Author Topic: simmons aetec  (Read 1126 times)

Offline SLAVAGE

• Trade Count: (21)
  • A Real Regular
simmons aetec
« on: May 04, 2005, 07:21:48 AM »
i am thinking of geting a simmons aetec i want the 3.8x12 with lite rectical an AO, it will be used for  ground hogs a few times a year an deer for a day or two if im luckie here in pa
dose any one have one of these they can give insite on ?
thanks
dave

Offline Zachary

• Trade Count: (0)
simmons aetec
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 11:53:32 AM »
These are supposed to be one of the better Simmons scopes, but I have literally seen a couple of them fall apart at the range.  Once the cross hairs literally were falling out, and the second scope couldn't track at all.  To be fair, we have members that swear by them (in a good way) and had good luck with them.  As for myself, after what I saw, I wouldn't buy one.

When I'm at the range and I hear shooters cussing and swearing, I have a pretty good idea that they are either shooting a Simmons, BSA, or Tasco. :)

Zachary

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
simmons aetec
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 12:08:35 PM »
Quote from: Zachary
When I'm at the range and I hear shooters cussing and swearing, I have a pretty good idea that they are either shooting a Simmons, BSA, or Tasco. :)

Zachary

....Or an expensive rifle with matching scope when the guy next to em is shooting a $250 Handi-rifle w/Burris FFII scope that's embarrassing them with groups like this!!!! :-D  :-D  :-D

Mac11700's 5-shot 100yd group from his 30-06 H&R UltraComp!
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Zachary

simmons aetec
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 02:05:24 AM »
Actually, I have seen those handi-rifles groups like that, although I don't remember which scopes the shooters were using.  Nope, not surprised at all.  It's nice to see an inexpensive rifle shoot like that (well, maybe not ragged role groups like yours, but MOA nonetheless - which is still very good.  Remember, if you put an accurate gun in the hands of a bad shooter still won't make small groups.)  In your case, however, you obviously have an accurae gun with a good shooter. :wink:

Zachary

Offline hunt4570

• Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
    • Harley FLT?FLH bikes and Rides
simmons aetec
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 02:37:31 AM »
I've had an Atec for about 5-6 yrs on my 30/06.,crystal clear ,maintains zero,love the sunshield.It's a 2.8x10 A.O. no lighted reticle(wern't available at time)HIGHLY RECOMENDED BY ME for what thats worth :-) SGB
PETA.....P eople  E ating  T asty  A nimals

Come visit my forum  http://forums.delphiforums.com/anyride/start

Offline kudzu

• A Real Regular
  • (Dancoman)
simmons aetec
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 03:08:55 AM »
I have several atecs on differant rifles. I can buy them local for under 150 in the 3.8x12 and around 120 for the 2.8x10. This is a great scope for the money. Have never had a problem with any of them. these are all on "deer rifles" and work great and do everything I need them to do for deer hunting. Compard with several high end scopes and light trans. is equal and sometimes better. However I don.t think i would use one for varmits, recticle to thick and not sure of there tracking ability. Have several of the whitetail exped. scopes. like them better than the atec. bought two on clearance form sierra trade post for 90 bucks apiece. this is the clearest scope i have seen lately. they were thr 4x12x42. wish i had gotten a couple more. just bought a 270wsm and think i will try the elite 4200 in 4x16x50. heard lots of good things about them. in looking this model has a little more eye relief than some of the other elites.

Offline Zachary

simmons aetec
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 09:08:25 AM »
Quote from: dancoman
just bought a 270wsm and think i will try the elite 4200 in 4x16x50. heard lots of good things about them. in looking this model has a little more eye relief than some of the other elites.

I have quite a few Elite 4200s and they really are excellent scopes.

I agree with you that they generally have less eye relief than I would like.  That said, let me tell you this - you are looking at a .270WSM, well, I have an Elite 4200 4x-16x-50mm (exactly like the one you want) mounted on a Remington BDL SS in 7mm ULTRA mag.  The scope has 3.6" of CONSTANT eye relief.  Personally, I would like at least 4" on such a gun, but guess what?  The scope has never touched me - even with the SHARP and FIERCE recoil of a 7mm Ultra Mag.  As such, if it's enough on my 7 Ultra Mag, then it should be fine for your .270WSM.  Keep in mind that gun weight and stock fit are important considerations too.

As far as the scope goes, the optics are absolutely outstanding and similar to the Nikon Monarchs, except that the Elite 4200s have rainguard, which really works!  Yup, I highly recommend them.

In fact, I bought that exact same scope from Jon at the Optic Zone.  At first, I ordered the 4x-16x-40mm version, but then called Jon to change the order for the 50mm version.  I paid the difference and got the scope in no time flat.

Zachary

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
simmons aetec
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005, 09:04:00 AM »
I love the Aetecs and until the post above I have never heard of one failing in any way. I have several on rifles including the 7600 30-06. I just bought another one yesterday. The 3.8X12 Lighted rectical I wanted to get one more of the old ones before they are gone. I would put my Aetecs up against anything under 450.00. I have had good service from the straight power Pro-Hunters as well. Several years on a 30-06 and 308. Never touched the adjustment since sight in. The new Aetecs won't have the 5 inches of eye relief.
shot placement is everything.

Offline Swilkens1

simmons aetec
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 10:48:10 AM »
I have a Aetec IR and a Whitetail Expedition Simmons.  I would choose the Whitetail Expedition over the Aetec, however both are good scopes for the money.  I personally would spend a few extra dollars and get a Burris Fullfield II or a Bushnell Elite 3200...both great scopes for the money