Author Topic: CVA-FWIW  (Read 708 times)

Offline BuzzKill

• Trade Count: (0)
CVA-FWIW
« on: June 01, 2005, 05:47:48 AM »
Hey all,
just sending across a link to the new CVA Optima Elite.  Maybe everyone has seen it and I am just late on it, but for what it is worth: http://www.cva.com/products/rifle_optelite.htm
Not that the gun itself is of interest, but the fact that this is CVA's first break into the single shot CF/ML/Shotgun multible barrel type platform.  CVA has been the more affordable version of the T/C with regards to their ML lines.  Now they may be competing indirectly with NEF for the affordable version of the barrel swap CF/ML/Shotgun break open.   Not that they have a huge lineup to start with, but already the additional barrels are precision fit (no factory fitting required; buy and install at home).  Please note that I am always for any hunting/firearms company to succeed, but market share is still market share.  CVA is a big company that adapts very rapidly to consumer interest, quickly mass produces and sells cheaper, and has a huge desire to hang with or surpass T/C.  It will be interesting to see where CVA's new market expands.  So for what it is worth, and I still love my H&R's.  Cheers, BuzzKill.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
CVA-FWIW
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 05:59:44 AM »
Verwy intawesting..... :idea2:

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
CVA-FWIW
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 06:04:25 AM »
buzzkill
Looks to me like they are cheaper versions of the TC's.  But at $450 still pricy, when compared to NEF.  I think they may suffer the same fate as the Mossberg SSIone unless they do a lot of marketing.  The Mossberg was superior to the NEF in a lot of ways, but it was never marketed very well, in my opinion.

IF they do not fall aside, it MIGHT force NEF to make their barrels a buy-n-swap affair.  Forget this "factory fit" idea.  If the NEF barrels were $180 but you bought it and installed it yourself, I think most would still buy them.  I would.  I just really hate to send away my receiver.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
CVA-FWIW
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 06:22:31 AM »
Well, one answer to not being reluctant to send a frame in, is to have lots of frames!!! :roll:  :-D  :-D  :-D  Then it's not so bad cuz you can still be shooting....... :wink:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline BuzzKill

CVA-FWIW
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 06:23:07 AM »
Their gun price may be msrp which would put the actual price closer to $300.  The barrel and stock prices are most likely the absolute cost to order from the CVA shop.  
Also, just thinking outloud, but nothing else to do since I am not hauling off to the pd shoot, but CVA is owned by BPI, which I believe also owns Browning and winchester names.  If this Elite line takes off, look for CVA to develop a reciever capable for the WSM cartridge line.  This is one line of cartridges that T/C, NEF, or Ruger? does not carry.  Maybe all in time.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
CVA-FWIW
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 06:25:36 AM »
Quote from: handirifle
buzzkill
Looks to me like they are cheaper versions of the TC's.  But at $450 still pricy, when compared to NEF.  I think they may suffer the same fate as the Mossberg SSIone unless they do a lot of marketing.  The Mossberg was superior to the NEF in a lot of ways, but it was never marketed very well, in my opinion.

IF they do not fall aside, it MIGHT force NEF to make their barrels a buy-n-swap affair.  Forget this "factory fit" idea.  If the NEF barrels were $180 but you bought it and installed it yourself, I think most would still buy them.  I would.  I just really hate to send away my receiver.

Handi...why give up on the factory fit once  idea...or am I miss understanding your statement...from everything I've read...and those I've spoken with...this is one of the main things everyone wants...and this would be a way of getting it...Granted ...the rifle has a higher suggested retail than does the Handi...but there are some things on it that are more expensive than what NEF is putting on their line up too.I've looked at the Optima line...the stocks are pretty darn nice(don't know who makes them for them)...the triggers are a-lot better than the NEFs from the factory...and they lock up tight...at least on the few I've handled at the store.. I certainly not advocating rushing out to buy one...but I'm certainly not discounting the idea either....You also compare them to Mossberges failed SSI...that really isn't a fair comparison...to me at least...I came awfull close to buying a couple of them..but couldn't do it...they just wern't good enough to justify spending way more than a NEF...the stocks looked like rough hewn 2x4's  lumber...the lock up wasn't all that good...and the triggers felt like mush...I passed then...and I pass now since they are heavily discounted where ever I see them...

Just curious is all...

Mac

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
CVA-FWIW
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 06:55:53 AM »
I just did do some calling around ...you know how curiosity is... :wink: ...seems the street price...at least around here for the more expensive version...will be $339.00...and the blue/black flecked one about $289...still more than the Handi...but a bit more manageable...and I'm waiting on a call back from CVA production service manager  Mark Henndricks...I want to know how they achieved their switch barrel capablity...if he'll tell me anyway...I did find out they don't offer any wood stocks for it as yet...and all of their stocks are made in Spain along with the rifle...so it's a complete imported rifle...we'll see if I can get anyother info out of him  if he calls...

Mac

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
CVA-FWIW
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 06:58:33 AM »
" If the NEF barrels were $180 but you bought it and installed it yourself, I think most would still buy them."

I would not!!! That price is way, way out of line!!! I would rather pay
about $90 for a barrel and the shipping and fitting than $180 and
shipping!!! That would be the end of me and H&R's, thats for sure....<><.... :(
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
CVA-FWIW
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 07:20:40 AM »
MSP:

They aren't $180...and the MSRP for them is as follows..
BARREL OPTIONS

CB4300 / .30-06 Center-Fire

24" - Blue

$129.95
CB4200 / .270 Center-Fire

24" - Blue

$129.95
CB4100 / .243 Center-Fire

24" - Blue

$129.95

Like I said...I'm not advocating going this route...but for those interested...it is a option...!!!

Mac

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
CVA-FWIW
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 09:13:54 AM »
Mac
What I meant was it would be nice if we did NOT have to have the factory "fit" our barrels, in order to get a new one.  I do hope this pressures NEF to give us barrels that do not need fitting.  I still do not want to part with my receiver.

My thoughts on the $180 was total.  Should have been clearer I guess.  By the time one spends $130 for a barrel, say, 15 for shipping, that's at $145, not far away.   Plus for now anyway, NEF has way more calibers.  But I'm sure they're (CVA) testing the waters.

Besides, TC barrels are at least $200 and customs go way up from there.  I have held TC's and except for the strength, I do not see the difference in money.  My opinion only.  The lock up might be stronger but didn't feel that way to me.  The trigger was no better than my 223 UV, in fact it was not as good.  Mine came from the factory that way.

I have handled the Mossbergs and came close to buying one.  Trigger was very nice, lock-up solid, seemed more so than the TC, but just like the TC I do not like the lever-under-the-triggerguard idea.  Too inconvient to reload.

looks to me like the Optima opens the same way.  No thanks.  Besides I cannot see it being any more accurate than the NEF's that I have.  My 223 shoots dime size groups and the 243 is every bit as promissing.

To each his own.  They may well be fine rifles but not for me.

Never handled a CVA rifle or ML for that matter.  So my comparison was going by online looks only.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
CVA-FWIW
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2005, 09:05:04 PM »
Thanks Handi...I kinda figured I misunderstood ya...and I also figured if the Spanish get it right...there's no reason NEF can't do the same thing with our Handirifles...ya know :D

Mac

Offline Pick_Kimbel

If I didn't know any better
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2005, 06:25:57 PM »
I'd swear that those were Baikal single shots that were formerly imported by EAA.

Pick
ΒΆ
Molon Labe!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
CVA-FWIW
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2005, 07:10:52 PM »
Pick:

I don't think so...these are made in Spain...but they do look simalar...and one thing is for sure...they really don't like to call anyone back...I got 2 calls into them...no one has even returned my calls...the folks at Marlin/NEF have always returned my calls...

Mac

Offline tom barthel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
CVA OPTIMA
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2005, 03:37:28 AM »
Great.  If H&R decides against beefing up their cc my next rifle may be cva.  This should shake them up.  It's time to change and improve or get left behind.  That's business.  I like my hand-rifles.  I hope Diana Lynch exerts some positive influence on the other board members.  I would rather stay with H&R.  But, only if i'm wanted as a customer.      

Tom

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
Factory Barrel Fitting
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2005, 09:32:13 AM »
I've handled a few T/C's and all is not well in barrel fit land. I found one at random at Bass Pro in Toronto that had a loose barrel. ( I mean real loose) If you buy a rifle with the interchangable feature like T/C, beware you might get one at "minimum-material -condition'. That is, all the parts are to spec but you have maxinum clearance and quite possibly a sloppy barrel fit. Check with the T/C forum . I believe I saw some complaints along these lines there. And T/C just backed away saying the gun was to spec.

Custom fitting, if carried out correctly, minimizes clearances and thereby reduces the chance of getting a loose fit-up.