Author Topic: Wife is getting me a barrell for father's day - Need Help  (Read 454 times)

Offline Extremesolo

• Trade Count: (4)
Wife is getting me a barrell for father's day - Need Help
« on: June 14, 2005, 02:12:05 AM »
I am definately getting a 20 ga. ultra slug barrell but I also want another barrell to go along with my .243 handi.  I think I want a big bore caliber for now and maybe buy a 30-06 later down the road.  I have been considering a .450 but it seems everyone stays away from this caliber in a handi.  I am not really afraid of th recoil as I shoot a mossberg 835 with no problems.  I do not currently handload so I would be shooting factory ammo for the time being.  I keep looking at the 45-70 but just can't make up my mind which one to get.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Also any experiences with either of these calibers and their accuracy with factory ammo would also be helpful.    Thanks,   Andrew
Stop telling God how big your problems are, and start telling your problems how big your God is!

Offline Daniel Laws

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
Bigger is better.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 03:42:00 AM »
I have been a gun crank since I was 10 years old.  I've owned more odd calibers and guns than I can ever remember.  For sheer fun of shooting, I've never shot any thing better than a 45-70.  With trapdoor level loads, recoil is mild (comparatively speaking, anyway), and with the upgraded loads available you can get about as close to elephant gun status as you need to.  With the 400gr. and heavier bullets, it will shoot thru about any animal you would ever encounter, and the lighter weights are fine for deer sized game.  It is a lot more versatile round than most folks realize.  You cant walk int Wally World and buy a lot of different types of ammo, but Midway, Cabela's, etc; are only too glad to help.  The BC barrel looks way cool, but the 22 in. barrel is probably more practical.  It comes with the sights installed, and you can get a scope rail if you want to go that route as well.  That big hole in the end of the barrel also has a lot going for itself in the looks department.  My BC seems to shoot everything pretty well, but Ive gotten the best accuracy from Federal 300gr. factory loads.  At 50 yds. with the receiver sights, mine will do 3 shot 1 in. groups.  I now have enough brass accumulated to start work on the reload thing.  Just remember, there's no such thing as a bad Handi.  All that counts is if you are happy with it.

Offline Extremesolo

• Trade Count: (4)
Wife is getting me a barrell for father's d
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 03:53:58 AM »
I should clarify a little more.  Thanks for the reply.  I will be using a scope and it will primarily be used for shooting and whitetail hunting here in PA.  You already started to answer my next question which is what factory ammo has performed best for you in the 45-70?
Stop telling God how big your problems are, and start telling your problems how big your God is!

Offline Daniel Laws

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
45-70
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 05:53:20 AM »
The best factory ammo in my BC is the Federal 300 gr.  This is strictly from an accuracy standpoint.  At $23 per box, they aren't cheap, but in my rifle they are more accurate than Remchesters.  I only acquired the rifle after the past hunting season and haven't had the chance to use it on game.  By the time next hunting season rolls around, I plan on using handloads, most likely the 500gr. cast or 350 gr. Hornady JHP.  The bison and several Native American tribes were almost wiped out with big, heavy, cast bullets, moving relatively slow.  They still seem to work quite well when you can get past the magnum mindset that so many shooters have.   Effective point-blank range on this round is about 150 yds, but longer shots are makeable with practice.  If you could find a buddy with a reloading outfit, you could really make this puppy shine, and not break the bank in the process.  Just my 2 cents.

Offline Varminter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 07:07:59 AM »
Ok before all of the 45-70 buffs beat me down let me get my opinion in on your topic.

Don't sell the 450 short. It's a great caliber and one that is not recognized that often. I had a barrel and it shot great. But everyone here is gonna tell you to get the 45-70.

If you don't reload the 45-70 is the way to go but if you plan on getting it to reloading get the 450. There is only 2 manufacturers of the 450 (hornady & Buffalo Bore) both are pretty expensive but you get great ammo for the price. Recoil of the 450 is not as bad as you think. When i had mine it had synthetic stocks on it and the recoil was comparable to a 30-06.

I'm gonna be the odd ball and tell you to get the 450. But do as you wish......go along with the crowd........or stand out and be noticed........

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Offline TOMMYY01

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 01:32:53 PM »
Believe or not, the 45-70 is a very versatile caliber. As far as recoil, not bad at all. I'm 5' 8" and 220 lbs. I've had it at the range for the better part of a day, shot 60 rds. with just a tee-shirt on. And was using 300 gr. coreloks at that. No bruises. Have mine sighted in at 50 yds. for just inside the tree line. shooting 5/8 inch high of dead center.  :grin:  I will use the 300 for deer and if I get a chance to go bear or boar hunting, then I'll get the 405 grainers. For dangerous game I will opt for a head shot, because I want to make sure the animal stays down.  :mrgreen: So if I were you,  :yeah:  get the 45-70. just my  :money:  worth.
                                                                 tommy
I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly

Offline TOMMYY01

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 01:42:27 PM »
I'll put it to you this way, I had a 12 ga. tracker II. The recoil of the slug gun was brutal, I MEAN BRUTAL! I was using win BRI  sabots 2 3/4 inch slugs. On the 3rd shot, my shoulder got one heck of a sting and I had to go back to the truck to get some padding. My brother has the gun now. The 45-70's recoil is like a shove. The tracker was like a guy at bat swinging  for the fences :shock:
                                                                    tommy
I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly

Offline DPRinks

• Avid Poster
Barrel choice
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 03:59:35 PM »
30-06 would be a very useful choice, same for .308, my personal choice in .30's.
The .45-70 is a nice cartridge, but more expensive to shoot unless you handload, then it is cheap and becomes a 225yd rifle with the better bullets and loads.
You could get the .44mag. barrel and rent the circulating reamer and have a .444 Marlin, not bad factory ammo, but again, better with handloads.
Say hello to your wife, I really like hearing about spousal support for shooting, my wife is 100% for it.
Don :D
D. Rinks

Offline De41mag

• A Real Regular
    • De41mag@aol.com
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 04:43:40 PM »
Extreme;

I'll be a little different and suggest a 44 mag. barrel.
Since you don't reload, think about this.
You can get a box of fifty 44 mag. rounds for around $20-$25. So you will get more shooting versus 20 for a 45-70. Plus you have so many bullet weights to choose, from 180gr. to 300gr. And I'm sure a 44 mag. out of a rifle length barrel will bring down any PA whitetail as long as you do your part.
As you can see, I lean toward the 44 cause I've got one and enjoy it very much.
Good Luck on your choice.
Just my two cents.

Dennis  :D

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005, 07:20:51 PM »
I'd call Jennifer or John...at NEF and ask if they found anymore  30-06 Ultra-Comp barrels...if they do...then get one of them...not knocking the 45-70 barrels at all...love the caiber...but I really like the accuracy these barrrels are giving..especially with the new Federal Fusion ammo...that's going to be my main deer rifle for awhile...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...