Author Topic: old h&r questions  (Read 1731 times)

Offline sc03a3

• Trade Count: (0)
old h&r questions
« on: February 18, 2005, 08:18:04 PM »
greetings all, first post on this h&r forum with a couple of questions. first , i have a 20 gauge h&r topper shotgun with the snap-on forearm and my question is where is the serial no. located? i have looked everywhere on the gun and can't find it. all stamped on it it  is harrington and richardson topper on the frame and 20 gauge on the barrel. second i also have a h&r huntsman .58 caliber muzzle loader i bought new in 1974 and my question is what are they worth today? i haven't saw one in years and im curious as to value....sc03a3

Offline hunman55

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (81)
  • A Real Regular
old h&r questions
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 04:04:35 PM »
scO3a3, i had a 12 ga. huntsman at one time and like a dummy i sold it. the 58 should be worth $200/$250 in good to excellent condition, maybe more to the right person. hunman55

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
old h&r questions
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 06:22:01 PM »
That may be so but just recently some have found them for about $75.00....<><.... :roll:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline sc03a3

old h&r questions
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 09:25:41 PM »
thanks for the info guys......sc03a3

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
old h&r questions
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 02:17:32 AM »
Also, to let you know, many early shotguns had no serial numbers....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline sc03a3

old h&r questions
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 06:49:17 PM »
thanks msp ret.......sc03a3

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
old h&r questions
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 02:18:57 PM »
It is my understanding that before 1968, when the Gun Control bozos started messing with us, it wasn't necessary for "simple" guns to have a serial number.

I have a 30/30 H&R Topper 158 with no serial number, and a snap on forend. I also have a 20 Topper with a serial number on the receiver that says it was made in '73.

Coincidentally the 20 ga barrel fits on the 30/30 frame... so I guess I could call it a combo gun!

Cheers
Kerry
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline sc03a3

old h&r questions
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 10:32:57 PM »
thanks tallyho, my 20 gauge is stamped "harrington & richardson topper" on the frame and 20 gauge on the barrel, no model no. or anything else. i had heard that some "lower price" older firearms didn't have serial no's, but this is the first ive seen. i still have my first rifle, a stevens single shot .22 that i bought new in 1957 for 14.95 and it has a serial no. so maybe the h&r is older than that?,,,,,sc03a3

Offline tallyho

• DECEASED 6/6/2013
old h&r questions
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 10:51:29 PM »
" i still have my first rifle, a stevens single shot .22 that i bought new in 1957 for 14.95 and it has a serial no. so maybe the h&r is older than that?,,,,,sc03a3"

That's possible alright, but I think it was probably up to the manufacturer whether or not they put a serial number on it before 1968 so I don't know how to tell for sure which one is older.

And it is great that you still have your first rifle! Good on ya! I got my first rifle in 1957 too, for my 10th birthday, but it got traded off when I was about 15.. the beginning of my gun trading addiction!! :grin:

Cheers
Kerry
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
old h&r questions
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 02:59:23 PM »
Still have my first one, too. Got it around 1960. Mossberg "New Haven" .22. It has no serial no. I keep it by the patio door for chipmunks mostly. Shoot the Super Aquilas. Still stocking up on Handis, though.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline sc03a3

old h&r questions
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2005, 10:26:50 PM »
were pretty close in years tallyho, i was 11 in 1957.
 what some of the younger shooters don't realize is how much the laws pertaining to the shooting sports have changed in the last 50 years. that stevens .22 was sold to me without my dad being present, and the dealer opened a credit account so i could pay it off over time. i paid the debt off at 2.00 per week, from the money i made working on the farm.....sc03a3

Offline tallyho

• DECEASED 6/6/2013
old h&r questions
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2005, 07:21:00 AM »
sc03a3, Yeah I know what you mean. When I traded my first .22 for my second, same thing happened. The gun shop let me have the new gun (Ithaca X-5 semi-auto) took monthly payments (from my paper route) and nobody was required to sign anything.

In fact, I just remembered, this shop held a "biggest groundhog" contest one summer and advertised it in the local paper and all around town. Practically every kid with a rifle entered. The prize was a new .22 rifle. (Nobody I knew hunted groundhogs with any hot centerfires in those days.) I was actually the winning entry for awhile, but a kid in my school brought one in (yep, kids were packing dead groundhogs into the gun shop regularly that summer) that was about 3/4 of an inch longer than mine and he won!

When I was 14-15 we lived on the edge of a small city. Almost every Saturday morning in the fall and winter I'd walk out the door with a backpack and my .22 slung over my shoulder, and head out rabbit hunting.

If it was early fall, I'd be packing my J.C. Higgins shotgun and heading out right after school for the evening flight of ducks and geese.

The neighbors would call out to me; "Kerry if you get any extra rabbits (or ducks) I'd be happy to take some off your hands." People ate wild game quite regularly and were open about it. And most of them were WWII veterans like my dad.

There was a police station about two blocks away and often a patrol car would be driving bay and the officer would honk and wave at me. Never got stopped or hassled.

We even had a rifle team at school and whenever there was a range session or match, the team would leave the gun room and walk down the halls with our rifles and head out to the bus taking us where we had to go.

We even had our shooting trophies on display in the main hallway with all the other sports trophies, and our pictues in the school newspaper and year book. Nobody dreamt of calling the SWAT team - in fact nobody had even heard of a SWAT team in those days.

Dang, I'm sounding old... but those WERE the "good old days". I wonder if kids today will be reminiscing about today in 40 or 50 years?

Cheers
Kerry
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline sc03a3

old h&r questions
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2005, 06:51:27 PM »
tallyho, thats the same type of experiences i remember. what i worry about with the younger people now, is im afraid their losing their freedom a little at a time. you don't miss what you never had i guess....sc03a3