Author Topic: Latest Handi Just Got Here!  (Read 705 times)

Offline Daniel Laws

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
Latest Handi Just Got Here!
« on: June 04, 2005, 07:28:53 PM »
Just picked up the newest handi today.   280 synthetic.  Yeah, I know-plastic is ugly-but it doesnt get banged up as bad being dragged up into a tree stand on a rope.  Does any one have any good loads for this caliber?  I want to use 140 or 150 gr. bullets.  So far I only have 5 handis-223 bull barrel, 25-06, BC, and a 357 that I resurrected from a pawn shop.  The 357 is perfect for teaching my 10 year old to shoot.  Its loud enough to be impressive, with no recoil.  Good thing I reload 38 specials.  He'd break me up buying ammo.  Also, thanks for the info on the barrel program.  One of mine is going back for a 7.62x39, a .243, and a .500 Smith and Wesson.  Any idea on when the .500 will be available?  I dont want to be hung up waiting for 3 months while NEF gets around to tooling up.  You guys warned me about this handi addiction-NEF should give the first one away free-Just to get you hooked.

Offline Varminter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 07:43:16 PM »
Congrats on the great rifle. I wish i had gotten the 280 instead of the 270 but i couldn't pass up the deal that was offered to me. Synthetic would have been my choice, NEF must use the cheapest wood they can find for their wood stocks they are just ugly. But every once in awhile you get one that just blows your mind. I think the count on the 500 S&W is gettin down to about 3 weeks. http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=64433
These rifles are great even though i've thinned my collection from a 243, 270, 44, 223, 20 gauge, 12 gauge down to just my 223 and 44 mag. Keep the collection goin you've got a good start but awhile to go to catch up to Quick.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Offline Daniel Laws

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 08:55:51 AM »
My wallet and my wife will conspire to keep me from ever catching Quick on the number of handis that I can afford.  So far I have sold a Browning A-bolt and have two TC contenders for sale to finance my addiction.  Oh well, I guess its cheaper than a girlfriend, and at my age, probably more fun.  I'll probably have to sell a kidney to buy a 35 Whelen.  Poverty stinks!  Just kidding guys.  Its just after the first half dozen, they do get a little harder to justify.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 09:09:33 AM »
but after the second half dozen the new one's just blend in and the wife never knows!!! Or, when you buy a new one give it to her as a gift so she can spend some "quality" time with you at the range and reloading!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline U.P. Bulldog

• http://www.frontierguns.com
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 04:48:01 AM »
Daniel,
Congradulations!
Have you got a chance to shoot it yet?
How did it do?

U.P. Bulldog
"Blessed be the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle"

Psalm of David, 144:1

Handi-Rifle 45/70

S&W 686 W/ 200gr Cor-Bon Hardcast

Offline lostsniper308

• A Real Regular
  • old beaten up Martini-Henry .303 we found.
    • My Facebook account
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 05:01:01 AM »
hmm my H&R is lonely maybe i should add another? congrats BTW
B Co. 1-22Inf 1st BCT 4th Infantry Division
OIF 08-09 out of the army now

Offline DPRinks

• Avid Poster
Handi rifles
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 03:56:31 PM »
Daniel;
Don't give up, 2 weeks ago I found a RMEF '96 commerative with a 3-9x50 Bushnell, between excellent and like new, $250 plus tax.
Am working up 204gr rn gc loads now.
.35 Whelen really takes a bunch of powder.
Don :grin:
D. Rinks

Offline Daniel Laws

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 06:29:21 AM »
If you are just sick about paying so much for a 35 Whelen, I'll be gald to help out a fellow addict and take it off your hands.  I might even allow you to make, say, 5 bucks on the deal.  Out of the goodness of my heart you understand.  But seriously, if anyone knows the whereabouts of a 35 for sale, please PM and let me know.  And no, I havent got to shoot the 280 yet.  Working on my honeydo list to get out of the doghouse.  Will let you know how it shoots.  I've JB'd the barrel and am ready.

Offline Daniel Laws

• Avid Poster
35 Whelen
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 03:14:40 AM »
There is a gun show in Hickory NC in two weeks.  If there is a 35 Whelen there, the Visa card had better be up to the strain.