Author Topic: Another 25cal wildcat  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Greeenriver

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Another 25cal wildcat
« on: May 07, 2005, 12:11:14 PM »
Haws anyone done any work on a wildcat made from the 32H&R Mag case necked down to 25cal???  The idea has occured to me and I thought I would toss the idea out and see if anyone else had any thoughts on such a ctg.

Another idea I have had for a couple of years now is to have someone convert a lever action 22 to 25acp.  Anyone done any thinking on this at all??

Greeenriver('Cause I don't have one is all the reason needed for a new cal or gun) :D
Most of life's problems can be handled by a sutiable application of high explosives

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
Wild Cat
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 04:45:11 PM »
Green river My thoughts are 357 Maximum necked down to 25 or 22
 caliber. any remarks on those?  May already been done, never heard
 of it. comments Marv.

Offline Moe

• Contributor
Another 25cal wildcat
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 07:32:26 PM »
Its called a 256SuperMag, the max necked down that is. Had one in an Encore and Contender both. Pretty nice little round. Had the Encore rechambered and sold the Contender. I believe Gary Reeder makes a max necked to .22.

Offline Blackhawk44

• A Real Regular
Another 25cal wildcat
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 01:28:11 PM »
Greenriver-while not the H&R, the .32 long was necked to .22 and .25 and used in a sleeved Ruger .357 revolver back in the mid-60's.  Have to look for it.

On the .25ACP, a few thoughts: 1. the search for someone who could rebore to .251 (not .257), 2. the thrill of looking in the grass for those expensive ejected hulls, 3. the fun of trying to locate .251 diameter bullets to reload, 4. all the fingers pinched between the shell holder and die from trying to reload those wee wonders...just something to cheer you onward.  BOL

Offline Greeenriver

• Avid Poster
Another 25cal wildcat
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 06:00:13 PM »
Quote from: Blackhawk44
Greenriver-while not the H&R, the .32 long was necked to .22 and .25 and used in a sleeved Ruger .357 revolver back in the mid-60's.  Have to look for it.

On the .25ACP, a few thoughts: 1. the search for someone who could rebore to .251 (not .257), 2. the thrill of looking in the grass for those expensive ejected hulls, 3. the fun of trying to locate .251 diameter bullets to reload, 4. all the fingers pinched between the shell holder and die from trying to reload those wee wonders...just something to cheer you onward.  BOL

Thanks for the info on the 32long necked to 22 & 25 cal.  I gess if it had filled a use it would still be arround.  Oh well, it was just an idea.

The old Stevens 25RF used a .251 bbl, it would be very simple to convert one of them to .25acp if I can find one reasonable.  And I'm sure that if an extra bbl could be found it could be set back and recut to fit a 22 lever frame. The problem is cost versis usability.  I had a gunsimth/machinesist that was gonna do one for me, but he went crazy and lost his business.  Hummmmm.......... wonder if there was any conection, hapened right after we talked about it.

I have given a lot of thought to the problems involved with loading the 25acp.  It lookes like it would be a real pain in the A$$ to load. The only reason I even considered the lever gun was to cary to CAS shoots and show it off, maybe shoot it some with BP loads and a round ball.  

I do think that an old Stevens single shot in .25acp would be a great small game rifle.

and again, I don't have one of eather, that's a good reason in it's self to make one.

Greeenriver(I realy could be completly crazy, how would I know if I wern't??)
Most of life's problems can be handled by a sutiable application of high explosives