and Sierra bullets extensively but they never quite catch up to the Nosler BT.

Keep the replies coming and thanks for your input .... good shooting to all!
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline Robert

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2005, 02:18:13 PM »
I am with jgalar with that one.  I like Mine best.  I cast my own for many calibers and started Swaging jacketed bullets for 357/358.  I wish I had more swage dies for other calibers, and I am still looking for good deals on them.  When I do buy bullets, I like Nosler, Sierra and Speer.  I have had pretty good bullet performance on game with the Speer GrandSlam considering the price.
....make it count

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2005, 03:11:44 PM »
Where I hunt deer, the normal shots are between 125-225. For this reaso, Nothuing works better than the Nosler Ballistic tips. Sierra Pro-Hunters would be my second choice. For bigget game or If I really could only have one, The Nosler Partition. Hands Down.
shot placement is everything.

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2005, 05:50:59 PM »
I like the Amax/Vmax rounds. nothing spatters a maaaaaaangey varmint better.
Ohhhh, I hate when that happens :eek:

Offline warf73

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2005, 12:05:05 AM »
I didn't see Remington (my every day plinkers) or Swift(my serious game bullet).

If I had to only use 1 it would be the Swift bullet lines.

So I guess none of the above.

Warf
"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
a jar of jalapenos.  What you do today, might burn
your ass tomorrow."