Author Topic: Pistol Scopes  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Hippie

• Trade Count: (0)
Pistol Scopes
« on: February 10, 2003, 05:00:36 AM »
Have two questions here, I have a Tasco 1.25x4 (made in Japan) on a DW 744 that I just purchase used. After about 100 rounds the crosshairs turned inside the scope, is it worth sending it to ABO USA Inc. in Miami Fl. for repairs or count my loses. The repairs are $23.00 plus your shipping to there, they warranty there work for 90 days I believe.
2nd. question is I found a older Redfield 2x pistol scope NIB (they claim) for $75.00 were they any good? The scope is on the world wide web.
                              Thank You  Hippie

Offline jhm

Pistol Scopes
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2003, 05:44:13 AM »
Hippie I cant answer the first question but I was always fond of the older redfield products out of denver co. I have several of their scopes mounted and a few put back to mount on other guns as I get around to it $75.00 dont seamed too bad if its a clean scope will be worth that much trade-in on the new model see www.redfieldoptics.com there is a trade in chart for a new model there. :D   JIM

Offline Zachary

Pistol Scopes
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2003, 12:01:44 PM »
Hippie,

Unfortunately, those Tascos are not worth the postage to send them away.
On another note, I am not too sure about the Redfield pistol scopes.  There are only 3 scopes I would, and have, mounted on pistols and have had ZERO problems - even on the hard kicking 454 Casull - they are:
1) Leupold
2) Burris
3) Bushnell Elite 3200

Any lesser quality scope invites problems.

Zachary

Offline Gregory

Pistol Scopes
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2003, 04:55:48 AM »
Quote from: Zachary
Hippie,

Unfortunately, those Tascos are not worth the postage to send them away.
On another note, I am not too sure about the Redfield pistol scopes.  There are only 3 scopes I would, and have, mounted on pistols and have had ZERO problems - even on the hard kicking 454 Casull - they are:
1) Leupold
2) Burris
3) Bushnell Elite 3200

Any lesser quality scope invites problems.

Zachary

Zachary
Have you ever tried a Nikon 2X?  I have two of them and favor them over the Leupold (which is an excellent scope).  They hold up to my 44 Mag. Contender without a problem and have a brighter and larger field of view than the Leupold.  
On my longer range barrels I use the Burris 2-7X.  I had to send one of these in for repair, it broke when used on the 44 barrel.
Greg
Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

Offline Zachary

Pistol Scopes
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2003, 05:12:58 PM »
Gregory,

Actually I have never owned a Nikon as a pistol scope (I own several Nikon rifles scopes and I love them).  But from what I have heard, Nikon does make good pistol scopes.  

But can a Nikon pistol scope stand up to the recoil of a 454 Casull?

Zachary

Offline Gregory

Pistol Scopes
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2003, 02:57:50 PM »
Quote from: Zachary
Gregory,

Actually I have never owned a Nikon as a pistol scope (I own several Nikon rifles scopes and I love them).  But from what I have heard, Nikon does make good pistol scopes.  

But can a Nikon pistol scope stand up to the recoil of a 454 Casull?

Zachary

Don't know, I've had it on a 250 Savage Encore, a 357 Max, and 44 mag.
I don't own a 454 Casull.
I'd be willing to loan you the scope for a trial though.  Interested?
Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

Offline Zachary

Pistol Scopes
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2003, 04:07:52 AM »
Gregory,

Thank you very much for the offer, but unfortunately my scope on the .454 is loc-tighted and I don't know if I would be able to have the rings come off.

HOWEVER, Graybeard is currently testing a series of new scopes for Bushnell and I believe that he could be interested in also testing out a Nikon pistol scope.  Also, he does an EXCELLENT job mounting and dismounting scopes while leaving virtually NO rings marks on the scope.  You may want to tell him in a P.M. (Private Message) sooner rather than later because I'm sure that he's probably busier testing the scopes just for now rather than reading all of the posts. :grin:

Zachary