Author Topic: 1st time antelope  (Read 1553 times)

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
1st time antelope
« on: January 29, 2003, 03:42:30 PM »
I am going to Wyoming in Oct. for a pronghorn hunt with my brother in law that lives out there (just NW of Cheyenne).  I will probably take the 7mm Sako that I just ordered, unless my Tikka 243 convinces me otherwise.  How do people out there shoot long distance (over 200 yds).  To me that is long distance because in Michigans U.P the average shot is probably well under 100 yds.  Do people use shooting sticks?  If you have used them,  what is the best way to keep steady.  I have only had one shooting session with mine and could keep within 1" of a 1" bullseye but that would really open up at 300 yards.  Also, do any of you shoot a 7mm rem mag and if you do what bullet would you reccommend for pronghorns.
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
1st time antelope
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2003, 03:48:26 AM »
8) Wyoming is a great place to hunt. I use a harris bipod with my 30.06 and a150 gr. bullet.The last antelope   I shot was with the 7x30 contender . I used a 120 gr.bullet. I would use a 120 to 140 gr bullet in a 7 mag. Use a 200 yd zero and practice at different ranges from 100 t0 300 yds. A lot of antelope are shot at closer ranges and they always look farther away than they are.

Offline harley

1st time antelope
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2003, 04:55:26 AM »
Longwinters;

I lived and hunted for years in the panhandle of Idaho.Much of this country is literally jungle, timber so thick that 100 yd shot is a rarity.When I moved down to the central part of the state the country really opened up, you could see for miles in those wide open spaces. The first year it seemed like I couldn't hit a thing, there aren't any flag sticks or yard markers out there!! With no yardage references ( big trees ,ect ) to help judge distances I was over shooting. Everything ( particularly smallish critters like lopes and coyotes) looked a LOT further away than they actually were.I went to work with my 06, fitted a Harris bipod, and went shotting from a bench at longer ranges 2-400 yards. with a 200 yard zero it started to get much easier to group out at 250-300 yards. Properly sighted in you can hold pretty much dead on the animal and still hit vital at 300 yards. DON"T overcompensate by holding over much they are generally closer than they look. I also like a 150 gr pill in the 06', seems to be less effected by wind drift and still shoots plenty flat. Good luck and have fun,I enjoyed lope hunting as much as any I've ever done.
Ride Free-Ride Far

Offline tominboise

• Contributor
1st time antelope
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2003, 03:10:33 AM »
Agree with all that's been posted so far.  I sometimes use my 7mm Rem Mag loaded with 140 Nosler Ballistic tips for antelope.  Use RL-22 and you can get up to 3100-3200 fps.  THat said, the drop is 13" at 500 yards (with a 200 yard zero, about 2.5" high at 100 yards).  Now, 500 yards is waaaay out there, shooting sticks or not.  

Like they said, practice, practice, practice.

As an aside, the line formed where the brown and white meet on the side of the antelope makes a good aiming reference.  Put the cross hairs between that and the top of the back and squeeze.......

Tom
Regards,

Tom

Offline Bill McCartney

antelope hunting
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2003, 03:18:08 PM »
try a $300.00 range finder is worth the money for the goats.
also check the 13" drop @ 500yards on the 7mag.I dont think so.
Bill

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
1st time antelope
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2003, 10:48:22 AM »
Got the rangefinder . . . a Leica 800.  Now for above zero temps to go out and start shooting. :)

Offline kevin.303

• Trade Count: (1)
1st time antelope
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2003, 08:18:53 AM »
i'm considering taking an anelope hunt down montana way, and wa wondering if a .303 with a 150 gr bullet on a high pressure load would be acceptable for reaching some of the pronghorn distances i've heard of?
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline bigbore442001

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
    • Bigbore's Outdoors.
1st time antelope
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2003, 10:04:23 AM »
Well, I hunted antelope once with a guide in the state of New Mexico several years ago. All I can tell you is what I experienced on my hunt and the things I've learned.

When I drove to the Raton area of NM I was impressed by the wide open spaces. As a native New Englander, a long shot is 75 yards. Also, the area is heavily forested with a wide variety of trees and it is generaly hilly. So there are many small hills and valleys to hunt in.

New Mexico was a mind blower. I noticed that the terrain was very flat. The open spaces didn't have any trees or other plant life growing taller that your boot tops. The land was also criss crossed by these gullies in the earth called arroyos. They are natural drainage ditches that can be used to stalk your antelope. The technique that we used was to sit right on the ground in an area that they cross. I have noticed that buck antelope travel alone while the females travel in a small group headed by an older doe. I was watching them cross a flat piece of land. The older doe ran aroound the small herd and then over to the fence line. She stopped then ran back to the small herd. She ran around the herd and then they all ran together to cross the fence.

I was hunting with a 30-06 handgun with 150 grain X bullets by Barnes loaded up. They shot around 2" at 200 yards. Since I was handgun hunting I needed to get as close as possible. I used a day pack with my sleeping bag stuffed in it as a rest. The guide and I would crawl as close to the 'lope and I would rest the gun on the pack to shoot. I was using a Competitor single shot and experienced a number of misfires on antelope. Needless to say I sold that thing right quick. So, back to the story. I discovered that you need to get some knee pads. The ground was quite painful and even as far north as Wyoming, there is cactus. I found cactus growing along the ground in the North Dakota Badlands. To get close you'll have to crawl. Never had to do this in New England.

It seems that for every advantage there is a disadvantage. I spooked antelope that were a good 1/2 mile away from me. They saw me along the horizon and just took off. We used a plywood cut out of a cow and held it up in front of us as we stalked towards the antelope. It seems that the two legs of men, one in camo other in jeans didn't phase the antelope that much. I believe that the long range vision gives up some depth perception. So, we looked like a cow.

Antelope aren't that big and I would say that the 7 mag is too much gun. The 243 would be a great antelope round.

Again,I 've only shot one in my life and this was on a guided hunt. This is just some of the things I learned on that hunt.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
1st time antelope
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2003, 01:49:02 PM »
Thanks for the info BigBore.  Sounds like quite an experience. Quite a hike for someone from "out east". Coming from Michigans Upper Penn.  My hometown hunting is a lot like yours.  I know I will be shooting fairly light bullets 139-140 gn if I use the 7mm mag.  Otherwise it will be the 243 in 95 gn.  My biggest concern is getting used to shooting out to 300 yds. :grin:

Offline shb

• Avid Poster
long shots
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2003, 11:52:45 AM »
The most commomly heard gripe at antelope camp is:   I bought this rifle and practiced all summer for a 400yd shot and I shot my antelope at 75yds this morning.  If your goat makes you feel like he is too far away for your comfort level, then get closer, I guarantee that you can get closer.  Pretend that the finely tuned goat sniping rifle in your hands is a muzzle loader and you will get within range every time. Especially if you try to use your own two feet as much as possible. Don't even worry about the long shots there is no need to. :sniper: