Author Topic: Shortening the stock & cutting barrel to 18 1/2 inches?  (Read 565 times)

Offline Mrserenity

• Trade Count: (0)
Shortening the stock & cutting barrel to 18 1/2 inches?
« on: June 06, 2005, 10:48:24 AM »
Hi, this is not a handgun question, but I thought I would post it here since it does deal with home defense, and I know that your knowledge is vast amongst all type of firearms  :grin:   I already posted this in the shotgun section but thought I would get your comments also.

Hi, I have a H&R Topper Jr.  22 inch barrel with recoil pad.  I was wondering can I get the stock shortened?  It's already a youth stock but I want to bring it in closer to the body more.  I was going to see if I can get it cut down about 3 inches or so and the recoil pad replaced.  Also, I was going to get the barrel shortened to 18 1/2 inches.  How much spread does an open barrel has than a modified choke barrel?  I'm modifying the shotgun for home defense use.  Thanks for your comments.

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
Shortening the stock & cutting barrel t
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 11:13:33 AM »
I believe that the limit is 26" for combined length with the barrel being at least 16" long to be legal. The only thing that bothers me is that the criminal will have a public defender if he lives. They are sharp too and show no mercy in court. In closing arguments, consider this statement, "The home owner was on such a crusade to kill that the market didn't have a weapon to satisfy him". I wouldn't shoot reloads or have a modified weapon in self defense. Just my two cents!
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline chris s

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 04:42:57 PM »
Shotguns need an 18.5 in barrel and rifles are 16 in

Offline HouseofCash

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 05:34:09 PM »
The only thing that bothers me is that the criminal will have a public defender if he lives. They are sharp too and show no mercy in court. In closing arguments, consider this statement, "The home owner was on such a crusade to kill that the market didn't have a weapon to satisfy him". I wouldn't shoot reloads or have a modified weapon in self defense. Just my two cents!

I feel you 100%. I could not agree more. I used to have a .44mag that I used to carry, and the ammo I put in it when I carried it had "predator" in the name. It was a "hunting" round. One of my shooting buddys, just happens to be my familys lawyer. He told me it would be a good idea to not carry a round in a carry gun that had "predator" in the name. The .44 I carried was a Ruger "Super Blackhawk Hunter".  :grin: He also said any gun with the word "hunter" on it, is not good to have on you in the advent you have to shoot someone out in public.

Your best choice when picking a carry or HD ammo, is to find out what your PD carrys/uses in there guns, he said. He also said, "It is not a good idea to carry x-military guns". Like a CZ52 for example. Dont carry any thing that has a military name on it, or "property of "name" military".

That being said, if you have a CCW here in TN you can pack whatever you want. But, you always have to worrie about the damn DA LIBS.

That also being said, if you KNOW you are in the right by having to shoot someone. If you are 100% sure what you are doing is the right thing. You would be better off shooting a few times to make sure the guy you shot is dead by the time the cops come.

Dave.
GSSF Member

Offline willysjeep134

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 05:34:03 PM »
As far as I know, the law is 18 inch barrel and 26 inch minimum over all length on shotguns, unless state or local laws require longer.

At home defense distances there will be hardly any diference between a cylinder bore barrel (no choke) and a modified choke. The shot will make a hole the size of a quarter out to maybe 10 yards. A cylinder barrel will spread shot out more than a modified barrel, but it might actually pattern buckshot tighter because the shot doesn't get all banged up going through the choke, and it will also throw slugs a little better than a full choke usually will.

If you do decide to shorten your shotgun  I would recomend that you get the bead sight remounted. The more like a "normal" shotgun it looks the more friendly a jury might be. Also, a little cold blueing on the muzzle and some careful rounding of sharp edges with emery paper will make the shortening look more professional. Most home-cut shotgun barrels are cut a little long just in case the gun should ever be inspected by a government official with a short tape measure. The measurement is taken from the breech face to the muzzle. Posessing a too-short shotgun is a major crime, so if i were trying a project like this I would leave the barrel about 19 or 20 inches, but that's just me. Most factory shorty barrels I believe are 18.25 or 18.5 inches.
If God wanted plastic stocks he would have made plastic trees.

Offline jro45

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 03:55:54 AM »
I cut a shotgun off at 18" a long time ago for my wife so she could hit rabbits, it was full choke and at close range thats like a rifle. That made it easer for her. :D