Author Topic: New Stock Ordered  (Read 398 times)

Offline Hildy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
New Stock Ordered
« on: June 10, 2005, 10:42:36 AM »
Just finished my order with Brownells to get me a Choate thumbhole stock for my 25-06 Ultra. The nice laminated's will replace the pallet wood on my 223 HB now.

The stock should be great for long range groundhog hunting and bipod mounting will be much better.

Anybody on here have one? How do you like it?

Offline jeff223

New Stock Ordered
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 11:02:01 AM »
you will want to paint the pallet wood and show off the lamo stocks

i do :toast:

Offline pascalp

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
New Stock Ordered
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 11:16:31 AM »
I've one, like it a lot. I like "Choate Varmint" a lot, i'll choose next rifle, depending if Choate's stock fit !.

Two small tricks :
. You may notice 2 pieces of wood (white on the pic) stuck between forearm and bipod. Used to suppress a little amount of roll in the mount.
. The Bipod is Harris Ultra light 1A2, and i use a rear wood block (something like 2", 3", 4"), all give a lot of adjustment.

Offline Hildy

• Avid Poster
New Stock Ordered
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2005, 03:39:33 PM »
jeff, The laminated stocks that came off of the 25-06 are now on the 223 and it looks a heck of alot better. The old pallet wood that was on the 223 will be stripped to the original wood and either painted or tung oiled. Since they are not now in use, I can take my good ol' time and maybe experiment. Nice gun BTW

pascalp, Thanks for the pointers on the Choate Varmint, but I've one question for ya. Are the two small pieces of wood absolutely needed for inbetween the bipod and forearm or will it be stable without them? I was hoping the bipod would mount up tight against the forearm. That is the same size bipod I have though mine is an Outers. I have the BR model on my 223.

Order was confirmed yesterday...maybe it will be here on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Offline pascalp

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
New Stock Ordered
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 12:12:48 AM »
The mount is tight, which forearm i use.
With a  classical forearm, the mount touch the wood about 1" wide. With the Choate the mount only touch the removable part, 3/8" wide. That's why i use " wood pieces" to widen forearm support and stiffen the mount.
I'm only after tight groups and could be easily bothered by details, maybe too much.