Author Topic: Question about bullets  (Read 647 times)

Offline WoodenFrog

• Trade Count: (0)
Question about bullets
« on: May 13, 2005, 09:40:21 AM »
Well, here  I go again, with a load of questions.  :D

I bought a RCBS 300 grain 45-70 bullet mold from Midway, and received it yesterday.  This morning I cast about  250 slugs, and sized them and put on the gas checks.  I'm going to pan lube them instead of using my Star sizer.  

Well, one question I have is they weigh in at about 328 grain without the gas check.  Why would that be?   I didn't figure different alloys would give that much a variance in weight.  I was using melted wheel weights.  

The other question is the little amount of lead that "oozed" between the die halves when I was casting them.  You can see it on the nose of the upper bullet in the picture I've attached:  

I've always used Lyman molds in the past, and have never had that little "ooze"  line in the nose of the bullet.  I guess I could clean it off with my pocketknife if it would cause a problem.  Is that common with RCBS molds though?

Offline Castaway

Question about bullets
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 09:59:58 AM »
"ooze" like you picture shows is usually caused by a lead splatter that got inside the mould and prevents it from closing completely.  Look closely for build-up and scrape it off.  When you think you have it cleaned, hold the mould up to a birght light and see if light shows through.  If cleaned and light still creeps in, you've got a warped mould.  Send it back.

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Question about bullets
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 10:08:13 AM »
That ooze line likely means the mold is not closing all the way. Are you using RCBS or lyman handles? While most molds will work with either occasionally you run into one that won't close properly with the "other brand" handles. Most of my moulds in the 220-250 gr designation run 10-15 grains heavier with WW and there can be some variation in WW makeup. The mold not closing could account for a few more grains. Have you mic'd them to see what they measure. If the mold isn't closing they mat be slightly out of round and oversize. I hear tell that this generally doesn't cause any problems when shooting unsized bullets and some shooters even shim their molds this way to bump the size up.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline WoodenFrog

Question about bullets
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 12:03:56 PM »
Well, I bought a new pair of RCBS handles with the mold.  And I just checked, there ain't no splatter or anything to keep the two halves apart.   But, when I hold it up to the light, I can see a hair line between the two halves.  I just guess I got a warped set of molds.  You might dang blast know it, it is Friday the 13th, isn't it.   :)

Offline Rick N Bama

Question about bullets
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 12:11:55 AM »
Quote from: WoodenFrog
Well, I bought a new pair of RCBS handles with the mold.  And I just checked, there ain't no splatter or anything to keep the two halves apart.   But, when I hold it up to the light, I can see a hair line between the two halves.  I just guess I got a warped set of molds.  You might dang blast know it, it is Friday the 13th, isn't it.   :)

Shoot an email to RCBS or give them a call.  My guess is that you'll have a new mold in your hands before you can get that one sent back.  Their customer service is tops in the business.

Rick

Offline JDL

Question about bullets
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 03:11:47 AM »
Woodenfrog,
I had the same problem with my 45-300 FN and cured it by adjusting the line up pins. One of mine was too long, as I discovered while looking at the parting line with the mold closed. I used a piece of brass rod with the end concaved to match the radius of the line-up pin, and carefully hammered it back in the mold. This needs to be lightly handled as I only reduced the length of the protrusion by .004". HTH

Offline WoodenFrog

Question about bullets
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 07:25:46 AM »
Thanks much JDL.  That was it.  I pushed the pins back just a tiny hair, and they close up fine now.  Great suggestion.