Author Topic: Break it to him gently  (Read 920 times)

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
Break it to him gently
« on: June 03, 2005, 05:47:44 PM »
Stole this one from the surplus rifle site!  :grin:

A group of Australian army recruits were in the basic stage of infantry training at Kapooka. Word came through to HQ that one of the young recruits' father had died of a heart attack. The CO took aside the Sergeant-Major and told him:

"Young Pike's father died last night of a heart attack. Being a father figure to the lads, i think you should break it to him."

"Consider it done, Sir"

So the Sergeant bounds off to the morning parade. It starts with Roll-call at the end of which the Sergeant-Major announced:

"Private Pike, take one step forward"

He tentatively did.

"Private Pike, your father died of a heart attack last night. Platoon, dismissed."

And with that, everybody shuffled off. Except Private Pike, who was glued to the stop, struck down with Grief.

After two weeks break to attend the funeral and spend time with his family, he rejoined the training. After another two weeks word came through to HQ that his mother had just died in a car accident. The CO took aside the Sergeant Major again;

"Listen Sergeant Major, Private Pike's mother died last night in a car accident. What you did last time was a bit blunt, but you need to get this kind of thing right. Try and break it to the boy slowly, and let him think it through himself."

"No worries, Sir."

So the Sergeant-Major walks off again to the morning parade. With his troops lined up he does the roll-call and and then barks:

"Hands up who has a mother?

PRIVATE PIKE, WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?"
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Break it to him gently
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 03:21:06 AM »
Ouch.  Mikey.

Offline JPSaxMan

Break it to him gently
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 03:26:53 PM »
I'd have punched that sergeant right in the nads if he delivered such news to me.  :evil:
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline tomhargrove

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Break it to him gently
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 05:42:56 AM »
i think i know that sgt. :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

"war does not decide what is right ,rather only what is left"

Offline bullet maker

• A Real Regular
Break it to him gently
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 02:35:41 AM »
Hey jh45gun :D

I got a true story, that happened before I retired from the Burlington Northern/Sante Fe railroad.

Back when Burlington bought out Frisco Railroad (1980), thats here in Tulsa, Okla. They moved alot of their own personnel here to the south from Cicero ? New York. One of the biggest mouths from yankee land, was one of our bosses. I won`t name the scum bucket.
   Anyhow one of the engineers, four kids was killed in an auto accident, while the engineer was out of town working on the train. I overheard this scum bag trainmaster talking to another another trainmaster that he had to call engineer xxx to tell him that he needed to come home, because one of his kids was killed, in a horrific car accident. This trainmaster called the engineer, and said, xxxx, how many kids do you have? I quess the engineer replied 4. The scumbag trainmaster then said, (well you better come back home cause you only have 3 now).

Needless to say, this scumbag trainmaster, was transferred back to yankee land in the middle of the night, and never heard from again.

this is a true story. :cry:

bullet maker
I like to make bullets, handload, shooting of all types, hunting, fishing, taking pictures, reading, grandchildren, 4 wheeling, eating out often.

Offline SAWgunner

• Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
Break it to him gently
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 05:43:02 AM »
Quote from: JPSaxMan
I'd have punched that sergeant right in the nads if he delivered such news to me.  :evil:

Probably Just once.   :wink:

Staff Sergeant Sawgunner
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23

Offline jh45gun

Break it to him gently
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 08:23:03 AM »
Quote from: bullet maker
Hey jh45gun :D

I got a true story, that happened before I retired from the Burlington Northern/Sante Fe railroad.

Back when Burlington bought out Frisco Railroad (1980), thats here in Tulsa, Okla. They moved alot of their own personnel here to the south from Cicero ? New York. One of the biggest mouths from yankee land, was one of our bosses. I won`t name the scum bucket.
   Anyhow one of the engineers, four kids was killed in an auto accident, while the engineer was out of town working on the train. I overheard this scum bag trainmaster talking to another another trainmaster that he had to call engineer xxx to tell him that he needed to come home, because one of his kids was killed, in a horrific car accident. This trainmaster called the engineer, and said, xxxx, how many kids do you have? I quess the engineer replied 4. The scumbag trainmaster then said, (well you better come back home cause you only have 3 now).

Needless to say, this scumbag trainmaster, was transferred back to yankee land in the middle of the night, and never heard from again.

this is a true story. :cry:

bullet maker

Yep thats pretty crude. my post was of course a joke though it may be considered black humor. But then lots of jokes are based on real incidences so I can believe your story is a true one.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline tubbythetuba

• Avid Poster
Break it to him gently
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 07:47:24 AM »
Another true one:

A trumpter's Mother had died and the First Sergeant didn't tell him until the Dance Band gig was finished in order that the news didn't didn't affect the guys performance at the gig or prevent him from playing all together.
That Sound You Hear In The Woods While Hunting  Is Deer Laughing