Author Topic: Natchez won't sell to Southern Handi-holics  (Read 1812 times)

Offline JPH45

• Trade Count: (0)
Natchez won't sell to Southern Handi-holics
« on: June 05, 2005, 10:49:23 AM »
I'm changing my signature to "Boycott Natchez Shoters Supplies, Inc"

I began a quite personal boycott of Natchez a couple years ago when I found out that they won't sell to me because I live in Alabama. Nothing wrong or illegal, just Natchez won't sell to people who live in Alabama, Tennessee or Georgia. I can only guess that they value their sales to dealers in those states more than individual online/mailorder sales.

Every so often I have posted on threads when people ask about something Natchez is offering and they mention them in the thread. I post, asking them to boycott Natchez and explain why. Such a thread appeared on another forum today, and I made my usual response. But I have also decided to raise my boycott to a more visual level.

I'm fully aware that we are here to talk about Handi's, but we also discuss a lot of how to feed and care for 'em and I figure lots of us order online, and I just want ya'll to know that Natchez denies to me the same savings they offer to anyone living outside Tennessee, Georgia or Alabama. Apparently they think I should pay a dealer a higher price for the same product, and I ain't playing along no more. I've stopped buying supplies from the area dealers because of this.

I've written 'em and am letting them know how I feel about this policy and that I'm making my boycott more visual, I don't know if this will change anything, but I'm gonna let 'em know that there is at least one fella that is very unhappy with their policy, unhappy enough to let others know just how unhappy I am.

So I'm just asking guys, whenever ya'll buy stuff online to consider NOT buying from Natchez. There's probably a lot of folks who just simply went somewhere else, I've done that too, but from time to time they run really good deal and it would be nice to at lest have the opportunity to reap the rewards along with people who don't live in Tennessee, Georgia, and Alabama.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline jeff223

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 10:58:47 AM »
OK John im with you on this.no more buisness from this Michigan man.Midway will get all my mail order buisness for shooting supplies :wink:

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 11:07:14 AM »
Looks like its midway for me too and yes my handi's like to eat alot // we may not be able to change their minds ,  but maybe we can hurt their cash flow a little!!!
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 11:18:30 AM »
ouch i have heard that they dont sell to surroundin states??? but didnt know it for sure, i spend a few bucks with them , well really few hundreds in a yr,,,, but ill tellya i can spend it other places for sure, count me in,, no more from ohio from this guy

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 11:42:56 AM »
Don't know about Alabama, and Georgia, but do know that they won't sell or send to Tennessee.  Last year my wife ordered me a Christmas gift from them, and asked for it to be delivered to my Dad's house in Tennessee, since we were going there for Christmas.  The salesman told her they could not deliver to Tennessee.  The reason was sales tax.  If they sell or deliver to anyone in Tennessee they have to collect sales tax, and they don't want to get involved with that.  I can understand that.  I heard later that year that Tennessee was trying to get the surrounding states to collect sales taxes for anything sold to tennessee residents through mail order or on-line, and they would do the same.  They were trying to target states with large order companies (Cabela's, Bass Pro).  Those states did not go along with it.  The state of Tennessee was fussing about all the revenue they were missing out on from all the mail and on-line orders coming from out of state.  I personally feel that this is the reason Natchez won't sell to Georgia and Alabama, I know it's the reason they won't sell to Tennessee residents.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2005, 02:07:12 PM »
JPH
Never ordered from them, and now most likely, never will.  

"A man has to stand up for something, or he'll fall for anything"
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2005, 02:29:35 PM »
Being from TN i fully support this Boycott and i think anyone boycoting this company should put it in their signature. Its been midway all the way but i would not even consider this place now.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Offline mr.frosty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2005, 02:30:05 PM »
funny bunch they have a store in chattanooga i think and wont sell
to residents of tenn they say it has do with taxes or some cock and bull
story.....dunno
of course you can buy anything from midsouthshooterssupply.com
and give ellettbrothers.com  a look
" People should say what they mean and mean what they say. Life is too short to be lead down the wrong path."

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2005, 06:57:49 PM »
I use MidSouth Shooter Supplies instead of Natcheap most of the time anyway...and have never had any problem with them getting shooting supplies for my Handi Rifles...but if Natcheap doesn't want to sell to our fellow Southern Handi-holics brothers...then I certainly won't buy from them...and.... as long as we are discussing getting supplies for our NEF rifles...I don't see why this post can't stay here... :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

I also renamed the post for you JPH45...cause it is very unfair of them...and needs some attention...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Duce

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2005, 01:23:47 AM »
Folks: I support you whole heartedly, many if not all the states have tried to band together and collect each other's sales taxes on catalog sales.  They consider mail order a grey market. Mail order has grown into a billion dollar industry and the Gov. would just love to dip their greedy fat fingers into!!! Many buy mail order just to avoid sales tax. I've always said the way to rein in a run away Gov. is to cutoff the money.  :x <>< Duce:
What ever you'll put up with, is exactly what you'll get!!!!!

Offline Kart29

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2005, 06:02:38 AM »
JPH45,

How can you be boycotting NatchezSS if they already won't sell to you anyway?  That's like saying "You can't fire me because I quit".

I have had good experience trading with Natchez and plan to continue to do so.  It's a broad and competitive marketplace.  If Natchez doesn't sell in your area, there will be some other enterprising company that will fill that void.  I don't see it as anything to get worked up over.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2005, 08:31:56 AM »
Quote from: Kart29
JPH45,

How can you be boycotting NatchezSS if they already won't sell to you anyway?  That's like saying "You can't fire me because I quit".

I have had good experience trading with Natchez and plan to continue to do so.  It's a broad and competitive marketplace.  If Natchez doesn't sell in your area, there will be some other enterprising company that will fill that void.  I don't see it as anything to get worked up over.

JPH45 Wrote:

So I'm just asking guys, whenever ya'll buy stuff online to consider NOT buying from Natchez

I think this says what his post is about...what's fair is fair...and since other suppliers can and will maybe with enough pressure they will...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2005, 09:29:28 AM »
If Natchez won't sell to our friends in the south they don't need to worry about me buying anything from them either. I am sure some of my shooting buddies will feel the same way.

Offline Kart29

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2005, 09:51:30 AM »
Well, I'm an insurance agent and my market is almost entirely in the Midwest.  I have a license to write business in Alabama and Florida but use it only for people who live here and own some property down south.  I hope my customers in the Midwest won't boycott me just because I don't choose to do business in Georgia.  And, I hope the good citizens of Georgia can find some way to manage without me.   :-D

Offline tom barthel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
boycott dump them
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2005, 12:10:44 PM »
I have in the past considered ordering from Natchez.  If those people don't want my money then I'll find someone who does.  We are gouged enough without them playing games with us.  I'M JOINING THE BOYCOTT.

Tom

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2005, 01:49:10 PM »
To each his own. I've done business with these people for a long time, and never had anything but good service. In fact, usually faster shipments and often better prices then Midway. They are in business to make a profit. If they could get the business from the states in question, and make that profit, I think they would. I will continue to order from them as before. If additional information becomes available, I might rethink my position.
Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline mr.frosty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2005, 02:37:02 PM »
all i asked for was a catalog from natchez they said no but now if i was
in north carolina i could get one...nah dont need one that bad
" People should say what they mean and mean what they say. Life is too short to be lead down the wrong path."

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2005, 03:52:07 PM »
I think you guys who are boycotting Natchez are directing your anger in the wrong direction.  You should be miffed at the states of Al, GA & TN not Natchez. The deal is these states want Natchez to collect state sales tax  for them from their mail order and internet customers.  These states are allowed to do this because Natchez probably has retail stores in these states.  I can not blame Natchez for not wanting to do the extra book keeping, having  to file tax forms with these states, sending checks off to the state tax collectors and having the very distinct possibility of having to contend with state tax auditors.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline JPH45

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2005, 06:00:27 PM »
Quote from: Brett
I think you guys who are boycotting Natchez are directing your anger in the wrong direction.  You should be miffed at the states of Al, GA & TN not Natchez. The deal is these states want Natchez to collect state sales tax  for them from their mail order and internet customers.  These states are allowed to do this because Natchez probably has retail stores in these states.  I can not blame Natchez for not wanting to do the extra book keeping, having  to file tax forms with these states, sending checks off to the state tax collectors and having the very distinct possibility of having to contend with state tax auditors.

I certainly don't want this to turn into a "don't buy here, buy here instead", but I can and do buy from Mid South Shooters Supply which is located just 1 hour north up I-75 from Chattanooga. They don't have this silly restriction. I probably don't spend $300-$400 a year on supplies, but it would be nice to be able to get in on deals that are offered to folks outside these states where it possible.

Thaks for your support guys, lots of good deals out there, just have to look for them.

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2005, 01:49:46 AM »
JPH45 I totaly agree with you. The way I was treated  by one of their phone salesman I would not even give them the time of day. Didn't know any better called them up for a order butter would not have melted in the guys mouth till I gave my address then it was I will not sell to you (click) no reason why he hung up. I even called back just to see what I did wrong. Had to drag it out of them why. Heck they live and work in Tenn. and enjoy the tax system they should at least support the state  residents. Sorry about getting on the soup box.
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline xl1200r

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2005, 05:36:29 AM »
I called and got a very reasonable explanation that I can even respect. I was told that as far as Tennessee goes, they wouldn't sell to me because I'm not a dealer, and Natchez is a sister company to Chattanooga Shooting Supplies, a wholesale only distributor. They won't sell in Tennessee because they want to protect their dealer base. Perfectly legitimate in my eyes.

I was also told that this was the same reason for most of Georgia, and Alabama, but they used to let that slide for the areas where they don't send their own trucks for deliveries to dealers.

Then Georgia and Alabama went after them for sales tax. Seems those two states say that since they have regularly scheduled delivery routes in those states, it represents a business presence in those states. They were told to start collecting tax, or face a possible law suit for back taxes.

I believe I would have stopped selling too! Seems they actually have some principle as well, and not selling to TN, GA, or AL is just their way of standing up for something, much like this boycott.

It all seems silly to me, I think if I could buy from them I would, but I can't so I won't.
Boycott Mentone Alabama!

Offline mt3030

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2005, 06:27:37 AM »
xl1200r:

I see this your first post. Welcome to GBO.

Thank you for that post and info. As stated in my earlier post, I figured there was a business related reason for their decision. They are a business that has to watch their bottom line, and if a profit could be made in that area they would. Again, I have found them good people to deal with.

Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline xl1200r

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2005, 07:26:01 AM »
Quote from: mt3030
xl1200r:

I see this your first post. Welcome to GBO.

Thank you for that post and info. As stated in my earlier post, I figured there was a business related reason for their decision. They are a business that has to watch their bottom line, and if a profit could be made in that area they would. Again, I have found them good people to deal with.

Wally

Thanks for the welcome!

Been lurking here for a while, loads of good info here, and finally decided to speak up. I agree with boycotts on many levels, like I don't wear Levi's jeans or eat at Mcdonald's, but knowing that Natchez has set their policy based on protecting their dealers, I don't think anything in the world could change their minds.

The most I can see coming out of this is people who can buy from Natchez would be missing out on some pretty sweet deals, based on boycotting the company.
Boycott Mentone Alabama!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2005, 07:36:55 AM »
Welcome aboard xl1200r!!!  :D  Well said....kinda cutting off a nose to spite the face deal!!  I've only made a few purchases from Natchez, but they definitely have great pricing on a lot of their close outs, particularly in optics.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline JPH45

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2005, 12:33:51 PM »
Quote from: xl1200r
I called and got a very reasonable explanation that I can even respect. I was told that as far as Tennessee goes, they wouldn't sell to me because I'm not a dealer, and Natchez is a sister company to Chattanooga Shooting Supplies, a wholesale only distributor. They won't sell in Tennessee because they want to protect their dealer base. Perfectly legitimate in my eyes.

I was also told that this was the same reason for most of Georgia, and Alabama, but they used to let that slide for the areas where they don't send their own trucks for deliveries to dealers.

Then Georgia and Alabama went after them for sales tax. Seems those two states say that since they have regularly scheduled delivery routes in those states, it represents a business presence in those states. They were told to start collecting tax, or face a possible law suit for back taxes.

I believe I would have stopped selling too! Seems they actually have some principle as well, and not selling to TN, GA, or AL is just their way of standing up for something, much like this boycott.

It all seems silly to me, I think if I could buy from them I would, but I can't so I won't.

I probably am floggin a dead horse, but I also order stuff from Mid South Shooters Supply which is right up the road from them (1 hour max) in Clarksville, Tenn. I get good service and good prices and no "We can't or won't sell to you" I just get miffed when I see a good deal I can't get in on if I got the spare change. Wideners also has good deals and is in Johnson City, Tenn. Strikes me that if Natchez wanted in on the online/mail order business of these states they would go for it, seems, for whatever reason, they don't.  Fine by me, but they'll not see a penny of my money as I won't now even buy from local dealers just because of this policy. Can a 45 mile drive be called local?

Offline mr.frosty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2005, 02:34:27 PM »
hey jp i can be at weidners in 20 minutes from my abode and you can get good deals there too

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2005, 03:35:48 PM »
I am still in JP's corner on this they are in Tenn. enjoying the tax structure but will not sell to residents. Yes it is a business decision. Other mail order companys survive selling local. They did mail me a catalog to my address when I didn't know better and called them they cut me off when they found out my address. Now guise why I fell the way I do?
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline mt3030

• A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2005, 04:02:44 PM »
So, their competitors have decided to do different. So support the competitors. That is the great thing about our capitalistic business system in this country. Maybe their decision not to sell local (and therefore not needing a local tax auditing system and expense) is the reason they can continue to give such good prices. More power to them. A lot of people dream of being able to start and maintain their own company so they can run it as they want. And it is your right to support the competitors and spend your $ elsewhere. Obviously NSS will soon go out of business and this will all be over.

Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline xl1200r

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2005, 04:46:34 AM »
You know what's really great about all this? This hobby/sport has enough enemies already!  Every time a gun shop goes out of business for whatever reason, it's a small victory for the anti-gunners.  

That great guys, boycott your own sport to it's death! BRAVO!!!!!!  Might as well vote another Clinton in to office.  

Truth be known, what if Natchez could sell to people in Tennessee? Would you really want to pay 9.25% sales tax(yes that is the Hamilton County and state tax together) plus shipping? On a $100 order that weighs in at 1 pound, you would have $9.25 in tax, and another 7 bucks in freight charges, which would make that total about $116.00, for a $100 product.

I sell stuff on Ebay on the side,  so I know these numbers a pretty accurate. TN sales tax is ridiculous, at 7.25% with the counties allowed to add as much as 2%. I sure don't like seeing almost 10% added to everything I buy.  

Which brings me to my next point, if you lived in TN and Natchez would sell to you, would you still buy from them even though sales tax and freight is going to make something more expensive through them as opposed to a competitor that it outside of Tennessee?

I sure wouldn't, that's not a logical financial decision in my book!
Boycott Mentone Alabama!

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2005, 03:59:26 PM »
At least Tennessee does not have repressive state income tax. 8)  8)
from Tennessee---Paul