Author Topic: Smoothbore Slug Suggestions  (Read 540 times)

Offline lgall

• Trade Count: (0)
Smoothbore Slug Suggestions
« on: May 30, 2005, 01:29:51 PM »
I have a Topper Deluxe 12 guage with a modified choke and I wanted some suggestions on slugs for bear protection.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 01:39:30 PM »
Only 2 choices as far as I'm concerned. The Brenneke or Brenneke-Rottwiel or for really BIG bears (or Water Buffalo, Rhino's or Elephants!!!) try some of those "Dixie Slugs", they weigh about 700+ grains and are hard cast and will penetrate more than any other slug I know of. The Dixie Slug "Tri-Ball" load has a lot of promise as a close deer load or a real stopper for bear. I think a slug for bear should be a full diameter slug, not a smaller diameter sabotted slug similar to a rifle bullet.....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline lgall

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 02:23:37 PM »
I was thinking about the Brenneke slugs, but was not sure if there were any other ones out there.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 04:03:54 PM »
I'd concur with MSP Ret. Can't really go wrong with the Breneke. I have no experience with the Dixie slugs but I think if I was going to use a single shot shotgun for bear I'd take a closer look at them. I have no bear hunting experience and I do love my single shots but I think I'd have a big calibre revolver for backup.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun