Author Topic: Nosler Partition .308  (Read 755 times)

Offline Buckfever

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Nosler Partition .308
« on: July 17, 2005, 03:22:59 AM »
I have noticed that the .308 caliber Nosler Partitions have performed with a lot less fragmentation on large whitetails.  They seem to have bigger exit holes also.  This is compared to other non-30 caliber Partitions I have used.  My only theory is they are used in the 30-06 and 300's so they are made to perform for those higher velocity calibers.  It has actually been a nice feature to have for my .308 because they drive bone very well.  Anybody got any other ideas on why this bullet plays tougher in a .308?  
Thanks  Buckfever

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Nosler Partition .308
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 06:23:12 AM »
I just got a 308 and going to start reloading for it. Starting out, going to use   Barnes 130 grain Boattail XLC.  Will try the Noslers if these don't work out. Will enjoy trying different loads and bullets.Barnes and Noslers are going to be my main choice.

Offline 147 Grain

• Avid Poster
Re: Nosler Partition .308
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 07:54:54 AM »
Quote from: Buckfever
I have noticed that the .308 caliber Nosler Partitions have performed with a lot less fragmentation on large whitetails.  They seem to have bigger exit holes also.  This is compared to other non-30 caliber Partitions I have used.  My only theory is they are used in the 30-06 and 300's so they are made to perform for those higher velocity calibers.  It has actually been a nice feature to have for my .308 because they drive bone very well.  Anybody got any other ideas on why this bullet plays tougher in a .308?  
Thanks  Buckfever

You are right about lower velocity Partitions being toned down.  Many bullets will penetrate more (up to a point) at slower speeds.
45 ACP 230-gr. Double Tap Gold Dot = 1,010 fps / 15.3" & .95"    :D

Aim for the Triangle Area between armpits & throat.

Offline ScoutMan

• Contributor
For What It's Worth
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 11:54:53 AM »
My load, 42 gr. 3031; 165 gr. Nosler Partition; Federal Brass; Federal Primers.  My rifle is a Ruger Compact with 16,5" barrel. By extrapolation, I think I' m  getting about 2,500 fps in the short barrel
If you can get closer, get closer
If you can get steadier, get steadier.

A telescope helps you see; it does not help you hold and squeeze.-Jeff Cooper