Author Topic: the 204 in a nutshell???  (Read 458 times)

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
the 204 in a nutshell???
« on: June 11, 2005, 02:43:19 AM »
hey guys , whats the scoop on the 204 now that some gotto really field test it out there? ive always been a hornet fancier, and have lurked around the 204, i suppose cost factor of another new caliber to start on? any ideas floatin around?????
also , anyone shoot  the hornets much in okkie??? let me hear how they did for ya's

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
the 204 in a nutshell???
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 03:51:04 AM »
well the two guns i shot the most out there was the 204 and 22 hornet. and both did a good job on getting pd's to open up. in my opinion the 22 hornet is not in the same class as the 204, 223, 222, 22-250 and so on. the 22 hornet is for close range (ie 250 or a maybe a bit more) the others are for longer ranges. now of the others i said the 204 really rules the roost. but if you don't reload the  204 might be the wrong one for you but if you do boy it will shine . just remember the 204 can do anything the 223 or 22-250 can do. right now it is the best varmint cartridge the NEF has.

if you have any questions about anything (like performance on game , group sizes, trajectory) just let me know i've shot close to 1000 rounds thru mine now.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
the 204 in a nutshell???
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 04:49:28 AM »
well mitchell i reload everything i own and then some hahahh i have even bough calibers in the past and never bought a factory load  for them, always bough componets and started it out with relaods , i know what yur sayin about the hornet in a class of its own sort of like my 218 bee handi , the 204 sortof makes my 17rem dream come true with out all the rechambering mess, which one do u have i was wonderin aboutthe fluted one ?

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
the 204 in a nutshell???
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2005, 06:07:30 AM »
well i have a plain jane handi with a 22 inch bull barrel. i don't even know if they are masking the fluted barrel in 204 yet but when they do i have a good feeling that i'll be sending my receiver back for one of the 204 and 223. i've heard a lot of mixed reviews on the fluted barrels but i think i'm going to get them and just see for my self if worst comes to worst , Ebay.  

Quote from: shaner
i have even bough calibers in the past and never bought a factory load  for them

speaking of i've shot going on 1000 rounds in my 204 and all have been reloads i just can't see paying $14 for a box of 20.  good luck in your quest and if you get the fluted before i do let me know how it shoots.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline Varminter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
the 204 in a nutshell???
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 08:44:12 AM »
The 204 never really drew mt attention but now........i don't know. I'm pretty sure i'm gonna get one as soon as the fluted barrels are available in the program. I've looked at a few like Mitchells but was never really impressed.....it was always "my 223 will do anything that the 204 can" but from what i'm hearin it will probably be the next barrel i add to my collection.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Offline hellacatcher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
the 204 in a nutshell???
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2005, 11:31:12 AM »
Now my 204 is not a NEF but Savage but I used it like a 223 on the P-Dogs and it did punch their pop button. Other words I like the 204  I have at this point done very little reloading. 8)
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
the 204 in a nutshell???
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2005, 01:18:37 AM »
varminter yur like me i have a 223 sittin here lots of loaded ammo for it , hard to just say , well the 204 is goin to do alot more ,, but ill be like yu ill get one sooner or later, i looked atthem yesterday  atthe one store i was in, 229.00 has the laminate stocks on it and medalillon in the stock they are the cinn colored laminate bout put it on layaway hahahha maybe later on